F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Anyone have lease return problems after painting wheels?
GetBMWParts

12-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
bliskin27
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Coupe M Sport

Anyone have lease return problems after painting wheels?

Has anyone experienced a problem when getting their lease inspected for return for painting OEM wheels to black instead of the unpainted metal they were when you took delivery?

Can you post whether you did, or did not have a problem and what you had to do to rectify it, or just pay them?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
bliskin27
Rep

Bump.. anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

If I was the dealer I sure as hell would have a problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
bliskin27
Rep

The dealer doesn't take the car back. BMWFS does and they have a 3rd party inspect it. I've heard cosmetic changes don't matter but wanted to hear from anyone who has actually returned with painted wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
If I was the dealer I sure as hell would have a problem with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliskin27 View Post
The dealer doesn't take the car back. BMWFS does and they have a 3rd party inspect it. I've heard cosmetic changes don't matter but wanted to hear from anyone who has actually returned with painted wheels
Well actually mbanks21 is correct as you apparently are not aware how the system works.

The Dealer is the 3rd party inspector you refer to.

The Dealer has to buy almost every lease return from BMWFS. They have only a few "mulligans" per Quarter they can use to pass on the car which BMWFS then sends to Auction.

Yes, the Dealer can buy the car and then send to Auction, but that means they have to pay the difference in what they paid BMWFS and what the vehicle brings in Auction minus fees, such as transportation to Auction and various Mannheim Auction fees.

As thus, the Dealer has very broad authority on what they can accept and reject in non OEM condition.

Considering that Brake Dust tends to turn painted rims a very strange color over time if not done with powdercoat correctly (and how is the Dealer supposed to know that), they will be responsible for that when they put the car on their lot. As mbanks21 said, they should reject it.

Last edited by Kabrich; 12-03-2016 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
mbanks211266.00
      12-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliskin27 View Post
The issue you run into is some dealers may not mind, but like Kabrich and mbanks21 mentions it's not OEM. Dealerships generally prefer to have a car returned to them as it was delivered. The simple reason being it provides the widest possible appeal to any potential customers looking to buy it. The more it gets altered from OEM or authentic BMW the smaller the customer pool becomes and the greater possibility it will sit on the lot longer and could end up at auction.

Yes it's possible the dealership could simply have you pay them. But considering what a set of OEM BMW wheels costs you are probably better off finding a set of aftermarket black wheels to swap out for now. Then put the OEM wheels back on (which should be in good shape still) to return the car. Then sell the set of wheels you bought to recoup some cost.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0