F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone waiting on a 330d M Sport?
GetBMWParts

10-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #89
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
What is a shame is that the M Sport brake upgrade (as opposed to the M Performance brake upgrade) is only offered as an option on the M Sport model. This would seem to be another case of BMW being a bit silly with safety options (OPTIONAL seat belt pre-tensioners anyone?).
They don't fit under all the alloys on offer, so guess they had to draw the line somewhere.

Anyway, I don't believe M Sport brakes will stop you faster than the standard units in a one application event. Tyre condition will be more important.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #90
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I know what you mean, guess I'm just griping because while they auto-configure certain options with "if you have X you must have Y" (e.g. trim/colour combos) they don't extend it to a potential safety feature like enhanced brakes.

Can't please all of the people all of the time

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #91
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I know what you mean, guess I'm just griping because while they auto-configure certain options with "if you have X you must have Y" (e.g. trim/colour combos) they don't extend it to a potential safety feature like enhanced brakes.

Can't please all of the people all of the time
Yeah...I can't have manual transmission with 3.0D goodness
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #92
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Yeah...I can't have manual transmission with 3.0D goodness
Can't have all those 'torques' and have a manual gearbox. Could see this coming when the 335d torque levels needed the auto and software to cope with the diesel grunt.

Really makes sense to use an autobox, where torque transfer abilities are of a stronger design.

I sense we'd need a new type of manual box design, to cope with first gear torque multiplication with current torque levels.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #93
keith_p
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport

Garage List
Went for the whole caboodle on mine 330d Msport (sport box, msport brakes, variable msport suspension and variable sport steering), and I must say worth every penny. As you switch from comfort to sport to sport + you can feel everything firm up (steering and suspension) and the box changes character completely.. Compared to my previous E46 and E92 330i's (manual with sport suspension) this car is massively different to drive and much more rewarding...

... almost justifies having the extra 2 doors!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #94
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_p View Post
Went for the whole caboodle on mine 330d Msport (sport box, msport brakes, variable msport suspension and variable sport steering), and I must say worth every penny. As you switch from comfort to sport to sport + you can feel everything firm up (steering and suspension) and the box changes character completely.. Compared to my previous E46 and E92 330i's (manual with sport suspension) this car is massively different to drive and much more rewarding...

... almost justifies having the extra 2 doors!
Hi Keith,

I'm very jealous of you having your car already! I ordered a very similar spec to you, with my main focus being on drive and feel, so I also have M sport brakes, adaptive and sport steering. Sadly, mine isn't due til circa 17th Dec - still a long time to wait ... :-(

You seem quite unusual in the 330d crowd in having gone for a saloon. I ordered my F30 on basis of a drive in a 330d M Sport touring. I liked it, but it was a bit too slack in fast bends for my taste (don't think this is all down to extra 60kg in touring version; heard that adaptive really tidies up composure in fast bends). So I'm wondering how the saloon drives, corners, stops and accelerates.

How would you rate the overall level of feel and involvement? Sorry to ask so many questions, but how to you find the M sport brakes for feel?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share

Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #95
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi Keith,

I'm very jealous of you having your car already! I ordered a very similar spec to you, with my main focus being on drive and feel, so I also have M sport brakes, adaptive and sport steering. Sadly, mine isn't due til circa 17th Dec - still a long time to wait ... :-(

You seem quite unusual in the 330d crowd in having gone for a saloon. I ordered my F30 on basis of a drive in a 330d M Sport touring. I liked it, but it was a bit too slack in fast bends for my taste (don't think this is all down to extra 60kg in touring version; heard that adaptive really tidies up composure in fast bends). So I'm wondering how the saloon drives, corners, stops and accelerates.

How would you rate the overall level of feel and involvement? Sorry to ask so many questions, but how to you find the M sport brakes for feel?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share

Dave
My spec is almost the same as yours Keith, its going to be making it way over sea next week, in the dealer the week after and then with me...I can't wait to try it out, shame the weather could halt my otherwise full testing of the car but hey ho.

Need to get some winter tyres and I am set!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #96
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_p View Post
I know many have complained that to get the 'real' BMW deal these days you need some, or most, of the key options, (like the motor mag' journos have been saying for a few years now). Your comments like others, are showing this is pretty much the case.

Was stated the same for the 5-series, that options were needed to make the car. Now in one with the key options I have to say the same, so much more a BMW than the standard offerings.

If the 3-series had Adaptive Drive as an option, IMO that would take it to another level altogether. Particularly as it has grown a bit in size, would shrink it again and make it feel much more agile. For me the adaptive damping plus the active roll bars makes the modern BMW chassis what it ought to be, for our time.

Perhaps it is because I go back along way, but I remember getting into the then new E28 528i with sport suspension and being blown away by its drive, compared to cars of the time. I have that same feeling for our current time, in the 535i.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #97
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I know many have complained that to get the 'real' BMW deal these days you need some, or most, of the key options, (like the motor mag' journos have been saying for a few years now). Your comments like others, are showing this is pretty much the case.

Was stated the same for the 5-series, that options were needed to make the car. Now in one with the key options I have to say the same, so much more a BMW than the standard offerings.

If the 3-series had Adaptive Drive as an option, IMO that would take it to another level altogether. Particularly as it has grown a bit in size, would shrink it again and make it feel much more agile. For me the adaptive damping plus the active roll bars makes the modern BMW chassis what it ought to be, for our time.

Perhaps it is because I go back along way, but I remember getting into the then new E28 528i with sport suspension and being blown away by its drive, compared to cars of the time. I have that same feeling for our current time, in the 535i.

HighlandPete
Do you not think it is just because these options that BMW offer are great? I drove a pretty low specced 330D M Sport F31, and it felt great, wasn't missing anything, but sure spec it up and it becomes even better.

Size wise a little interesting fact: The F30 is the same size as a 1986 7 series. Unbelievable really, but my last BMW was a E30 and how small it was.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #98
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Do you not think it is just because these options that BMW offer are great? I drove a pretty low specced 330D M Sport F31, and it felt great, wasn't missing anything, but sure spec it up and it becomes even better.

Size wise a little interesting fact: The F30 is the same size as a 1986 7 series. Unbelievable really, but my last BMW was a E30 and how small it was.
When I test drove the F10 530d with the standard auto, I thought is was good, but there were issues which put me off the car. Particularly the suspension and steering, an F10 with SAT changed the steering to a different level, now I was getting excited about the prospects of it being a superb car. Waited for BMW to supply a 530d with Adaptive Drive, "now we were talking", suspension and ride befitting the 5-series. I had an E39 540i touring on M-tech suspension for over 4-years, with the extras we are now back to that sort of ride quality and road feel, something the E60/1 never quite got to, IMO, although the LCI E61 M-sport was quite close.

I test drive the F11 when released, and to be honest I would have walked away if I didn't know what could be achieved with the optional parts. I was underwhelmed by the whole dynamics of the car, on 18" wheels. For me it just didn't carry the BMW image at all.

My F11 is on 18" wheels, with SAT and Adaptive Drive, it is on a completely different level to the standard offering. And that is in any mode. I drive in 'normal' mode most of the time, as it is so refined and suits the car, but the roll control takes even that mode to far better levels than a lot of decent sport suspensions. But with the softer damping, wheel grip and following road contours is streets ahead of the typical BMW on RFTs.

It is one of the major factors for me going to the 5-series, rather than the 3-series touring with adaptive M-sport suspension. The VDC is more advanced, seperate compression and rebound valving, (as the F01 7-series) 3 'true' suspension settings, (comfort, normal and sport) not the 2 (comfort and sport) of the 3-series. Plus ARS along with rear self levelling air suspension, which gives the optimum spring rate for all load conditions. Stops the touring rear being too high a spring rate in light load conditions, the fault in all 3-series tourings, IMO.

BTW, we had an E30 323i when they came out, superb little car, felt a decent size car at the time.

The F30 is much larger than the 5-series E12 and E28, which got me hooked on BMW, and they were viewed as quite big cars in their day.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 10-26-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #99
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ordered my winter wheels, Dunlop 4d's on 18" Rota Torque black rims, now I need a car to put them on, 3 weeks to go!

Can't wait to see how much difference they make!

Pops
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #100
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

BW47: One in AW being built..tick tock..tick tock..

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #101
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

It's BW44! One of them is being built.
      10-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #102
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Mine is built, it will be shipped over on the 3rd to be in the dealer on the 7th - with me the week after if everything goes to plan!!

The next 2+ weeks is going to be agony but then....

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #103
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops_f30
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Mine is built, it will be shipped over on the 3rd to be in the dealer on the 7th - with me the week after if everything goes to plan!!

The next 2+ weeks is going to be agony but then....

How long does the dealer need it? Blimey! Mine is due delivery on the 5th, I want it on the 6th lol. They better get there arses in gear!
      10-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #104
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I've added a week to my dealer delivery date. Don't forget they have to do a half-ass job on the PDI, break it, fix it and then give you a car without working brake lights That takes time.
      10-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #105
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril1984 View Post
How long does the dealer need it? Blimey! Mine is due delivery on the 5th, I want it on the 6th lol. They better get there arses in gear!
Tell me about it, I am going to have to get a sneak peek whilst they do their thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #106
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I've added a week to my dealer delivery date. Don't forget they have to do a half-ass job on the PDI, break it, fix it and then give you a car without working brake lights That takes time.
It's good know you are getting special attention. Who's your dealer?
      10-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #107
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

Elms Cambourn (Cambridge) for me!!
      11-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #108
keith_p
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport

Garage List
hi all sorry for not replying...

had mine for a month now and can't fault it! The best way of explaining this by listing out my experience by driving mode.

Sport+
Performance simply stunning,
handling a little "dynamic" at times but that's what this mode is all about, you have to use opposite lock quite often, and not at "the limit" either, great fun.
steering is very taught and precise, and gives a good feel of the road too.
suspension is firm but not hard, or uncomfortable

Sport
Performance still simply stunning,
handling a lot more predictable but still without the traction stability control kicking in & intruding...
Steering taught as per sport +
suspension is firm but not hard, or uncomfortable

the main difference between Sport & sport plus is the handling.... performance
roughly the same.

engine tends to rev at around 2000 - 2500 when in full auto mode

Comfort
Performance still quite good but definatley a bit of a lag in response times. kickdown takes longer to react too.. sport is instant.
steering, handling and suspension seem to be more relaxed. but still predictable, definately not boat like, but does give an impression of wafting along.

engine revs around 1000-1500 when left to its own devices in full auto...

car is very, very quiet in this mode. adding to the wafting impression @ 40-60mph. sitting inside you wouldn't know it was a diesel. passengers have commented on this and have been surprised when I tell them its a diesel car

Eco Pro

Performance lag in response times quite noticable. kickdown takes even longer to react too..
steering, handling and suspension like comfort. but still predictable, definately still not boat like, but does give an impression of wafting along.

engine revs around 1000-1500 when left to its own devices in full auto...

as it's great for slow traffic in this mode.

no difference in braking across modes, all very quick!

also not seeing a real difference in MPG with the modes in the same driving style, & conditions. getting around 38 in sport & 40 in comfort, & 44 in Eco Pro but when pushing it, this changes sport gives around 30, but pushing it in comfort is pointless, easier just to push the mode button & go into sport.

so in summary the tech goodies seem to make a difference and so worth it in my book

I find myself switching modes quite a lot on a single journey depending on traffic conditions road type etc...

if getting an MSport here's my prioritsed link. this assumes you already have sport auto..

1) Variable MSport Suspension
1) Variable Steering
2) M Sport Brakes

notice I think if going for the variable supsension you should also go for the steering. the two together make sport and sport + modes.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #109
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Hi Keith,

That sounds fantastic! Good to see your must-have spec list - I have all three of these specced on my F30 330d M Sport - not due til mid December.

One question. The test car I drove was an F31 330d M Sport touring (no adaptive) and, to my taste, was a bit too loose in the bends. Would you say your car has all the body control it needs in bends taken enthusiastically?

Thanks
Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #110
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Great write up Keith.
I'm still not really understanding Sport+ mode. Is it likely you could end up in a hedge if you are not careful in this mode? Sounds like it disables a lot of the safety aids?
Appreciate 0