F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lease warranty issue.
ARMA SPEED

07-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Dreaming
IG: estoril.f90
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C Estoril Blue

Lease warranty issue.

I am currently awaiting my 335 and have it on a lease. I was wondering what all can I add to it without voiding it or still being able to return it to the dealer. Such as wheels, exhausts, tunes, tints etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
I am currently awaiting my 335 and have it on a lease. I was wondering what all can I add to it without voiding it or still being able to return it to the dealer. Such as wheels, exhausts, tunes, tints etc?
Why would you want to spend money upgrading someone else's car?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Dreaming
IG: estoril.f90
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C Estoril Blue

Well I'm not fully sure on keeping it or not. If I can sell it after won't I get more money out of it?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Modded cars are worth less than stock cars unless you find a buyer that wants the exact mods you have on your car. Any mods you put on the car will void parts related to that mod. For example, tunes will void warranty to the engine, lowering the car will void suspension system.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

I'm not sure why people post "negative" comments.

Sure, you can definitely do any mods you'll like. However you'll have to return the car in "stock" form.

I leased my 335i and plan to buy it out afterwards or exchange it for a 340i. I did the following mods:

M Performance Grills
20" Stance Wheels
Tint
Vinyl Wrap
Red Calipers

None of these will void my warranty. As long as I put back the original 18" wheels and get rid of the Vinyl wrap, I'll be fine and fully able to return my car.

However I do plan on lowering my car. Now once I do this and a few weeks down the line I get an issue with my suspension or anything related to it, yes my warranty for that part is void. Once my lease is over, all I need to do is to remove the lowering springs and return the car on the original stock springs and height and I'll be fine.

I dount BMW would expect me to remove the tints?

It's pretty much common sense. Dont do a Tune or anything related and you'll be ok! Good luck!
      07-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

The post wasn't negative. I was just wondering why someone would get a temporary finance option and then spend money and effort "upgrading" something they have to turn back in. Why not just lease something you're completely satisfied with or at least purchase a car so that you don't have to worry about turning it in afterwards?

As far as lowering the sale price afterwards, 90% of the people who will be purchasing a modded car in the future won't care about the mods. And the dealer will have to lower the price anyway to move the car off the lot. Like another post said, only a select few purchasers would care about any "hidden" mods to a car. In addition, the dealer would have to place those mods under warranty in order to sell the car as a CPO, etc. Too risky for them. So, all that stuff would have to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i
I'm not sure why people post "negative" comments.

Sure, you can definitely do any mods you'll like. However you'll have to return the car in "stock" form.

I leased my 335i and plan to buy it out afterwards or exchange it for a 340i. I did the following mods:

M Performance Grills
20" Stance Wheels
Tint
Vinyl Wrap
Red Calipers

None of these will void my warranty. As long as I put back the original 18" wheels and get rid of the Vinyl wrap, I'll be fine and fully able to return my car.

However I do plan on lowering my car. Now once I do this and a few weeks down the line I get an issue with my suspension or anything related to it, yes my warranty for that part is void. Once my lease is over, all I need to do is to remove the lowering springs and return the car on the original stock springs and height and I'll be fine.

I dount BMW would expect me to remove the tints?

It's pretty much common sense. Dont do a Tune or anything related and you'll be ok! Good luck!
Why did you lease it if you plan on buying the car? You always end up paying more for the car if you lease and the buy at the end VERSUS buying it from the beginning. That's a fact.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayusaFL View Post
Why did you lease it if you plan on buying the car? You always end up paying more for the car if you lease and the buy at the end VERSUS buying it from the beginning. That's a fact.
You can be protected from market conditions should the car depreciate far more than expected, or have more problems than expected, and it gives you an out if need be. BMW also has very attractive lease rates, and for some business owners you get additional tax benefits leasing vs. buying.

You can also beat up a bit on a lease and not lose any value on it....knicks/small dings/scratches/leather imperfections....no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Why would you want to spend money upgrading someone else's car?
You end up selling your car in the long run anyway, what's the big deal? He can always take the parts off later (except the tune) and sell used and get about half of the purchase price back give or take.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
Every dealer is different. If you're willing to shell out the money for the dealer performance parts and upgraded wheels/tires, you're safe. More expensive and less bang for your buck, but no risk. Anyone else's and it's a crap shoot.

Tunes are one of the more risky mods to do compared to wheels, etc. If something fails dealerships frequently look to aftermarket parts to blame. Yes the Magnusson Moss law (in the US) is out there to protect consumers, you pretty much have to sue them and spend a ton of money and piss off your dealer to pull it off.

Tires are the least risky, wheels a little more risk especially if they're different size (they could try to blame suspension issues on it for example), exhaust would be next especially if you got rid of catalytic converters, and then the tune would be the most risky. Anything that adds power they'll use it as a scape goat for most engine failures, or drivetrain issues.

Each dealer is different however, and it starts with your service advisor. Some are friendlier than others.

The best thing you can do is wait for a tune that comes on a handheld with an OBDII connector so you can just untune and retune at the comfort of your own home before going in for service.

Many other tunes require you to uninstall/reinstall actual parts to be sure they dealer won't find it, or to go to say a dinan location to get flashed and reflashed which is a pain in the ass. I've even had dinan sponsored dealers try to charge me extra money for that when it's supposed to be free.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
DominNYF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i F30 Sport Line

Im leasing my 335i and also planing to do some mods... Wheels, Suspension, Tints and Dinan Stage 2 Tune, it will not void my warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominNYF30 View Post
Im leasing my 335i and also planing to do some mods... Wheels, Suspension, Tints and Dinan Stage 2 Tune, it will not void my warranty
If you have an engine failure/problem and the dealer sees you have a Dinan tune, your warranty will not be honored. Period.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayusaFL View Post
You can be protected from market conditions should the car depreciate far more than expected, or have more problems than expected, and it gives you an out if need be. BMW also has very attractive lease rates, and for some business owners you get additional tax benefits leasing vs. buying.

You can also beat up a bit on a lease and not lose any value on it....knicks/small dings/scratches/leather imperfections....no big deal.
Thanks for answering on my behalf!

Exactly what I was going to say!

Anyway,

Let's not go into the lease vs buying debate and help the OP with his question.
      07-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
DominNYF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i F30 Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs
Quote:
If you have an engine failure/problem and the dealer sees you have a Dinan tune, your warranty will not be honored. Period.
Dinan Tune is done by BMW and is covered by BMW warranty... Already ask my dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dinan Tune is done by BMW and is covered by BMW warranty... Already ask my dealer
What do you mean the Dinan Tune is done by BMW? You mean your dealer would install it and fully warranty it?

Dinan and BMW fell out of bed years ago, in part because BMW was coming out with their own line of performance parts. Dinan has their own separate warranty (which is no full guarantee) that they will honor if their tune causes something to fail, but I've already seen both BMW and Dinan refuse to cover an issue when both said it wasn't their fault.

It makes zero sense to me that BMW would sell a competing product. I find this hard to believe, this would be the only dealership in the US I've ever heard of recently to do what you're talking about.

Whoever told you this you might want to double check just to be 100%. I find the likelihood of what you say to be....well, not likely.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
What do you mean the Dinan Tune is done by BMW? You mean your dealer would install it and fully warranty it?

Dinan and BMW fell out of bed years ago, in part because BMW was coming out with their own line of performance parts. Dinan has their own separate warranty (which is no full guarantee) that they will honor if their tune causes something to fail, but I've already seen both BMW and Dinan refuse to cover an issue when both said it wasn't their fault.

It makes zero sense to me that BMW would sell a competing product. I find this hard to believe, this would be the only dealership in the US I've ever heard of recently to do what you're talking about.

Whoever told you this you might want to double check just to be 100%. I find the likelihood of what you say to be....well, not likely.
Dinan and BMW still work together. I got my M6 dinan tune at a dinan BMW dealer, there are such things and it's warrantied. They even tout it on their website, so by any legal measure, BMW is allowing this and has to have approved it.

"The installation of Dinan products will not affect your new or Certified Pre-Owned BMW warranty coverage. You are covered mile-to-mile, year-to-year, and bumper-to-bumper."

http://www.habberstadbmwofbayshore.com/parts/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Dinan and BMW still work together. I got my M6 dinan tune at a dinan BMW dealer, there are such things and it's warrantied. They even tout it on their website, so by any legal measure, BMW is allowing this and has to have approved it.

"The installation of Dinan products will not affect your new or Certified Pre-Owned BMW warranty coverage. You are covered mile-to-mile, year-to-year, and bumper-to-bumper."

http://www.habberstadbmwofbayshore.com/parts/index.htm
I'm floored. Almost every dealership has disassociated with Dinan. This is the only one I'm aware of that would do something like this. All 3 in Arizona would tell you to piss off.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
I'm floored. Almost every dealership has disassociated with Dinan. This is the only one I'm aware of that would do something like this. All 3 in Arizona would tell you to piss off.
...Yeah they are well known for it on LI, many people that I know have used them as have I and have never had an issue, so thankfully there is someone local that I can turn to for Dinan support. This dealer is also where I've ordered my new 335i from, so based on what BMW comes out with later in the year for their N55 performance tune, I'll either go with the BMW tune or another Dinan tune...
Appreciate 0