F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Dog owners- I'm looking for dog transport suggestions
proTUNING Freaks

03-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Question Dog owners- I'm looking for dog transport suggestions

Hopefully later today we'll be bringing a beagle puppy home and I thought I'd ask you learned gentlemen and ladies for suggestions on good dog crates and the like for transporting the hound.

I'm aware of the rear seat cover BMW sells which I've heard good reports about, however I was thinking a crate might be more practical as I could use it to house the dog at home as well as for transportation.

Thoughts? Ideas? All welcome and thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

We've opted to use a smallish kennel that can be secured with the seatbelts.

This makes sure the dog is safe and doesn't run around etc... but also doesn't claw/scratch at your interior.

I'm open to hear other suggestions too cos I'm kind of insterested in how others are transporting pets around
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
pmunger
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I fondly remember our Beagle Doug - great dogs - RIP

Best way to transport is use someone else's car
      03-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I have something like this in mind at present http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/BON...51X48CM-p-9174
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
agnesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I have a greyhound...

any suggestions?? lol
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Hopefully later today we'll be bringing a beagle puppy home and I thought I'd ask you learned gentlemen and ladies for suggestions on good dog crates and the like for transporting the hound.

I'm aware of the rear seat cover BMW sells which I've heard good reports about, however I was thinking a crate might be more practical as I could use it to house the dog at home as well as for transportation.

Thoughts? Ideas? All welcome and thanks in advance!
As you will have a very small (and possiblt scared) puppy, I recommend that you carry the little thing home in a small basket on your wife's lap. In this way she can hold her hand on the puppy which will calm and soothe him/her during the journey.

This is what we did with all our dogs (4 cocker spaniels over the years), and they all arrived home safe and sound with no vomiting, no frightened yelping and none of that horrible fear odour that they can sometimes emit.
      03-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
As you will have a very small (and possiblt scared) puppy, I recommend that you carry the little thing home in a small basket on your wife's lap. In this way she can hold her hand on the puppy which will calm and soothe him/her during the journey.

This is what we did with all our dogs (4 cocker spaniels over the years), and they all arrived home safe and sound with no vomiting, no frightened yelping and none of that horrible fear odour that they can sometimes emit.
Just be careful with the above... in QLD we have some over zealous policing on the roads. The placing of little critters in one's lap can land you with a fine here
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 04:09 AM   #8
RAM_AU
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013-328i Alpine White

I used to have a malamute.. I just use some bed sheets n towels.. No problem
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Puppy got home just fine. Bought a good collapsible crate that now functions as his den in the laundry, it has a seatbelt loop on one side that secures it nicely. The little wee monster has been entertaining us all night

The crate itself should be good for transport for the first six months, then it'll be harness time.

The universal rear seat cover retails from BMW here at around $240 I think, so I might look into getting that in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
JBH320
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320D

Glad you all survived day 1.

We bought a car back seat cover from Aldi for about $30 and it works well. Covers the entire back seat and the back part of the front seats so it offers protection all around.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #11
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH320 View Post
Glad you all survived day 1.

We bought a car back seat cover from Aldi for about $30 and it works well. Covers the entire back seat and the back part of the front seats so it offers protection all around.
Does it cover the doors as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
JBH320
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320D

No only the seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

my Shiba Inu is always the boss seating on the back seat using the a nylon based seat cover, with straps to secure on the backseat and front seat headrest, which also includes entry lip cover. So won't scratch the paint on jumping.

don't underestimate the hair from beagle, i did also have one and was constant battle against vacuum cleaners coz the coarse hair got trap in the cotton based seat.

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

I use the BMW rear seat protector cost like 500 $ tho
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
I was thinking about getting one of these Universal Rear Seat Covers. I was quoted $274.00 form the local dealership.
I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.
How do find using it?
Is it quick to install and remove?
I noticed that the cover has provision for seat belts and also splits where the rear seats can be folded down. Are these areas that trap sand and grit from the dogs after a walk?
I had recently used a rug in the back of the car for the dogs, but noticed that sand and grit from their paws became engrained in the stitching in the leather - it was a bugger to remove.
Hence the need for something a bit more fit for purpose.
      04-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #16
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hey Steve,
Here was using...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-F10-...-/281299984895

To be honest they take longer to get on.. they protect the doors which I kind of liked.

but i feel my 2 dogs are find them more comfortable than just the normal multi purpose one.

I spent that kind of money only because BMW gave me some vouchers.. if u're getting it for 270 personally i think it's ok.. if you're OCD like me.

If you do come across some good ones please let me know.. I can't use it on my current car

Quote:
I was thinking about getting one of these Universal Rear Seat Covers. I was quoted $274.00 form the local dealership.
I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.
How do find using it?
Is it quick to install and remove?
I noticed that the cover has provision for seat belts and also splits where the rear seats can be folded down. Are these areas that trap sand and grit from the dogs after a walk?
I had recently used a rug in the back of the car for the dogs, but noticed that sand and grit from their paws became engrained in the stitching in the leather - it was a bugger to remove.
Hence the need for something a bit more fit for purpose.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #17
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Hmmm... Rear seat protector, or down pipe... guess I ain't getting a dog.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #18
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Steve,
Here was using...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-F10-...-/281299984895

To be honest they take longer to get on.. they protect the doors which I kind of liked.

but i feel my 2 dogs are find them more comfortable than just the normal multi purpose one.

I spent that kind of money only because BMW gave me some vouchers.. if u're getting it for 270 personally i think it's ok.. if you're OCD like me.

If you do come across some good ones please let me know.. I can't use it on my current car
J1n,

Yep, that is the one I was looking at. I know what you mean about protecting the doors. I have two cocker spaniels that get extremely excited when we drive to the park. When we stop, they just about try to open the doors themselves (or rather, try to rip through the doors to get out!).

You said these Universal seat covers take a while to install - are we talking 5 minutes or 50 minutes to fit?

How long does it take to remove the seat cover when you want to put humans in the back? I assume this is a much quicker process than fitting.

I'll also be checking out some alternatives when I get back to Adelaide in a week or two, and I'll let you know how I go. I plan to look at some off-the-shelf covers and a custom made one.
      04-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #19
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I got a shiba inu and I just use a hammock seat cover you can find on amazon. Its alot cheaper than what BMW has to offer.
2014 BMW 328xi | Estoril Blue II | Msport | Premium/Tech/Sound/Lighting | M performance brakes | M performance exhaust | M performance Black Kidney Grilles| M performance front splitter |M performance trunk lid spoiler| BMW 361 rims | Carbon Fiber/Alcantara interior trim | Ingen short ram air intake | Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Dinan Intake | MS Race X pipe | Eisenmann Race|
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #20
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Not at all 5-7 minutes... lol... It's really good dont get me wrong.. I wish i had em for my 6

Try get em off like places like bmwparts.com if u get them from overseas they're like US250 ?

Quote:
J1n,

Yep, that is the one I was looking at. I know what you mean about protecting the doors. I have two cocker spaniels that get extremely excited when we drive to the park. When we stop, they just about try to open the doors themselves (or rather, try to rip through the doors to get out!).

You said these Universal seat covers take a while to install - are we talking 5 minutes or 50 minutes to fit?

How long does it take to remove the seat cover when you want to put humans in the back? I assume this is a much quicker process than fitting.

I'll also be checking out some alternatives when I get back to Adelaide in a week or two, and I'll let you know how I go. I plan to look at some off-the-shelf covers and a custom made one.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #21
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Thanks J1n,
5-7 minutes is OK for the peace of mind of having good protection from the little 4-legged hairy critters. I have a feeling that the BMW Universal cover will be the best (most practical) on the market, but as I said earlier, I'll check around a few other options and let you know how I go.

With regard to the custom option, I'll ask what they could do for your 6er. If memory serves me well, I think your beast is a 2 door 6er, not the 4 door GC.
      04-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #22
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
You can get the universal rear seat cover from BMW for less than $250 here.
Appreciate 0