F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!
Extreme Powerhouse

04-23-2018, 12:30 AM   #1739
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by accfortradingg View Post
Okay I see,

I think my problem may be more serious since I turned the engine on, turned off DRL's and both still didn't turn on.

When the electricity is on only, no engine, only the left side would turn on. I think it may be a relay issue? I've emailed them and waiting for a response.
You went into iDrive to turn them off? Not just flipping them off, but actually disabling them. If so, then maybe. I would again just ensure all connections are correct. Everything is grounded to the correct spots and getting power.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #1740
accfortradingg
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
You went into iDrive to turn them off? Not just flipping them off, but actually disabling them. If so, then maybe. I would again just ensure all connections are correct. Everything is grounded to the correct spots and getting power.
Yea, went into the iDrive system and turned them off.

The only problem that I can think of is maybe the positive ground after the fuse or me not applying dielectric grease to the spots where they say (about 10 spots)

I put the positive ground on this +12v bolt:

View post on imgur.com

Not sure if thats the problem though since, one of the bulbs still received power so that positive ground issue shouldn't be it.

Could you show me where you mounted your positive ground for the fuse relay in your engine bay when you get a chance? The positive under the red cap definitely isn't an option since the clips aren't big enough to go around them and the purpose of the 1/2 post is just for jumping the car.

This should be the last string of messages, if it doesn't work out, might just go with a different kit.

Last edited by accfortradingg; 04-23-2018 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #1741
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yea, went into the iDrive system and turned them off.

The only problem that I can think of is maybe the positive ground after the fuse or me not applying dielectric grease to the spots where they say (about 10 spots)

I put the positive ground on this +12v bolt:

View post on imgur.com

Not sure if thats the problem though since, one of the bulbs still received power so that positive ground issue shouldn't be it.

Could you show me where you mounted your positive ground for the fuse relay in your engine bay when you get a chance? The positive under the red cap definitely isn't an option since the clips aren't big enough to go around them and the purpose of the 1/2 post is just for jumping the car.

This should be the last string of messages, if it doesn't work out, might just go with a different kit.
Yeah, I'll shoot some photos over lunch today (In roughly four hours from this post time) and show you. I actually used the positive post for mine. Unscrewed it some and put the clip right under and screwed back down. I used to separate grounds as well, one for each side. If after this it doesn't work, you could try to claim a faulty one and send it back? If so, it'll be sad to hear that. 55W bulbs are really nice to have.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #1742
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'll shoot some photos over lunch today (In roughly four hours from this post time) and show you. I actually used the positive post for mine. Unscrewed it some and put the clip right under and screwed back down. I used to separate grounds as well, one for each side. If after this it doesn't work, you could try to claim a faulty one and send it back? If so, it'll be sad to hear that. 55W bulbs are really nice to have.
Sounds good thanks, Could you tell me which T bolt you used for the positive post? I have the T bolt kit but they were way too small to unscrew that huge bolt.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #1743
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good thanks, Could you tell me which T bolt you used for the positive post? I have the T bolt kit but they were way too small to unscrew that huge bolt.
Hopefully, this helps. I'd try these spots in addition to ensuring you greased on necessary connections. I believe the posts are either T40 or T45.

View post on imgur.com

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #1744
StoneWall747
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP 6MT

Guys, order these parts from TRS.com and the headlights from USR and enjoy easy plug and play. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1459304

I've had zero issues with the Depos I ordered from USR this month when they were in stock. The fitment issues people are having with the bumper tabs on the headlights, like most issues with these lights, are installation issues.

Here are my tips for the next guys, aka shit I wish I knew before my 4hr install.

1. There are doughnuts on your HID bulb kit from TRS if you follow the guide I linked, you will have to shred them some to get the wires out. Mine did not show up as a separate harness and HID bulb like the OP in the guide and yours likely wont either. You will have to jimmy rig a bit to get the H7 HID adapter behind the bulb, you will be reusing them so don't be a hack. The Depos do not have holes in the bulb housing access point cover for the wires or grommet included, but your OEM ones do, reuse the OEM cover and the moisture barrier for OEM fit and moisture protection.

2. For the two bolts under each headlight, bend back the metal cage for the square nut side and ram a 10mm open ended wrench deep into it to catch it tight and commence the four letter cussing for the long haul.

**** MOST IMPORTANT PART****
3. The mounting points for the two bolts under the lights are adjustable up and down by about half an inch, meaning the gap fitment issues with the bumper post install is because you did not cut your arms into shreds and really want it bad enough, aka you didn't push up hard enough while tightening the two bolts, making them mount lower and the gap exist when you clip the bumper to the headlight tab.

4. Ground your ballasts to the horn nut and washer, do yourself a favor and buy self tappers to drill ram your ballasts into the aluminum bumper support, vibration is the last thing you want to kill your ballasts after such a long install.

5. HID bulb wire down towards the ground, otherwise you will be really sad at your cut offs, also do not crank the ever living piss out of your H7 HID adapter tabs with those screws or you will make the bulb lean up and have bulb positioning issues for sure.

Just some heads up I wish my research had told me, let me know if you guys have any other questions about the install.
Appreciate 3
Stubok471.50
BunkerJ1032.00
      04-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #1745
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadShoes View Post

2. For the two bolts under each headlight, bend back the metal cage for the square nut side and ram a 10mm open ended wrench deep into it to catch it tight and commence the four letter cussing for the long haul.

**** MOST IMPORTANT PART****
3. The mounting points for the two bolts under the lights are adjustable up and down by about half an inch, meaning the gap fitment issues with the bumper post install is because you did not cut your arms into shreds and really want it bad enough, aka you didn't push up hard enough while tightening the two bolts, making them mount lower and the gap exist when you clip the bumper to the headlight tab.
#2 was me except I was dumb and didn't have something to reach it, so I commenced the slow untightening of the lower bolts using vise grips jammed in there...

#3 Really good insight. Another member posted about washers being put in place to help with the gap. Do you have pictures of your gap after the install? If it's a matter of just getting back in there and suffering a little to jam those puppies up, then I'm game lol.

Also, separate from this, my issue regarding the lens unfocusing and causing a floodlight effect, still no word from USR in weeks... I got a little frustrated the other day trying to fix it and "lightly" tapped the front of the headlight and knocked it into place. It still pops out, but that fix is better than adjusting the headlight down when it unfocuses and then adjusting it back up when it falls back into place. I'm assuming a tab is broken or some sort of sealant issue. Keep in mind this occurred during my use of halogens and roughly a year after installation.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #1746
StoneWall747
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP 6MT

Here's how my gap looks after install from lifting the lights all the way up in their respective mounting points while tightening the 2 bolts, you'll have to click the links, it wouldn't let me embed them to appear in the post.

Front: https://ibb.co/nm4AjH
Drivers: https://ibb.co/cQQGPH
Pass: https://ibb.co/mTwCyc
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #1747
ahsen94
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 320D

Quote:
That'd be an easy fix! Solder it and electrical tape.
“No unfortunately it's a wiring job. I've now adjusted the car's wiring loom and depos work perfect. You need to cut the DRL cable which is powered when the car's sidelights is turned on (it dimms the drls) and the low beam cable. Then a diode between them so when the low beam is on, it powers the side light cable and when the side light is on, power isn't sent to the low beam. It's a simple job and took me a few weeks of making diagrams to make sure I got it right but all works fine now“

Kind of stuck now.. thats what he last said and I asked him to share the diagram and he said he will soon.. not heard since its been 3 weeks.. gutted
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #1748
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsen94 View Post
“No unfortunately it's a wiring job. I've now adjusted the car's wiring loom and depos work perfect. You need to cut the DRL cable which is powered when the car's sidelights is turned on (it dimms the drls) and the low beam cable. Then a diode between them so when the low beam is on, it powers the side light cable and when the side light is on, power isn't sent to the low beam. It's a simple job and took me a few weeks of making diagrams to make sure I got it right but all works fine now“

Kind of stuck now.. thats what he last said and I asked him to share the diagram and he said he will soon.. not heard since its been 3 weeks.. gutted
Hmm... Okay, can you shoot me the last 7 of your VIN? I can try to put some time into this week(end) and see if we can come up with a diagram in case he never does. I'm assuming he didn't state what kind of diode?

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:38 AM   #1749
ahsen94
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah man here is the VIN... k825543. Appreciate that alot.

No he didn’t unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #1750
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah man here is the VIN... k825543. Appreciate that alot.

No he didn’t unfortunately
Yeah, it is what it is I guess. We'll figure it out and if and when we do, we'll put the diagram up on here so this doesn't happen again.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #1751
ahsen94
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorted. Not sure if this will help at all?!

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1462761
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #1752
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorted. Not sure if this will help at all?!

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1462761
Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about this. Just been working on some cryptanalysis and it has been kicking my

Last edited by BunkerJ; 05-02-2018 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #1753
ahsen94
United Kingdom
Rep

Haha. No worries mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:15 PM   #1754
happyparrot
SAND BAGS
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Montego Blue

Garage List
2008 328XI  [0.00]
Installed my depos with HIDs earlier today. So excited to share.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by happyparrot; 05-02-2018 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
BunkerJ1032.00
      05-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #1755
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyparrot View Post
Installed my depos with HIDs earlier today. So excited to share.

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks great! Hood gap is pretty damn straight it seems.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #1756
gee38l
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 320D Modern Line

So I just installed these lights and seem to have a strange beam pattern with the low beams see photo below.

Is there something I didnt do?

Last edited by gee38l; 05-05-2018 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Image link
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #1757
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee38l View Post
So I just installed these lights and seem to have a strange beam pattern with the low beams see photo below.

Is there something I didnt do?

Adjusting them up would help lol.

But in the end, don't be alarmed by the "step" in the beam pattern. That's normal. Adjust them up and left/right
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #1758
gee38l
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 320D Modern Line

Quote:
Adjusting them up would help lol.

But in the end, don't be alarmed by the "step" in the beam pattern. That's normal. Adjust them up and left/right
Where abouts do you adjust them? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #1759
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
No, no. Just install everything in the car. Start the car and ensure you don't have any "Headlight bulb malfunction" errors. If you do, you need to reverse the polarity of the plug for that side. What I mean by that is the two little plugs you put into the original bulb holder. After that is done or if you don't get any, just go into your iDrive settings, Lights, and then turn off "Daytime Running Lamps" Drive without your DRLs for a day or two and then renable them.

Once you disable them, the lights will work; however, in the "Auto" mode during the day, the DRLs won't turn on. Obviously, we like the halo's to be turned on, which is why you want to renable them later. You can manually switch on the halo's by putting the lights to the parking lights mode in the meantime.
Okay, ended up installing it this week and everything worked out!

Thanks for the pictures of your engine bay w/ the grounds.

So, just to clarify, since I'm having trouble for them to stay on.

I ended up getting both of the low beams to turn on at the same time, however, I don't remember what configuration I did. I ended up switching the DRL's option on and off a bunch of times and played around with the auto / lowbeam option on the left lighting panel switch and eventually they both turned on.

You had success with turning off the DRL's option in iDrive, and leaving the headlights on auto, correct? So the lowbeams will turn on when necessary, however the halo's won't be on during the day. & then after a couple days, you just switched the DRL's setting to on & kept the lights on auto and then everything worked like w/ the original OEM headlights right?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #1760
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Okay, ended up installing it this week and everything worked out!

Thanks for the pictures of your engine bay w/ the grounds.

So, just to clarify, since I'm having trouble for them to stay on.

I ended up getting both of the low beams to turn on at the same time, however, I don't remember what configuration I did. I ended up switching the DRL's option on and off a bunch of times and played around with the auto / lowbeam option on the left lighting panel switch and eventually they both turned on.

You had success with turning off the DRL's option in iDrive, and leaving the headlights on auto, correct? So the lowbeams will turn on when necessary, however the halo's won't be on during the day. & then after a couple days, you just switched the DRL's setting to on & kept the lights on auto and then everything worked like w/ the original OEM headlights right?
Correct. While I had it manually turned off, I would switch it to the "Parking lights" so I could have DRLs and then after 4-6 days, I put it back on and no issues since.

Good to hear they are working.

Appreciate 0