F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > So if the N55 is so tunable....
proTUNING Freaks

05-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #111
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
As much as I hate using this example,

Look at Dinan and their "warranty" that mirrors BMW.

Would you call their stage 4 something good over the long term? No normal tuning based company would offer the same warranty, mind you, it does cost twice as much, but if something does happen over that time, which I haven't heard happen yet (other than chargepipe blowing) then that money paid would be worth it.
But also notice that the Dinan warranty is only valid until the expiration of your original new car warranty (4 years/50k miles).

There is no option to extend the Dinan warranty to the 7 years/100k mile mark as you would have been able to with an extended BMW warranty.

I suspect it's eerily similar to auto insurance. The higher the risk, the higher the cost. However, there is a point at which the risk is so high that it no longer makes business sense to insure it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #112
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack733825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Just be truthful in your answer to this question: Can you afford a replacement N55 long block out of pocket?

The bottom line is if you decide to get an unauthorized tune and you happen to have a catastrophic engine failure where that tune could reasonably be a contributing factor, you are rolling the dice on whether it's going to be covered under warranty.

You may be not get as lucky as that guy. Perhaps his dealer was willing to go to bat for him because he's a repeat customer and brings in a pretty decent book of business. Heck, I've factory ordered a 335i in 2014 and a X3 35i in 2016, have a pretty good working relationship with my dealer, and I wouldn't chance it!

I always chuckle when someone gives the poorly researched opinion: "But the dealer has to prove it! Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act says they do!" In practice, if they deny it, it's on you to prove they are wrong.
I would imagine most people own 35's have no problem afford another N55, otherwise it makes very little financial sense to buy the car from the get go. I mean, you don't buy it knowing you'll end up leaving barely 5k in the bank right? Like people don't think about houses when they have problem with property tax
This is such a D-bag comment.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #113
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
No vendetta; just food for thought.

The original post was designed to answer a very simple question -- If making power RELIABLY is as easy as the after market community would have you believe; then why doesn't BMW follow this same path? Can't get any more clear than that.

With regard to comments made about cost not being a factor in making a non-M 3 series purchase i.e. "I could have picked up an M3 if I wanted".....doesn't apply to everyone. I for one could not "pick up" an M3. I have a well loaded 335i and that was my ceiling.

I also cannot afford $15K for a new N55 motor. Therefore, MPPK was my threshold.

Before the "don't tune" Cowboys emerge....understand, that was never the question to begin.

Furthermore, why is the forum filled with talk about removing piggybacks prior to dealer service or "finding a chillaxed SA who will turn a blind eye"? I mean come on.....if you're that confident in your tune, and you know something that BMW clearly doesn't about the tolerance levels of these powerplants, then why the fear of potentially losing your warranty?

Comments such as the N55 can hold 600whp and the ZF8HP45 can handle it are just laughable!

See...everything is fine, until is isn't. That's when you have the poor ba$tard come on here telling his story about how his motor grenaded and that he made sure to remove his piggyback before dropping the car off at the dealer. Then 15 posts later everyone tells him to be careful about posting on a public forum and that he should stop posting as big brother BMW is watching. Lol.

......and no I don't have N55 envy; the N20 example was to ask the question of what happens when these "tuned" power plants grenade. I have an N55.

Well, there is a reason why they release the MPPK for the 35i/40i series and not the 20/28i series biw isn't there?

Because the engine can handle it, and they want to milk money off of the consumers. The 35i series has proven over the years that it can handle the power, until you start putting race gas or ethanol, but just pump gas tunes and it runs the upped boost no problem with the upgraded chargepipes.
This is pure, unsubstantiated, conjecture.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #114
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
In the shape of an "L" on her forehead
Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow
Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play
Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid
And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold
It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now, wait till you get older
But the meteor men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture
The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The water's getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire, how about yours?
That's the way I like it and I never get bored
All that glitters is gold
Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show, on get paid
Only shooting stars
Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas?
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change
Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go (go!)
You'll never shine if you don't glow

Last edited by donkey; 10-30-2017 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #115
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
No vendetta; just food for thought.

The original post was designed to answer a very simple question -- If making power RELIABLY is as easy as the after market community would have you believe; then why doesn't BMW follow this same path? Can't get any more clear than that.

With regard to comments made about cost not being a factor in making a non-M 3 series purchase i.e. "I could have picked up an M3 if I wanted".....doesn't apply to everyone. I for one could not "pick up" an M3. I have a well loaded 335i and that was my ceiling.

I also cannot afford $15K for a new N55 motor. Therefore, MPPK was my threshold.

Before the "don't tune" Cowboys emerge....understand, that was never the question to begin.

Furthermore, why is the forum filled with talk about removing piggybacks prior to dealer service or "finding a chillaxed SA who will turn a blind eye"? I mean come on.....if you're that confident in your tune, and you know something that BMW clearly doesn't about the tolerance levels of these powerplants, then why the fear of potentially losing your warranty?

Comments such as the N55 can hold 600whp and the ZF8HP45 can handle it are just laughable!

See...everything is fine, until is isn't. That's when you have the poor ba$tard come on here telling his story about how his motor grenaded and that he made sure to remove his piggyback before dropping the car off at the dealer. Then 15 posts later everyone tells him to be careful about posting on a public forum and that he should stop posting as big brother BMW is watching. Lol.

......and no I don't have N55 envy; the N20 example was to ask the question of what happens when these "tuned" power plants grenade. I have an N55.
When have you ever heard of any car manufacturer ever release a motor that's already at its max "reliable" potential....in my opinion, almost never, especially with the N54/55. Of course that term is relative and extremely opinionated. I've never heard of anyone grenading a N55, although I did see someone with an ever so slightly bend rod using the stock turbo, an extremely one-off case. And both motor and tranny are holding in the 600's in terms of HP and torque, so they can handle it. Unless "handle" means forever to you, then who knows if they can or not. I also don't have any type of relations or hookups at my dealership, and I bring my car in exactly how she sits and don't take off anything.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #116
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
When have you ever heard of any car manufacturer ever release a motor that's already at its max "reliable" potential....in my opinion, almost never, especially with the N54/55. Of course that term is relative and extremely opinionated. I've never heard of anyone grenading a N55, although I did see someone with an ever so slightly bend rod using the stock turbo, an extremely one-off case. And both motor and tranny are holding in the 600's in terms of HP and torque, so they can handle it. Unless "handle" means forever to you, then who knows if they can or not. I also don't have any type of relations or hookups at my dealership, and I bring my car in exactly how she sits and don't take off anything.
Especially now, since the new B58 actually comes with forged parts from the factory, I'm very curious on how much more power it'll make FBO.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #117
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
I generally don't want to be a guinea pig.

I average about 30,000 miles per year with track events mixed in there. I'll probably reach the usable life of the car far sooner than most owners of an N55 as I doubt there's very many people putting that type of mileage on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #118
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I generally don't want to be a guinea pig.

I average about 30,000 miles per year with track events mixed in there. I'll probably reach the usable life of the car far sooner than most owners of an N55 as I doubt there's very many people putting that type of mileage on the car.
I'm currently around 48,000 miles on my 335i and just hit FBO. I'll see how long and how many problems I'll run into and keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #119
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I'm currently around 48,000 miles on my 335i and just hit FBO. I'll see how long and how many problems I'll run into and keep you updated.
58,000 miles in 1 year and 11 months.

It would be interesting to see all the costs associating with a higher output not to just include engine wear and tear but the entire powertrain and drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #120
FThirtyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Just doing a piggyback on its own to the car works fine but up to a point really and its relatively cheap. The problem is people pushing hard with them or tracking where a piggyback really isn't great IMHO and either a flash or a stacked setup would work better.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:01 PM   #121
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

After 4 pages...I feel like OP is trolling hard as hell as I find it impossible for someone to be this dumb.

This can't be a real thread...the sheer amount of ignorance and shit name dropping is amazing. The fact that this genius attempts to toss his engineering degree around leaves me speechless...as if that degree means shit - what a fucking lame. Thousands of people graduate annually with the same degree from schools across the nation - but ladies and gentlemen...we the TOP Engineer in the entire country right here in this thread. So much so...that the chief engineers at BMW begged him to lead the development of their engines and manage the overall project into fruition - but our resident genius was far too wealthy in knowledge to work with pieces of shit like those at BMW.

Shame on you fucking peasants! How dare you attempt to disagree with this junior college graduate who purchased a $50k car along with every other person on this entire fucking site!!! May the day come where you all kneel down at the hands of this engineering marvel!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #122
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
After 4 pages...I feel like OP is trolling hard as hell as I find it impossible for someone to be this dumb.

This can't be a real thread...the sheer amount of ignorance and shit name dropping is amazing. The fact that this genius attempts to toss his engineering degree around leaves me speechless...as if that degree means shit - what a fucking lame. Thousands of people graduate annually with the same degree from schools across the nation - but ladies and gentlemen...we the TOP Engineer in the entire country right here in this thread. So much so...that the chief engineers at BMW begged him to lead the development of their engines and manage the overall project into fruition - but our resident genius was far too wealthy in knowledge to work with pieces of shit like those at BMW.

Shame on you fucking peasants! How dare you attempt to disagree with this junior college graduate who purchased a $50k car along with every other person on this entire fucking site!!! May the day come where you all kneel down at the hands of this engineering marvel!
^ The end product of an English/Psychology/History degree.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:39 PM   #123
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
^ The end product of an English/Psychology/History degree.
Oh my...tell us more. What finishing school did your parents have you attend after tennis practice during your early teens?

Please tell me more about your secondary education. Perhaps school? Copy of transcript?

What do you currently do now...where and at what level?

Can you provide the chat with a copy of your W2? We'd love to be able to critic your subpar career achievements by your 2015 gross earnings...

Can you also post a photo of you holding your bachelors degree next to you with a sticker on it showing your username while you also hold a spoon? We need to make sure you are really the messiah you claim to be!
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 10:49 PM   #124
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Oh my...tell us more. What finishing school did your parents have you attend after tennis practice during your early teens?

Please tell me more about your secondary education. Perhaps school? Copy of transcript?

What do you currently do now...where and at what level?

Can you provide the chat with a copy of your W2? We'd love to be able to critic your subpar career achievements by your 2015 gross earnings...

Can you also post a photo of you holding your bachelors degree next to you with a sticker on it showing your username while you also hold a spoon? We need to make sure you are really the messiah you claim to be!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:35 PM   #125
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

This thread is still going? Can one of you engineer type guys figure out how to merge this with the N20 blown engine thread. That would be more fun.
      06-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #126
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
This thread is still going? Can one of you engineer type guys figure out how to merge this with the N20 blown engine thread. That would be more fun.
It's the gift that keeps giving.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #127
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #128
Hair Führer
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M5

Do not be pussies!!! FIGHT to the DEATH!!!
Defend your honor on this forum.
Appreciate 1