F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Should the police chase cars?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Should the police chase cars?

There was a pretty big incident just down the road from me this weekend where 2 lads stole a Fiesta ST and were chased through a busy road / residential area at pretty high speeds 90+.

This was just after 3pm on Friday afternoon just after the schools finished, they hit a grandmother and 4 year old on their way back from primary school, the little girl died last night from her injuries and the grandmother is critical.

Being so close to home there has been a big social media presence which is to be expected.

Quite surprisingly though alongside the baying for blood for the car thieves is the discussion about whether or not the police should have been pursuing the car at such high speeds.

I'm in 2 minds here because I'd obviously want the scrotes caught but pushing them and the car beyond their limits have resulted in an innocent family being destroyed!

ETA LINK http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/1...d_hit_and_run/

Last edited by Broncho; 03-26-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
That's a real tough question and a tough choice. For the police

You've got to balance public safety ( inc the scrotes unfortunately ) with law enforcement

My personal thoughts are that while no car etc is worth a loss of innocent life is that I would lay the blame totally at the feet of the scrotes. Even if the police weren't in pursuit there's nothing to say they wouldn't have driven like that any way.

If it was just the scrotes injured etc not really a big issue in my eyes.
      03-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
The solution is blindingly obvious.

Fit hellfire missiles to police helecopters.

Stolen car? One hellfire missile later, problem solved
Yep I am all for this or rather producing a method to fry / stop a car at distance.

People involved in car chases should just be dragged from the car, shot in back of head.

Simple and saves blocking up the courts.

I think we missed a trick when they stopped hanging people at crossroads (well was bit of a pants soap).
Appreciate 5
      03-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

I can understand the points made, if police don't chase...they have no need to run away, therefore the probability they speed etc is low.

On the other hand...stolen car...used for drugs etc... they may want to drive at that speed because they can and know they won't be caught etc...

Chicken and egg really, obviously awful for the family destroyed, but sometimes no matter what else could or couldn't have been done, it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

The Americans would have shot first...shot the tyres...I would happily have he police do that here.
      03-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Tough one really.

Follow at a distance sounds great usually these things explode and about 5 pikey crims al sprint off in opposite directions!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

We can't just let people take what's not theirs and not have a Police force that will take action, the deaths lay right at the feet of the maladjusted scrotes that chose to take what wasn't theirs.

I hope they get charged for causing death due to dangerous driving.

Property rights and the protection of them is one of the fundamentals of a safe society without that you're looking at anarchy.
      03-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Maybe the question is should scrotes that try to evade police by failing to stop be given an immediate and lengthy custodial sentence?

If there is no real punishment for doing it, which really there isn't at this time, then it will continue.

The following officer can always stop the pursuit if feel it is too dangerous, or they will be stood down if it is deemed too dangerous by control.

It is always a judgement call for the officer, as they will have this on their conscience too if something terrible happens, and many a pursuit is terminated as there will always be a next time.

The scrotes have to be lucky every time to get away, police only need to get lucky once.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Police are damned if they do. Damned if they don't. Already they are having to fight crime with one arm behind their back.
Personally I would make the pursued liable for costs of their apprehension including police costs for the pursuit and any damage caused. If they can't pay in cash then prison time with hard labour. Alternatively just ram the fuckers off the road as soon as possible, no come back on the police regardless of injuries or death.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

It does seem like there must be a technological solution to this, or at least there could be within a decade. Every car could have some black box connected via 4G, and a trigger signal from a central police system either stops the car immediately and locks the doors or does it gradually if it would be safer. Clearly the technology would have to be very secure.

On another matter, when prisoners/criminals sue for some human rights infringement, I would suspend payment of any proceeds until every one of their victims had been contacted and offered the chance to sue them.
Appreciate 1
rich100874.50
      03-27-2017, 01:58 AM   #10
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

What about using a magnetic GPS tag, hit the car, then just hang back and watch where they are going.

I don't think you can let them off, if they know the police won't chase, then they will do it more, but as many say there has got to be a better way
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 03:37 AM   #11
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

Cover the subject pretty well

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
It does seem like there must be a technological solution to this, or at least there could be within a decade. Every car could have some black box connected via 4G, and a trigger signal from a central police system either stops the car immediately and locks the doors or does it gradually if it would be safer. Clearly the technology would have to be very secure.

On another matter, when prisoners/criminals sue for some human rights infringement, I would suspend payment of any proceeds until every one of their victims had been contacted and offered the chance to sue them.
If the day arrives when the police (or perhaps any agency : local council ? social services ? insurer ?) has the power and the capability to brick a vehicle remotely then it will be a sad day indeed. A massive invasion of personal freedoms.

What will the criteria be ? Attempting to evade a police pursuit ? Speeding ? Child safety ? Not indicating ? Looking at someone in a funny way ? Or the classic and vague "reasonable cause" ?

The police are in a difficult position (apprehension versus public safety) but they are permitted to exercise judgement and to cease a pursuit. Maybe a loading factor on any sentence given to those eventually apprehended would provide an incentive : double the original sentence if you didn't stop for police.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssond View Post
What about using a magnetic GPS tag, hit the car, then just hang back and watch where they are going.

I don't think you can let them off, if they know the police won't chase, then they will do it more, but as many say there has got to be a better way
Firing a high speed projectile from a moving vehicle ? Sounds like a recipe for damage to people and property in the background. Plus, would have to be a very strong magnet to resist bouncing off the bodywork, which is increasingly plastic these days (especially bumpers).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Could be a good opportunity for drones here. Roof-mounted drone; police laser-sights the moving vehicle; drone locks-on and then uses visual recognition to track the car plus is programmed to follow the driver if the vehicle is abandoned (visual and infra red tracking).

Drone communicates its GPS coordinates to police, including helicopter.

Drone could even 'buzz' the driver and spray them with smart water.

Not sure how many drones can fly at 100mph though, and yes there are a lot of safety issues with this solution !
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
If the day arrives when the police (or perhaps any agency : local council ? social services ? insurer ?) has the power and the capability to brick a vehicle remotely then it will be a sad day indeed. A massive invasion of personal freedoms.

What will the criteria be ? Attempting to evade a police pursuit ? Speeding ? Child safety ? Not indicating ? Looking at someone in a funny way ? Or the classic and vague "reasonable cause" ?
I would say pretty much the same criteria they use to decide on pursuing a vehicle which fails to stop.

I'm not suggesting that they can stop people for 'Looking at me in a funny way', 'urinating in a public convenience', or 'stepping on the cracks in the pavement' to use another Not the Nine O'Clock News gag

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #16
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

I would say pretty much the same criteria they use to decide on pursuing a vehicle which fails to stop.

I'm not suggesting that they can stop people for 'Looking at me in a funny way', 'urinating in a public convenience', or 'stepping on the cracks in the pavement' to use another Not the Nine O'Clock News gag

Classic ! At least one other person got the reference
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #17
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

The scum should be charged with Manslaughter banged up even if its the police who ultimately hit someone. At the end of the day the scum have a choice - they don't have to drive like that and face the music. RIP little girl.
Digressing - I recall on a US crime show, some gang decided to drive by some kid in the street, said kid shot back (I know - WTF) anyway he killed one of the gang. The surviving gang members were charged with 2nd degree murder of the one that was killed. Good justice.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 03:59 AM   #18
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Why dont they use/develop those emp things in 2Fast2Furious?
      03-28-2017, 04:09 AM   #19
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

This is an interesting subject and alternatives to pursuit are always being looked at.You may not be aware of the Starchase system...
http://starchase.com/about.php
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #20
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Yes! The police should be armed then they could shoot their tyres out!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #21
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I had an ex-copper friend. It was the local policy of that force that residential chases were dangerous. There had already been accidents of 60 in a 30 - one including the death of a 4 year old girl. He felt there were too many heroes who ignored this and put more lives at risk than necessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #22
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

I was discussing this with a guy from the home office a few years ago. He said they'd looked into developing a kind of electrical disruptor, which would be fired from the police car. There were loads of safety and technical issues, not least the point mentioned above about plastic car panels, and it got dropped.

I think drones will probably be the answer.
Appreciate 0