F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How long do you keep your car for, and why?
GetBMWParts

06-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
I usually keep my cars until they are about 5 years old. All my previous cars have been 'nearly new' so this has been 3-4.5 years of ownership.

This kind of age seems a reasonable balance of depreciation vs reliability to me.
This sort of buying model is one often suggested by the experts for getting the best value out of a car, particularly beneficial if you can buy a well optioned nearly new car. It is the model I'm using this time around and makes absolute sense for keeping costs down, or getting into a better car.

As a general point, I suppose it really depends on what the priorities are and whether we want the best value out of a car purchase. Do we buy on a whim, easily get fed up with a car, regardless of the cost of change. Or whether we calculate a "pence per mile" for motoring and put a ceiling on our costs. Then choose a car which best fits our needs and gives the best value. Easy to waste money, following motoring dreams, or following the marketing men's lure. Remember there is always a better, faster model out there to get our wallets open, often when not necessary... then the man math clicks in.

To be honest, any BMW ought to give an owner at least 6-years use without needing to change. Clearly keeping a car that long helps amortise the costs, which is what limits most users choice anyway.

I had a very successful German business colleague who couldn't understand our UK mentality of changing cars on a 'time' basis. He would expect to drive 250,000 - 300,000 kms in his Mercedes before handing it down to another family member. He'd then get another new Merc, do the same again.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #24
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

We usually have 2 or 3 cars depending when.

When first learnt to drive I was getting cheap as chips 2k-3k cars and running in to ground, all were the 80's boy racer types, since lived in top of Scotland on the coast and commuted weekly to Newcastle, life expectancy was rather limited (car and myself lol).

Getting married changed that, it was then more sensible (and more expensive cars x2)

So I would change mine pretty much when major things started breaking, the family car was every 5 years or in case of Carlton 8 and 175k miles.

Germany was simple, tax free and discounts, BMW/ Mercedes 15k thank you.

Changed cars there pretty much yearly.

Since 2004, we run one car to it's maximum usually from new or 1k miles to about 8 years.
The other we change in between every 2or 3 years.

So my 2007 Mondeo is now due change, due to age not mileage (only 34k miles or so)

Not had many BMW's as they are a lot of cars out there that are better.

Will keep my 330d long term or if a damn good deal comes up on a 335i xdrive...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #25
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

New car tech is on concern for changing between two and half to three years. I've just moved from a 2010 E61, 5series to a 2012, 335i and the tech is amazing. Also judging when values are right to both sell and buy. I would not buy new as in my experience there are lots of well specified, low mileage BMW's in the market place. Of course you can't be as specific but it is remarkable what is available. I'm already considering what I may replace my current model with in two years time.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

I pay cash for a brand new car every 10 years. My secret to avoiding the "new car itch" is to spend whatever it takes to keep the car well mainttined -- both mechanically and cosmetically.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #27
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep
Drives: Sky Grey 330e tour msport pro

normally change mine whenever I get bored or when i feel fed up not having the latest shape!!! LOL
      06-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #28
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

The longest I've had a car for was 4 years, and that was all down to finances at the time. Usually crashing (either by me or into me) is the reason for a change (not written off). Last 3 cars have all been <2 years.

My problem is the "new car itch" so really I should buy a 2 year old car for lots less than new and only keep it two years!
      06-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #29
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

I wish I was as sensible and unemotive as some of you describe with your own choices, I am a marketing gift as I get lured in like a magpie by shiny new cars
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #30
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

I change about every 2 years, solely because I'm a car nut and get bored.

My cycle goes something like this:

1) Research cars for months, changing my mind a lot. I try to avoid going to a dealer during this phase, I just read articles, frequent user forums and watch YouTube videos.

2) At some point I'll visit a dealer because something piques my interest. I'll usually buy something within a month or two of reaching this stage. Whether I buy new or nearly new depends on what I find and what offers are on at that time. Some years ago it was hard to beat nearly new, nowadays much better discounts and deals on new cars make the decision murkier.

3) Get really excited about my new car arriving, which can last days to months depending on the lead time on whatever I bought.

4) Spend a blissful 6 months or so with my lovely new car.

5) Go off cars for a bit and start looking at computers, bikes or whatever else takes my fancy. The main purpose of this is to avoid point 1)

6) Go to 1)

I've tended to buy cash (with a loan) or PCP. Considered leasing the last couple of times but got a PCP deal close enough not to bother.

Right now I'm in stage 1 with my F30, though I am really loving it, and it is probably in negative equity so will likely stay at this stage for a while.

In the meantime we've just replaced my wife's Nissan Qashqai +2 with a new Hyundai i10 city car and a Mazda Bongo camper van, which will stave off the boredom for a bit!

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #31
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
I change about every 2 years, solely because I'm a car nut and get bored.

My cycle goes something like this:

1) Research cars for months, changing my mind a lot. I try to avoid going to a dealer during this phase, I just read articles, frequent user forums and watch YouTube videos.

2) At some point I'll visit a dealer because something piques my interest. I'll usually buy something within a month or two of reaching this stage. Whether I buy new or nearly new depends on what I find and what offers are on at that time. Some years ago it was hard to beat nearly new, nowadays much better discounts and deals on new cars make the decision murkier.

3) Get really excited about my new car arriving, which can last days to months depending on the lead time on whatever I bought.

4) Spend a blissful 6 months or so with my lovely new car.

5) Go off cars for a bit and start looking at computers, bikes or whatever else takes my fancy. The main purpose of this is to avoid point 1)

6) Go to 1)

I've tended to buy cash (with a loan) or PCP. Considered leasing the last couple of times but got a PCP deal close enough not to bother.

Right now I'm in stage 1 with my F30, though I am really loving it, and it is probably in negative equity so will likely stay at this stage for a while.

In the meantime we've just replaced my wife's Nissan Qashqai +2 with a new Hyundai i10 city car and a Mazda Bongo camper van, which will stave off the boredom for a bit!
Maybe you need a 330d or 335d/335i. You might not get bored as quickly.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:53 AM   #32
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

I have always in the past bought a nearly new, second or third hand car and then driven it until it is ready for the scrapyard. Two of my cars have lasted about 150,000 miles and one around 250,000 miles. I'm now on my seventh car.

As I had a change in personal circumstance I decided to buy new and get the options that I wanted, not the options that someone else wanted. I listed all of the items that I wanted in my new car, set my budget (loosely) and then worked out what car fitted.

I intend to keep my car for along as possible. Or until it becomes uneconomical to repair. It's now just over a year old with 15,000 miles on it. It just keeps on getting better. The problem would be what to replace it with.
      06-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #33
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Peacock View Post
I wish I was as sensible and unemotive as some of you describe with your own choices, I am a marketing gift as I get lured in like a magpie by shiny new cars
Keep your car in shiny new condition.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #34
happycow6171
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Well as some of you know, it started in march 12 with the z4 2.0i, june 12 x5 40d arrived, september 12 m135i arrived, march 13 m135i dissapeared, april 13 330d xdrive touring arrived, october 13 x5 dissapeared, 330d xdrive saloon arrived october 13, march 335d touring arrived march 14, 330d x drive saloon px,
435i convertible arrived may 14, 330d xdrive touring px.
I am now trying to stay with these cars for a while now, its been fun and the missus is very patient...!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #35
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Keep your car in shiny new condition.
Its still the same car, its the lure of something different/faster/bigger/smaller that I chase.......
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #36
matk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

I only changed my last one because i buckled both wheels under the car and it never felt the same again, this one i need to try and keep a bit longer as I need to get on the property ladder. But trust me it doesn't stop me looking and the LCI will make me think twice even tho its essentially the same car.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #37
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Whenever I get bored. However since I normally have 2 or 3 vehicles on the go at once and generally changing the cheaper ones and making sure they are all very different types of vehicle keeps cost down and freshness quotient high

Currently have the F30 and 350z a proper Landy and a YZF600-R. (and the missus 's 1er)
Appreciate 0