F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Consumer Reports review of the 328
proTUNING Freaks

04-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #67
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I had a night and day experience between my test drives of the 328i luxury line vs the 335i sport line. So i would suggest you go do your own test drive.
Im glad you clarified your previous post. I had wanted to reply and ask if you had driven a non-sport 328 and a sport 335 because I couldn't fathom how you could have concluded a night and day difference between the 328 and 335. Makes more sense now, although night and day still seems a bit of a stretch.

Seems to me the majority of the negative reviews about the F30 are in regards to the non-sport models. I know I rarely use the comfort mode in my sport line which i assume is pretty close to the standard non-sport set up. BMW should make the sport setting the default, and comfort an option.

Regardless, Im happy with my f30 as is but I would expect BMW to continue to tweak the set up until they find the right balance.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #68
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I'm so glad that someone called out BMW and the crap steering as well as other obvious flaws in what should be a improvement over the E90. C&D did it but in a mild way as not to totally eliminate advertising dollars.

I'm sorry, but the latest products are not of BMW genes. I called Honda's fall back in the 90s, and I see BMW moving in a similar direction. Lost on brand image, lost on style, lost on BMW feel.

When marketing pushes pointless features and adds the old "UDM" tagline, there is corporate confusion.
      04-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #69
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
I'm so glad that someone called out BMW and the crap steering as well as other obvious flaws in what should be a improvement over the E90. C&D did it but in a mild way as not to totally eliminate advertising dollars.

I'm sorry, but the latest products are not of BMW genes. I called Honda's fall back in the 90s, and I see BMW moving in a similar direction. Lost on brand image, lost on style, lost on BMW feel.

When marketing pushes pointless features and adds the old "UDM" tagline, there is corporate confusion.
So agreed.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #70
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

And the sad part is I've loved BMW. I was dying to get my next one. But now I'm torn as to what to get. I've NEVER considered jumping ship before, EVER. I think that speaks volumes.

At speed the steering is not too bad, but in parking lots, neighborhood driving it felt like FWD.

Too bad the wont offer a traditional steering model for those not looking to save 3 drops of gas.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #71
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
And the sad part is I've loved BMW. I was dying to get my next one. But now I'm torn as to what to get. I've NEVER considered jumping ship before, EVER. I think that speaks volumes.

At speed the steering is not too bad, but in parking lots, neighborhood driving it felt like FWD.

Too bad the wont offer a traditional steering model for those not looking to save 3 drops of gas.
The "traditional" steering will be phased out very quickly. My understanding is that the major parts suppliers no longer offer hydraulic steering. Since all modern car companies, small or large, outsource components like steering system and transmission, this means our best hope is the improvement of EPS. And I'm sure it will come.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #72
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:

There is a difference bwteen loyalty and blind loyalty. You would be a fool if you dont test drive the competition and then judge for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #73
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:

If you've ever driven a MazdaSpeed3 which is in fact FWD, it feels probably 10 times better around a parking lot at slow speeds than a new 3 series. The steering in that car is very communicative and provides mounds of feedback.
      04-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #74
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i

Garage List
Doesn't matter what any magazine review says.
Doesn't matter what the numbers say.
Doesn't matter what BMW says.
Doesn't matter what any forum member says.

All that matters is what you think about the car after you've driven it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #75
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosis8 View Post
Doesn't matter what any magazine review says.
Doesn't matter what the numbers say.
Doesn't matter what BMW says.
Doesn't matter what any forum member says.

All that matters is what you think about the car after you've driven it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #76
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Consumer Reports has always been a joke when it come to car reviews. For example, the Infiniti G37 gets the very high score of 95 while the G25 drops down to an 86 yet they still praise the G25's engine and brag about it being $3,0000 cheaper. What???

They also mention that the interior is snug, the trunk small, moderate wind/road noise, a suspension that lacks "cushiness" and they complain about all of the buttons on the dash/console and how they kept confusing them.

All of this and they give the car a 95 out of 100?? WTF??
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #77
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:

All your volumes are speak to us.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #78
Very
Rep
Drives: just ordered 2012 328i

I find it interesting that most people post here are previous bmw owners. I am going from a 2004 Honda Accord to the new F30 and I am so pleased with it! I test drove Acura, Audi, MB, Lexus, and VW and none compared with the bimmer. I've looked forward to owning this car since 1986 when I first drove a neighbor's 325i when I was 16.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #79
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
I had the same feeling yesterday when I put it in reverse and floored it, 30mph going backwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #80
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:
I had the same feeling yesterday when I put it in reverse and floored it, 30mph going backwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #81
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Exactly... Because when I'm in a parking lot, I need incredible steering feel to feel the bumps so I can drift my car into a spot.

Like someone said before, every generation of BMW's there is a group of people who just complain about the changes. Whatever... It's still the best car in it's class, so if you think it's too soft then buy an M3. Or good luck "jumping ship" lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #82
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Jumping ship is so 1912.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #83
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very View Post
I find it interesting that most people post here are previous bmw owners. I am going from a 2004 Honda Accord to the new F30 and I am so pleased with it! I test drove Acura, Audi, MB, Lexus, and VW and none compared with the bimmer. I've looked forward to owning this car since 1986 when I first drove a neighbor's 325i when I was 16.

Yes, it might be better than those by some margin, but if you are an enthusiast and you recognize and value communicative steering, you would find a ten year old E46 to be significantly better than this. That is a big move in the wrong direction. The BMW advantage over the competition used to be huge when I compared cars back in 2003.

When I got out of my whatever car and got into a BMW, the experience was other worldly. I currently drive a 2012 Focus for commuting and when I went to drive an F30, I wasn't that wowed and I feel my Focus may actually have more natural steering feeling. I didn't see a huge driving experience difference in terms of ride, handling (other than my car being a bit nose heavy), or solidity. In fact, my doors shut with a feel more in line with my old E90 than the new F30. I hate the new featherweight doors that are showing up on BMWs of late.

BMW is taking big steps backwards while the competition is improving. I am confident that the other players will be winning comparison tests once the refreshes come in.

I suggest you test drive a sport package e92 after getting out of the F30.
      04-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #84
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I stand corrected. So why does the EPS have less feedback than the hydraulic system?
I honestly wish I could give you a perfect answer to that. But any time you artificially alter something, there is bound to be a something that just doesn't feel right. WHY?? because its artificial.Part of the purpose of the system was to make the car more manuverable in slow speed conditions(parking lots). The critics are saying that bleeds over into the driving experience and that the steering input is too light, when it shouldn't be . I personally didn't notice any of this. .There are other manufacturers using a similar system and there first shot at it wasn't perfect either. It will just take some time
As I said before, I love BMW's but I'm by no means that guy that believes they can do no wrong.There are lots of things I'd change about the new car , but they are more of a personal preference than anything else.( I hate the sculpted wood in the luxury edition, but I've heard people say they love it. Thats cool,whatever. Thats what makes the world go round.I'd also rip the start -stop feature right out of the car) I really do think this WHOLE THING is being blown way out of proportion.Its absurd that anyone would allow what someone wrote (especially someone who just got through reviewing toasters and microwaves) to sway them to not purchase this car.I read all the reviews like everyone else. But take it with a grain of salt. My final decision comes from when I drive it, & I personally think that should be the #1 rule for everyone.Go drive it for yourself and make up your own mind.
I have a pretty extensive driving and racing background. SO you can take my opinion or take the guy at CR's opinion. If it was me I wouldn't listen to either us.
Appreciate 0