F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
ARMA SPEED

07-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #177
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

I have spoken to the Service Manager at my dealership. He said that BMW is aware of the problem and is working on it. They did a roadforce balancing but it didn't help and they didn't seem surprised.
      07-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #178
Soth
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 2002

I did a test drive today on a 328 sport. I read about the vibration issue here so I was trying to make sure this car didn't have this problem.

I don't feel a vibration when holding the steering wheel. However, if I let go of the wheel I can see it move a bit, like a kind of wobble left and right. It might be because the roads aren't that great. It didn't seem to be worse at a specific speed. It is obviously not a good idea to drive while taking your hands off the wheel so it is difficult to test this.

So is this normal? Or should the steering wheel not move at all when you take your hands off? I actually tried this on my e46 and it does something similar, although less pronounced (it is entirely possible my e46 is actually in need of an alignment).

Some posters have mentioned something closer to a buzz or quick vibration you can feel on the wheel. Not sure if it is the same thing. If it doesn't get worse I would have no problem with it, but I am afraid it will get worse .

I plan to buy the car this weekend so any advise would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #179
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

I would not recommend this car to anyone who is sensitive to any kind of steering wheel vibration or wobbling. It vibrates and shakes and BMW does not acknowledge it as an issue. I would NOT buy this car had I known it had this issue. So if you decide to buy, you will most probably receive a car with the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
I did a test drive today on a 328 sport. I read about the vibration issue here so I was trying to make sure this car didn't have this problem.

I don't feel a vibration when holding the steering wheel. However, if I let go of the wheel I can see it move a bit, like a kind of wobble left and right. It might be because the roads aren't that great. It didn't seem to be worse at a specific speed. It is obviously not a good idea to drive while taking your hands off the wheel so it is difficult to test this.

So is this normal? Or should the steering wheel not move at all when you take your hands off? I actually tried this on my e46 and it does something similar, although less pronounced (it is entirely possible my e46 is actually in need of an alignment).

Some posters have mentioned something closer to a buzz or quick vibration you can feel on the wheel. Not sure if it is the same thing. If it doesn't get worse I would have no problem with it, but I am afraid it will get worse .

08-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #180
SGScuba
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
I would not recommend this car to anyone who is sensitive to any kind of steering wheel vibration or wobbling. It vibrates and shakes and BMW does not acknowledge it as an issue. I would NOT buy this car had I known it had this issue. So if you decide to buy, you will most probably receive a car with the same issue.
As much as there are a bunch of extremely dissatisfied owners who have this vibration problem, I believe there's a poll on wheels/rims sets at http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724116 which shows a large bunch of owners (the silent majority?) who don't face such a problem. The 17" 393 style rims seem to be the main culprit.

I'm truly sorry for your frustration Tim_78, but it's not accurate to say "So if you decide to buy, you will most probably receive a car with the same issue.". While I might not advise someone who is sensitive to vibration/wobbling to order the car to his specs, because of the chance that the car will vibrate, if there's one on the dealer's lot that meets their specs, they can go test-drive it with the half bottle of water test that mocohead suggested, to see if that particular car vibrates.
Sport AT, Mineral Grey, Black interior, Alum w/ high-gloss black interior trim, Sports seats + Lumbar support, Harman Kardon sound, Nav system Prof, PDC (f+r), Rear view camera, comfort access, Xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #181
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:

I can understand you're frustrated at the problems *your* car has, but coming out with a blanket statement like that is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #182
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
I can understand you're frustrated at the problems *your* car has, but coming out with a blanket statement like that is ridiculous.
If you read this forum and the amount of people complaining, you would also realize that this is not a blanket statement. Many people are not as sensitive and do not even notice the vibration problem. Even the dealerships acknowledge that this is a common complaint. My statement might be strong but the possibility of getting a car with the same issue is pretty high. It is my duty to warn people ahead of time so that they do not regret getting this car.
      08-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #183
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

If you do a thorough test drive you should be able to feel if the car you're trying has it. I don't think anyone should rely on anyone else's opinion about how common a problem it is. I just know mine doesn't have the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #184
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
A friend who is a master tech at a very large So Cal dealership (and a guy who builds very fast and reliable BMW race cars) tells me that he has not seen any F30's coming through the shop with this complaint. During the tech round tables with other dealerships, this issue has not been raised. That suggests that many buyers either don't have an issue, don't notice it if they do, or don't consider it an issue.

Remember that these forums are sort of lightning rods for people with problems with their cars. Since nobody is posting videos of their cars shaking or wobbling or whatever, we really don't know how bad it can be in some cars. That makes it really tough for people like you to evaluate whether this should deter you from buying the car.

My advice to you is if you can live with what you observed on the car you test drove, and otherwise like the car, you should buy it. Deal with a possible defect when and if it happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #185
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Many people are not as sensitive and do not even notice the vibration problem.
There may very well be people who do not notice when a given car has the problem. However, I have driven a number of F30s and only one, a 328, exhibited any wheel shake. Others similarly report cars with no problem.

It appears to be a real issue, but only with respect to some cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #186
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
If you read this forum and the amount of people complaining, you would also realize that this is not a blanket statement. Many people are not as sensitive and do not even notice the vibration problem. Even the dealerships acknowledge that this is a common complaint. My statement might be strong but the possibility of getting a car with the same issue is pretty high. It is my duty to warn people ahead of time so that they do not regret getting this car.
Look at the other responses you got here. You're just showing *your* own frustration with *your* problem in an immature way.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #187
jpa74
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i sports line

I have a March 2012 build F30 Sportline. I took delivery in June and had the steering vibration issue at 40-60 mph.

Took it to my local BMW dealer. Had shop foreman test drive with me to confirm. Rebalanced all four tires and problem is gone.

I have over 4,000 miles on my car with no vibration whatsoever. Averaging 29.8 mpg in 70% city and 30% highway driving. I love my F30!

Before you dismiss the entire F30 line, first, do your due diligence and check out the most common problem causing slight steering wheel vibration, which is tire imbalance. I think 9 out of 10 times the vibration should be fixed with a good road force balancing.

I suspect the BMW processing center did not balance the tires as I did not see any balancing weights prior to taking it to my dealer.

So, it is a simple fix, at least for me. Let's be reasonable.

What's next on the complaint list? I'm waiting for someone to point out that the F30 exhaust doesn't smell fresh. I urge that person to smell their own ass first.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #188
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74 View Post
I have a March 2012 build F30 Sportline. I took delivery in June and had the steering vibration issue at 40-60 mph.

Took it to my local BMW dealer. Had shop foreman test drive with me to confirm. Rebalanced all four tires and problem is gone.

I have over 4,000 miles on my car with no vibration whatsoever. Averaging 29.8 mpg in 70% city and 30% highway driving. I love my F30!

Before you dismiss the entire F30 line, first, do your due diligence and check out the most common problem causing slight steering wheel vibration, which is tire imbalance. I think 9 out of 10 times the vibration should be fixed with a good road force balancing.

I suspect the BMW processing center did not balance the tires as I did not see any balancing weights prior to taking it to my dealer.

What's next on the complaint list? I'm waiting for someone to point out that the F30 exhaust doesn't smell fresh. I urge that person to smell their own ass first.
+1
      08-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #189
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I would love it to be a balancing issue but it is not. I already took the car to service and they spent 3 hours to figure out the problem, then they performed road force test and balanced all 4. Problem still exists, even gotten worse. The sad part is BMW says this wobbling is normal. Yes normal for a 1984 e30 with bald tires, not a brand new f30. My e46 and e90 both performed great but this f30 is disappointing. Sheer driving pleasure, not so much!
      08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #190
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

I was test driving a new 320i with 17in wheels last week and noticed this vibration. I did not pay that much attention then, thinking it could have been a wheel balance problem. Seeing this thread it is obviously widespread.
BTW the steering feel of the 320i is a complete let down for me. There is no comparison with my girlfriends 323 feel is much more direct.
Hopefully the 328/335 are better...
      08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #191
jpa74
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would love it to be a balancing issue but it is not. I already took the car to service and they spent 3 hours to figure out the problem, then they performed road force test and balanced all 4. Problem still exists, even gotten worse. The sad part is BMW says this wobbling is normal. Yes normal for a 1984 e30 with bald tires, not a brand new f30. My e46 and e90 both performed great but this f30 is disappointing. Sheer driving pleasure, not so much!
Well, I'm sorry to hear that roadforce balancing didn't fix it. These minor but annoying vibration issues occur in all automobile models and is not a design flaw or character of the car itself.

Here is a thread discussing similar issue on an E90:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420326

My advice would be to have the dealer or respectable tire shop check the balance of your wheels (especially front wheels) without tires mounted. I believe that the wheels are subject to slight buckling with runflat tires.

In fact, my dealer had to balance my wheels without the tires mounted before being able to fix the problem. This is probably because the runflats are so heavy, that any slight imbalance in the wheel gets masked with them on.

Another test would be to have the dealer replace all four wheels/tires with another set that is properly balanced and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, then it probably is a steering, suspension, or software issue.

Hope this helps.

By the way, my manual transmission stick vibrates back and forth a few millimeters when in neutral. I found it to be annoying and disconcerting at first. Now, I kind of like it. It gives the car some character.

Maybe you can view the slight steering wheel wobble in the same light?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #192
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry to hear that roadforce balancing didn't fix it. These minor but annoying vibration issues occur in all automobile models and is not a design flaw or character of the car itself.
Funny my daughters Hyundai doesn't do this, neither does my wife's car or my Corvette. This does not occur in all automobile models. I have been driving since 1982 so I have a little experiance with multiple vehicles.

Here is a thread discussing similar issue on an E90:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420326

My advice would be to have the dealer or respectable tire shop check the balance of your wheels (especially front wheels) without tires mounted. I believe that the wheels are subject to slight buckling with runflat tires.

In fact, my dealer had to balance my wheels without the tires mounted before being able to fix the problem. This is probably because the runflats are so heavy, that any slight imbalance in the wheel gets masked with them on.
Done, did not fix
Another test would be to have the dealer replace all four wheels/tires with another set that is properly balanced and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, then it probably is a steering, suspension, or software issue.
Done, did not fix
Hope this helps.

By the way, my manual transmission stick vibrates back and forth a few millimeters when in neutral. I found it to be annoying and disconcerting at first. Now, I kind of like it. It gives the car some character.

Maybe you can view the slight steering wheel wobble in the same light?
I like my cars to not have this "Character". Try driving with your hand on your shifter and see how endearing the vibrations become.
This is a issue that affects a lot of F30's. I am sure most non enthusiast owners that notice it ask the dealership and when told it's "characteristic of the vehicle" go ok and walk away. It certainly shouldn't be characteristic of a $40,000 + vehicle. BMW repurchased my vehicle for a reason and lost several thousand dollars on the transaction. It wasn't the goodness of their hearts that caused them to do it. Like most manufacturers with similar issues on new cars they are appeasing the most squeaky wheels and hoping the majority of owners with the issue accept the "characteristic of the car" excuse. Meanwhile they are working on a fix that they might get out in a year or so. I firmly believe not every F30 had the problem that mine and quite a few others had. So the real preventive measure for people considering purchasing one (those that are wise enough to search the internet before they purchase) is to do an exhaustive test drive and weed out the F30's that have any vibrations (no matter how small at the time) at around the 40-60 mph range. Good luck to those considering a purchase and to those that already have purchased with this issue (hopefully it is resolved to your satisfaction).
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #193
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Took car in yesterday. Drove with the shop foreman, and he agreed the problem is there. he told me a bunch of people are having the same problem, and even the F30 he got is having the problem

He said there is no fix, he said it is most likely a hardware issue. He talked to a bmw engineer who thinks the steering box is not getting enough amperage.

Anyways, i will most likely swap out of my current car for something else, probably a 135. He sent in a puma case for me and i will call the head of the service department tomorrow to get the ball rolling.

Will update.
      08-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #194
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Took car in yesterday. Drove with the shop foreman, and he agreed the problem is there. he told me a bunch of people are having the same problem, and even the F30 he got is having the problem

He said there is no fix, he said it is most likely a hardware issue. He talked to a bmw engineer who thinks the steering box is not getting enough amperage.

Anyways, i will most likely swap out of my current car for something else, probably a 135. He sent in a puma case for me and i will call the head of the service department tomorrow to get the ball rolling.

Will update.
I guess it depends on the dealership when it comes to dealing with this issue. My dealership didn't do anything about the issue and claim that this vibration is normal. I am going to try a different dealership and see what happens....
      08-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #195
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
I guess it depends on the dealership when it comes to dealing with this issue. My dealership didn't do anything about the issue and claim that this vibration is normal. I am going to try a different dealership and see what happens....
Yea, that type of response would be unacceptable to me. Having owned several BMW's i can tell you for a fact, any type of vibration in the steering wheel is not normal. For your dealer to say otherwise is pure bull shit. They just dont wnt to deal with it any more.

It really depends how far you want to go with it. 99% of people will probably be fine with it, not even notice it, or just think its normal. But i am anal about these things and for the price i am paying i expect damn near perfection. I can understand some steering wheel vibration going over rough terrain and what not, but just constant vibration between 40-60 is horse shit.

A few options if you want to escalate it.
-Call bmwna customer service, tell them the situation, and that it is a known problem with the F30 with no current fix and your dealer doesn't want to deal with it.
-keep taking your car in, dealer gets 3 chances to fix the problem, it then qualifies for Lemon Law.

Most likely your dealer will try to accomodate you, let them know this is a known issue, and their currently is not a fix for it.

Good luck, and keep pushing them.
      08-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #196
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Yea, that type of response would be unacceptable to me. Having owned several BMW's i can tell you for a fact, any type of vibration in the steering wheel is not normal. For your dealer to say otherwise is pure bull shit. They just dont wnt to deal with it any more.

It really depends how far you want to go with it. 99% of people will probably be fine with it, not even notice it, or just think its normal. But i am anal about these things and for the price i am paying i expect damn near perfection. I can understand some steering wheel vibration going over rough terrain and what not, but just constant vibration between 40-60 is horse shit.

-Call bmwna customer service, tell them the situation, and that it is a known problem with the F30 with no current fix and your dealer doesn't want to deal with it.
-keep taking your car in, dealer gets 3 chances to fix the problem, it then qualifies for Lemon Law.

Most likely your dealer will try to accomodate you, let them know this is a known issue, and their currently is not a fix for it.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #197
jpa74
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
Funny my daughters Hyundai doesn't do this, neither does my wife's car or my Corvette. This does not occur in all automobile models. I have been driving since 1982 so I have a little experiance with multiple vehicles.
Would you rather drive a Hyundai Sonata with no vibration or a F30 with some jiggle in the wiggle?

Just asking...

My last car was an Accord with vibration in the seat, subtle but noticeable.

I think there is no such thing as a car with perfect quality control, no matter the make, model, or price. I certainly don't view BMW high on a pedestal in this regard. Despite the hype, it is a complex machine with thousands of components, some of which are bound to not work as designed. It still sucks though if yours is "imperfect". I guess it's up to you to decide what's acceptable or not. Good luck.

Only the 6 series made it on to the 2012 JD Power's list on top rated cars for initial quality. No surprise there.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #198
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:

Florida's lemon law rocks, wish it was like that everywhere but sadly its not.
Appreciate 0