F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > MY 2013 ED MG M-Sport xDrive
Studio RSR

07-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #45
Gymkhana
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 E46

Incredible experience i belive it was. and it is.
My congrats. to you ! ! !
I have to admit ,that Xdrive stance with m-sport pack looks really nice and aggressive from those back view angle photos.
The first thought i had was "look,its M3-alike stance !" may sound weird but still it has something in common i think )))

vs
      07-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #46
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Got the ZPT summer performance mixed tires. Excellent road feel and feedback. Highly recommended.
tell me more about the tires - are they bridgestones? or what?
      07-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #47
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Love that rear bumper!!!!! My 2nd favorite M Sport touch after the Steering Wheel Congrats

And thank you for serving us.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #48
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Quote:
Finally got it. The BMW Welt delivery was an awesome experience. Will share some thoughts later.

can you verify if the 13' models have homelink and the auto folding exterior mirrors as standard?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #49
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Looks great, you can lower, I have my e90 XDrive lowered, but I would probably not do it on the F30. I think the car looks fine and lowering it does have some disadvantages for driving in snow and harsh bumps.
Concur. For me, car handling is a priority over visual aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, I can certainly appreciated the aesthetics of a lowered race car inspired look. It definitely looks cool. But ultimately at the end of the day, I want to car to feel light, perky, agile, and provide tenacious tactile feedback like its sliding on ice in curves and hills. So I might do something later, but for now I'm perfectly content to test the limits of the stock suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
What tires did they give you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
I'll let you know as soon as I get the car back. It's still in the shop for now. Hopefully tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymkhana View Post
Incredible experience i belive it was. and it is.
My congrats. to you ! ! !
I have to admit ,that Xdrive stance with m-sport pack looks really nice and aggressive from those back view angle photos.
The first thought i had was "look,its M3-alike stance !" may sound weird but still it has something in common i think )))
Thanks. The front, rear, and overall design is still growing on me. I'm liking it more each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
Love that rear bumper!!!!! My 2nd favorite M Sport touch after the Steering Wheel Congrats
And thank you for serving us.
Concur. I was thinking about going with the Sport Line and the M steering wheel tipped me over the edge. Appreciate your support of the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
can you verify if the 13' models have homelink and the auto folding exterior mirrors as standard?
It has the auto folding side mirrors but it is activated with a switch on the drivers door arm rest. I'll need to check on the homelink.

I didn't catch everyone's comments but thanks for all the positive comments and also for supporting the service.

Lastly, SkaTeeB thanks for providing the link. I read the thread and it stated that the FEM control unit had to be replaced. Stopped by the BMW dealership after work to get an update and sure enough they stated that the FEM unit had to be replaced. It's on order and it will be shipped from the Munich assembly line, where I just happened to pick up the car Saturday, for delivery tomorrow. I'm getting the distinct impression they are replacing with like replacement part. Which, if I not mistaken, will fault out again in the next heavy rain. Seems I may have to live with this for about a year or so until they develop a permanent fix (god willing).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #50
Gymkhana
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Dude, I've nearly forgot my question )
its in my mind all over the period since i ordered my xdrive F30 )
The question is - does it come with the same rim width all around ? or xdrive still comes with 8.0j front and 8.5j rear width ?
i was to buy m-performance rims and I just wonder if i can get the offered set up featuring different width or i need to make a partial order. then again - what width do i need ?
Thanks in advance.
      07-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #51
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymkhana View Post
Dude, I've nearly forgot my question )
its in my mind all over the period since i ordered my xdrive F30 )
The question is - does it come with the same rim width all around ? or xdrive still comes with 8.0j front and 8.5j rear width ?
i was to buy m-performance rims and I just wonder if i can get the offered set up featuring different width or i need to make a partial order. then again - what width do i need ?
Thanks in advance.
Each model/line have different options. The 335i M Sport Line options are:

2PP 18" M light alloy wheels Star-spoke style 400 M (18x8 front/rear) or mixed (18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear).

2PE 18" M light alloy wheels Star-spoke style 400 M w/mixed or (19x8 front and 19x8.5 rear)

2PF 19" M light alloy wheels Star-spoke style 403 M with mixed tires (19x8 front and 19x8.5 rear) +$900.00 additional up charge.

I opted for the 2PE 18" w/mixed tires (18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #52
Gymkhana
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Each model/line have different options. The 335i M Sport Line options are:

2PP 18" M light alloy wheels Star-spoke style 400 M (18x8 front/rear) or mixed (18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear).

2PE 18" M light alloy wheels Star-spoke style 400 M w/mixed or (19x8 front and 19x8.5 rear)

2PF 19" M light alloy wheels Star-spoke style 403 M with mixed tires (19x8 front and 19x8.5 rear) +$900.00 additional up charge.

I opted for the 2PE 18" w/mixed tires (18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear)
It means then, that BMW AWD system is suitable for different sized wheels. ?
The point is that my friends golf R AWD featuring haldex, for example, isnt suitable for any difference in tyre width ,cause it may harm the transmission.
Msport 328 xdrive is in my order. Already produced.
And, well, the only thing i was optioned on wheels was the style of it )
Thank you for clarifying.
Picking up M-performance rims without a doubt then
      07-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #53
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

BMW Group

BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group

Are you listening? This is unacceptable. What is being done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carconvert View Post
So I'm on the road driving home from work today, its pouring rain, and out of the blue the cluster area throws up a visual warning me that the parking brake is on (I verified it wasnt on), then the hazard lights come on, the windshield wipers start malfunctioning as in they start going in slow-motion, and the audible warning chime comes on. I immediately pull over to the shoulder, the car shuts off because of the auto start (expected), but the hazards stay on and I can't manually turn them off. The centre master unlock button is also unresponsive. I get out of the car doing the open tiwce thingy to do a visual inspection of the exterior (not sure what I was looking for) started the car up again, I tried to disable the auto start/stop before driving off, same thing... the audible and visual warnings continue all the way home. Now I'm in my garage at home but the hazards wont turn off. So now its Friday evening, BMW service isn't open til Monday, and I'm afraid the battery will die over the weekend due to the hazards flashing continously.
Quote:
Did a bit of research and it appears to be a known issue:

Bulletin Number: SIB-61-02-12
BMW: ELECTRONIC MALFUNCTION AND VARIOUS CHECK CONTROL MESSAGES ARE DISPLAYED IN CID (CENTRAL INFORMATION DISPLAY) AND INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. *PE

Bulletin Number: SIB-61-09-12
BMW: VARIOUS ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTIONS RELATED TO THE FEM. WINDSHIELD WIPERS MAY NOT STAY IN PARKED POSITION. WIPERS OPERATE WHEN SWITCHED OFF. WIPERS PARTIALLY MOVE WHEN SWITCHED ON. HAZARD WARNING LIGHTS FLASH PERMANENTLY. *KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW View Post
Weak man - sorry to hear this. Make sure to take it in tomorrow. You can always start it and run it for a while to charge the battery later tonight. On the plus side - if you get this on record now, And they cant fix it and you keep having the issue, you may be a candidate for a lemon law case and get all of your money back which you can then apply to a new car and essentially drive this free for months or more - been there, done that. My 2008 335i was lemon law'd after 17 months - got every penny back including tax, license, all payments, etc. essentially drove a next to free car for a year and a half then got a phat 34K check to use as a down on my next car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Based on what you were describing it seems likely that water might have gotten into a seal somewhere and caused an intermittent electrical fault. Hope everything works out.
Which dealership was this?
Quote:
Update: Dealer says they need to replace the FEM: Front Electronics Module. I made them show me and it's a little rectangular box which is accessed on the passenger interior side right beneath the gove box. Should be done and ready for tomorrow -- drove the x1 home as a loaner... miss the car already. No water found in the electronics module...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeffreyt View Post
Any updates on the car?

I actually just had this happen to my car yesterday, almost exact same as yours. It was raining, started car up and started driving, and I noticed the car was chiming at me and said the parking brake was on. Stopped and checked and it wasn't. Tried to pull it and release and see if the car would react different, nope. Tried to restart car, and no change. Decided to start driving home as hail was coming and I didn't want my car out in it. Emergency lights suddenly come on while driving and won't go off. I call BMW assist and they say I should tow it in, so I'm waiting and suddenly hail starts falling so I scramble home to my garage (luckily no damage) but in the mean time the emergency light suddenly goes off and now are completely inoperable, the auto start/stop manual turn off won't work now, windshield wipers will start but won't turn off properly (even stayed on when I turned the car off once) and the parking lights read as on no matter if they are or aren't.

Taking it in to Mortiz BMW in Arlington Texas tomorrow (Didn't have a loaner today). Gonna just print this thread for them. Thanks a lot guys!

Oh, in case anyone is wondering it's a 2012 328i Sport (production 2/2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrows2100 View Post
+1 on this problem.

Fast lane of motorway.. Raining. The wipers were going super fast so I turned the sensitivity switch down a notch. The wipers stopped working completely and then all of a sudden 'Parking Brake' chime and warning comes on, all doors unlock, hazard lights are on permanently and wipers go crazy again.

Find a way onto the hard shoulder and try turning everything off. Hazards were solid on as were wipers. Car otherwise would start fine but would go crazy as it thought handbrake was on.

BMW Assist sent out recovery who had to tow it. Just as we got o drive it on the flatbed the engine wouldn't start. The wheel (being electrically assisted) was locked and it had to get dragged up via winch/skates.

The best part? Being only 24 I couldn't get a 'similar' car from Enterprise. They tried to hook me up with a Fiat 500 which I managed to change... For a Hyundai i30 =\

Can't wait to get down to the dealership tomorrow and see what they can sort out whilst cars in for repair. BMW call center previously said it wouldn't be a problem getting another similar from Enterprise =\

Hopefully it's a known enough fault that it's an easy diagnosis. If they take ages I'll direct them here (don't want to tell them their job). But I also hope it isn't such a well known fault the part is out of stock. Unless I get an M3 i'd rather just have my 318d back quick for fuel economy.

I'll keep you guys updated as this seems like it might become a bit of a flaw...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pany View Post
I've now how this problem occur for a second time. The FEM was replaced first time, and going to be replaced again.
Quote:
Update:

My car has already had the FEM replaced as said previously in this thread. However I got an error the other day saying:
"Possible imminent failure of windscreen wipers."

So. Since its normally the wipers that go mental pre FEM replacement I am thinking I might be related (although the error message is a new one)

The car still drives fine and now the error has disappeared.

I'm beginning to worry that there's a problem with the sealing of the electrics against heavy rain. BMW at the moment are thinking its a software/programming fault and are waiting on a special 'PUMA' or something arriving to help with sorting it.

I'll keep this thread updated with any changes...
Quote:
Update:

Summary - Already had FEM replaced. Subsequently had a 'Windscreen Wipers- Possible Imminent Failure' displayed on iDrive.

Had a call from the showroom saying that they've ordered a new 'updated electronics module' and it isn't only me with the problem. He didn't state whether it was the FEM or not.

This was the result of a 'PUMA' request to BMW HQ last week if I remember correctly. I don't know what that means exactly.

Repair should take a day to fit. As with all new cars - electrics now need programmed specifically to the vehicle (including this new module)

Regards!
Maybe it's time to check out the Cadillac ATS!!!

Last edited by dude987; 07-30-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #54
F30XDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i

Congrats on the car again! You mentioned the auto folding side mirrors but is it standard on the MY13 or you have the premium package?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #55
SkaTeeB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

Quote:
Lastly, SkaTeeB thanks for providing the link. I read the thread and it stated that the FEM control unit had to be replaced. Stopped by the BMW dealership after work to get an update and sure enough they stated that the FEM unit had to be replaced. It's on order and it will be shipped from the Munich assembly line, where I just happened to pick up the car Saturday, for delivery tomorrow. I'm getting the distinct impression they are replacing with like replacement part. Which, if I not mistaken, will fault out again in the next heavy rain. Seems I may have to live with this for about a year or so until they develop a permanent fix (god willing).
Strange this is, I think I read somewhere that the FEM is somewhere inside the car, like near the glovebox or something. Maybe it's just something that fails when the wiper relays are going (can it overheat somehow)?

I just hope they fix it soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #56
EASYDOES1T
Registered
Rep
Drives: MB c300

Quote:
Yes. Military. Will be here another 1.5 years. Great opportunity to test the limits on the autobahn and possibly Stelvio Pass in Switzerland. We'll see.
First just wanna say gorgeous car. Congrats!

There's a guy on my base at Aviano that just took delivery of his white 335 m sport yesterday so you two might have been the first two US specs in Europe

Car looks even better in person! Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #57
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30XDrive View Post
Congrats on the car again! You mentioned the auto folding side mirrors but is it standard on the MY13 or you have the premium package?
I believe it comes standard with the car as I don't have Premium package.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #58
paragonautomotive
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Great color combo. One of my favorite.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #59
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoet View Post
What tires came on it? 40oz got Pirelli Cinturato P7:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722977

I am curious if BMW is being consistent with that brand/model choice, or if it is a crap shoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
What tires did they give you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
The tires are Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT. 18x8 front and 18.5x8 rear. The tire itself obviously has an impact of the quality of the road feel. But the wheel weight/size and the quality of the suspension also contribute to the overall feel. Just something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #60
jpoet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
The tires are Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT. 18x8 front and 18.5x8 rear. The tire itself obviously has an impact of the quality of the road feel. But the wheel weight/size and the quality of the suspension also contribute to the overall feel. Just something to consider.
Cool. So, one report of Pirelli Cinturato P7, and one report of Bridgestone Potenza S001.

Now we get to debate which is the better tire
      08-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #61
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

WOW!!! Those are some terrific photos which make me want delivery of my ordered Msport ASAP!! I was a little worried about the wheels, but those (the kind I have specified) looks fantastic on that vehicle. I also very much like your color choice. I've been to the Welt and the museum before but was too busy for a ED this year. Congratulations and we wish you patience while it gets transported back to the US.

Congratulations!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #62
320DF31
Rep
Drives: 320DAT F31

Same color as mine F31 M-sport Touring. Great to see that it is really that nice. Also have the Adaptive Suspension since I was afraid with the M-sport package could sometimes be too stiff. Any experience with adaptive suspension yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #63
tonmonde
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22

awesome! congrats!
Can't wait to pick up mine in sept!
      08-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #64
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

looking good! and i thought I was going to be one of the first for a US Spec ED on the 13th... looks like i'm way behind!

Congrats on the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #65
Valentin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Hyundai Sonata

Amazing car I'm also looking at an xdrive, by any chance do you know the fuel economy ratings for the xdrive? All I can find is the highway MPG
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #66
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

What a fantastic color combo. Gorgeous car!
Appreciate 0