F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Ultimate Driving Experience - Citi Field
Studio RSR

09-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
rmr927
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Ultimate Driving Experience - Citi Field

Anyone going to the UDE at Citi Field in October? I'm scheduled for the 10th and being my first event, I'm pretty psyched. Does anyone know if BMW is still giving out the $1000 credit vouchers?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
how does one get into this event?
      09-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
rmr927
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here's the link

http://ude.bmwusa.com/?mobileoverrid...mw02udeconfirm

Click on the "No ID Code" button and just fill out the rest.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr927 View Post
Anyone going to the UDE at Citi Field in October? I'm scheduled for the 10th and being my first event, I'm pretty psyched. Does anyone know if BMW is still giving out the $1000 credit vouchers?
BMW is still giving out vouchers. I just did it in LA this past few weeks. It is awesome...here is a repost of my report from a different forum....

Quote:
First off a disclaimer: I have to describe this event in full. So, please bare with me.... This will be a long thread.

Secondly, let me say if you love BMW's there is absolutely no reason, if you're within an hour drive, to not go to this event. BMW has made an amazing event that has so many free things, it's a true treat. On top of the free stuff, they also have. $650 day long car control course like what is usually offered at the PCD. They bring instructors and cars from the east coast and unleash them like a moving circus. Big thanks to BMW for the amazing event(s).

So, I had been considering going to do a PCD course sometime after hearing about how much fun my Midwestern family had doing their delivery with a shortened version of the car control clinic for free.

However, BMW made it easy this summer when I read they were bringing the course to LA for three weeks. Registration opened in August and I snatched up the day course for Sept 6 at 9:00. It cost me $650.00 which to me is fairly cheap for the chance to thrash some brand new M235i's and M3's around an autocross track and around cone drills. Also we had 16 students and 12 instructors so the ratio was great for 1 on 1 instruction.

A little about me, I've been a lifelong fan of Motorsport. Specifically, Indycar and formula 1. I've grown up in Indianapolis watching the likes of Mario Andretti, rick mears, Emerson fittipaldi, nigel mansel, and the Unsers drive ovals and road/street races in Indycars, and got into F1 when they came back to America 15 years ago. However, I've never driven anything on a track or competitively. I've never taken a driving course besides drivers ed in HS, but I feel like my exposure to the sport as a fan have me a basic understanding of racing concepts.

Anyway, the day of the 6th arrived and I left the house at 7:45. I arrived at the Santa Anita horse track parking lot just east of Pasadena at about 8:15 am.

My brother came with me, and even though he had done a PCD delivery on his 320i the year before, wanted to try and see what he could enjoy at the event.

We went to the registration line where BMW had a small army of young 20 something's or college kids manning iPads. I was quickly recognized as having registered and told to meet at the tent around 9:15. I was told to walk around and check out the vehicles on display and have some refreshments in the main building, or go do a street drive until 9:15.

My brother was able to walk up register for the 9:00 am autocross of the 228i's. After he registered we went to look at the vehicles.

They had a white 4 series, an i3, m235i, and x4 to look at. We both drooled over the M235i.

Then we went inside the main building and saw a yas marina blue M4 and the i8.

We took some photos and laughed at how hard it is to get in and out of the i8. I'm only 5'3, so it was much easier for me than the many folks who tried it.

We killed some time, had some free espresso and made small chat with other folks. Clearly, there were many BMW owners attending and some more pretentious than others. I openly wondered to my brother how effective this is as marketing, bringing mostly people who are already owners out to drive more. However, I think where the event is effective is it's a treat for enthusiasts and an easy way to sell you on the next model up. For me, I would have never considered an M3 before that day, but now I might reach for one at some point because I got seat time in one and saw the difference.

Anyway, 9:00 am came and my brother went to autocross and I patiently waited with the other folks who were there for the course. I was really worried about people being *********s, or uber competitive and pretentious, and certainly some bordered on that. But mostly, everyone seemed there to learn or just enjoy it. Most were like me and had never had a car course before. One guy I heard say owned an M5 and had done the M-school before on Spartanburg.

Anyway, at 9:30 they collected us and took us to a room where they introduced us to Morgan I believe was his name. He have us an intro, and the rest of the instructors pulled all the cars up outside then came in and introduced themselves.

Then we got a quick bit of classroom theory. They stressed vision, talked contact patch, grip, did the string theory explanation, and gave the rules.

Then they split us into two groups and sent us to the M3's to go to the cone drills. At this point my group went to do a braking exercise where you accelerate to 30 and slam the brakes and see how quickly it stops, the next time 40, the next time 50, and finally 60. The point of this was to get you acquainted with the car and see the exponential distance needed to brake. For this, and all drills we went as twosomes with one instructor. My instructor was Verena a Hawaiian female instructor who came from formula drift and is now learning to rally and teaches as an instructor the rest of the time.

Next we swapped and went to go with the other instructors to the slalom course. This we did in the M235i and once again went two with an instructor. First he did a slow demo, then an at speed demo. Then I went first and never having done a slalom found it overwhelming quickly and I wasn't giving myself enough room and killed many a cone. I also learned about bad vision, I got overhwelmed and focused on the cones and the more I zoned in, the more I collected.

I think we got 5 runs at the slalom, and by the end I was safely navigating it, and it was a major confidence boost to see the improvement and the cars capabilities in just a few short runs.

Next we switched back to the braking course and this time they shows off the ABS by having us brake fully while turning around a corner. This drill was a little tame, and seemed to be more about showing off how well tuned the ABS system BMW has created.

After we completed the last braking exercise, we went back to the M235i for a lane change exercise. This is where things got good. This drill was to accelerate as fast and as hard as we could at a wall of cones. Off to our left, we had a two orange cones about a car length apart, and when the instructor yelled lift, we had to jerk the car from this lane, to the left lane thru that hole without hitting a cone and control the car without braking. This challenge turned out to show you a lot about my natural reflexes and have me a huge amount of confidence as the instructor would attempt to push you to the latest moment to see if he could get you to hit a few cones. I was able to confidently toss the m235i thru the hole and only hit 1 cone in 5 runs with the instructor progressively pushing me harder everytime, the last time my passenger partner said I hit 51 in a straight line before lifting to make the lane change. This showed the wonderful balance of the m235i to me. By the end the instructor was manually shifting me to see if we could get anymore speed before the line. Lol. Great little car. I want an M235i as my next, or an M2.

In between runs, the instructors took their time to chat with you, answer questions and or just be friendly, and let me tell you. I thought all the instructors were amazing.

The lane change exercise got my confidence up a lot. I felt like I got to see what the car would take and what I could do with it without fear.

Next we went and they fed us a boxes lunch. Very tasty sandwich and quinoa salad and soda or water and desert.

After lunch, they took us back out and half went to the autocross track and half went to the skid pad figure 8.

Now, because they didn't have a true skid pad with them, they put plastic covers over the rear wheels and we went out to try and learn how to recover from oversteer. After we learned that he challenged us to try to drift in a circle, and then a figure 8 drift.

This was a ton of fun and it was easier to drift around the drivers side cone because you could really see the cone. Going the other way around the cone on the passenger side you could lose your bearings and your perspective. This was invaluable information for me for later on the track when trying to hit an apex of braking point on my right side.

Next we went to the autocross track and we drove the M235i's around the course. We learned and did a bunch of practice laps without a timer. Then, they brought the M3's over and we got to do runs in the M3. Finally, the started showing our times to us. However the timer was spotty at best. However, we did see a lot of 35 second laps and we saw a 29.9 second lap and the instructors were really impressed with that. In my final two laps in the M3 I started with a 34 second lap but blew time at the end with a four wheel slide coming out of the last corner and hit a few cones. The instructors all were impressed with my time with a final corner blown and said I deserted style points lol. Anyway, I had one last lap and just needed to clean up 1 corner. I did and my lap time was 33.3 and it turned out to be the second fastest.

Next we went to do one final drill. This was a car control drill where they placed a cone in the middle of te lane and we drove at it as hard as we could and the instructor would tell us to go around right or left. They really wanted to screw us up here, and my instructor finally got us to hit it by not giving an instruction at all lol. This instructor was James Parsons grandson of Indycar driver johnnie.

Next we got both groups back together to go so a team style autocross competition. I was in group two and the shortest and I went first in our group.

I watched their entire team go, and and no one got a lap below 35.00. My lap was mid 34's and we had two or three drivers there. Needless to say our team won.

Finally, we retired to the tent where they have us a certificate and a BMW M hat and all of our times.

All in all a great day.

A week later, my wife was itching to go try the 228i free autocross and we got up this morning and went back. Once again just a walk up registration and a quick autocross. We got 3-4 untimed practice laps around a different course in 228i's. Then we did a final rally competition. Once again, I lead off our team. Once again, our team won.

Afterwards we saw the podium for best laps from each team and their fastest driver wouldn't have made my teams top 5. It was pretty surprising for me to have gotten second fastest out of 36 drivers.

Afterwards the wife and I drove an X1, X3, 428i vert, and i3.

Anyway, I have to say, if you can sneak out go spend a half a day, do it. BMW does it right. Also if you have a teenager, they give a free teen car control course!

Anyway, I hope BMW does this again next year, it was excellent!

Also, I really want an m3 or m anything now. Those cars are just next level! So I understand why this event works, it upsells you.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

I signed up for the 12th at 1:30, 2 series autcross. cant wait.
      09-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

I'll be doing the 10th as well - 2 series @ 4pm.

Mostly just wanted an excuse to test drive a 228 and see how I feel about it. Contemplated doing the M course but after doing the advanced M school at the performance center I couldn't expect you'd get much performance out of those cars in a parking lot.
      09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Signed up for the 2 series autocross on the 10th. Cannot wait!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I'll be doing the 10th as well - 2 series @ 4pm.

Mostly just wanted an excuse to test drive a 228 and see how I feel about it. Contemplated doing the M course but after doing the advanced M school at the performance center I couldn't expect you'd get much performance out of those cars in a parking lot.

It was fun for what it was. Essentially I used it as an expensive test drive. Doesn't match M school, and you really only get to drive the M3 like a maniac once.

Overall, I would do it again, but just at a lower price point, maybe 300
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
It was fun for what it was. Essentially I used it as an expensive test drive. Doesn't match M school, and you really only get to drive the M3 like a maniac once.

Overall, I would do it again, but just at a lower price point, maybe 300
it was an all day class. And I got two stints driving the M3...Anyway, this wasn't ever sold as the M school. This is like the same class they offer at the Performance Center as the car control clinic.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

I'm in for the 10th at 11am, 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
rmr927
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

How soon after the UDE does it take BMW to email the credit voucher?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #12
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Within a day or three.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

7th at 3pm. Hope it's worth the missed afternoon at work!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You mean they actually charge you and then give you a refund? This was advertised to me as "complimentary". If I want to pay for extra stuff that's one thing, but I assumed I could show up and do what I signed up for at no cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
You mean they actually charge you and then give you a refund? This was advertised to me as "complimentary". If I want to pay for extra stuff that's one thing, but I assumed I could show up and do what I signed up for at no cost.
???
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #17
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
He's talking about the $1000 credit you get towards a car that arrives in the form of an email. They do not charge you for the event.
      10-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
He's talking about the $1000 credit you get towards a car that arrives in the form of an email. They do not charge you for the event.
Oh, haha I forgot about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
nyjrkm06
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

how do i get the $1000 voucher? Im pretty stoked going to the city field autocross event on the 9th!! Can the voucher be applied towards leases?
      10-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What if the weather is bad? Do they cancel or does it become a driving in the wet lesson?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #21
Babo335
Officer
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 Xdrive

I was there today and had fun driving the 2 series autocros.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #22
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
i was there today for the 2 series autocross and sat on the i8.

it was great experience.
Appreciate 0