F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > ECU flash - questions
Extreme Powerhouse

01-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #23
mightycrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 320d black sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolala View Post
Yes, understood, and thanks for your explanation. I have Rheingold to clear out all errors.

Could you tell me more, if flashing ECUs with engine off, how to prevent the auto electric power cut off in the middle of flashing process? The electric power will be cut off after a few minutes idle, right?

Thanks in advance!
Switch to parking Iight and open your door should keep it for more than 20 min. And when you are in TAL execution . power won't be cut.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #24
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycrown View Post
Switch to parking Iight and open your door should keep it for more than 20 min. And when you are in TAL execution . power won't be cut.
TAL execution power won't be cut

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:18 AM   #25
Weave
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: F31

Sorry to step in here as a newbee.
What is the benefit of updating single modules like NBT?
Would it allow to code any new features on the NBT or is it just fixing bugs?

Thanks, Weave
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #26
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolala View Post
Yes, understood, and thanks for your explanation. I have Rheingold to clear out all errors.

Could you tell me more, if flashing ECUs with engine off, how to prevent the auto electric power cut off in the middle of flashing process? The electric power will be cut off after a few minutes idle, right?

Thanks in advance!
The best way to keep the car awake without lights is using ISTA.
I've been able to keep my car locked ignition on with just my laptop, ICOM, and wifi hotspot inside and a 15amp trickle charger to the battery. I coded remotely from inside my apartment to my car outside in the parking lot for over 4 hours and battery voltage never fell below 12.7v (it was monitored continuously via ISTA which is the recommended minimum voltage for flashing and coding.)
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #27
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
I've been able to keep my car locked ignition on with just my laptop, ICOM, and wifi hotspot inside and a 15amp trickle charger to the battery. I coded remotely from inside my apartment to my car outside in the parking lot for over 4 hours and battery voltage never fell below 12.7v (it was monitored continuously via ISTA which is the recommended minimum voltage for flashing and coding.)
Great! I got it!
You are using ISTA/P to flash the ECUs, and during ISTA is connected to the car, the car is kept awake.
If I need to flash NBT and Kombi only, how much time do you think it needs? Do you think I need a charger (although it is risky)? Just curious to ask....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #28
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolala
Quote:
Great! I got it!
You are using ISTA/P to flash the ECUs, and during ISTA is connected to the car, the car is kept awake.
If I need to flash NBT and Kombi only, how much time do you think it needs? Do you think I need a charger (although it is risky)? Just curious to ask....
I don't know how long it will take for sure and since I use an ICOM interface which is significantly faster than ENET in my experience. Just do one module at a time and monitor your battery voltage. If you want to be totally safe use a charger or jump from a running car to keep voltage up.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #29
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how long it will take for sure and since I use an ICOM interface which is significantly faster than ENET in my experience. Just do one module at a time and monitor your battery voltage. If you want to be totally safe use a charger or jump from a running car to keep voltage up.
Okay, I got it. Thanks for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #30
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Hi cryptocar,

I'm now buying a latest version ISTA/P from a local supplier, and I plan to use this to flash my friend's car (all ECUs). I just have ENET, is it possible to use ENET under ISTA/P or just I should all the way use ICOM?

Using ICOM to flash whole car's ECUs will spend about 4 hours? Out of my expectation, it's quite a long time to wait.... Anyway, I will and need to try.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #31
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hi cryptocar,

I'm now buying a latest version ISTA/P from a local supplier, and I plan to use this to flash my friend's car (all ECUs). I just have ENET, is it possible to use ENET under ISTA/P or just I should all the way use ICOM?

Using ICOM to flash whole car's ECUs will spend about 4 hours? Out of my expectation, it's quite a long time to wait.... Anyway, I will and need to try.

Thanks!
ISTA/P is only for E-series cars or has been hacked to work with F-chassis cars.
ISTA/D is the newer F-series equivalent.

You should be able to configure any install of ISTA to work with your EDIBIAS Config (K+DCAN, ENET, etc.) or ICOM which is by far and away the best method. It's the most secure, reliable, most feature packed, and fastest interface method. I used ENET cables for a while but the first was DOA second lasted a couple months third died a couple weeks ago. I only use my ICOM now.

Also you said you're buying it from some retailer? Unless you're buying it from BMW or an authorized BMW reseller you're being scammed. The software can easily be found for free online.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #32
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
ISTA/P is only for E-series cars or has been hacked to work with F-chassis cars.

You should be able to configure any install of ISTA to work with your EDIBIAS Config (K+DCAN, ENET, etc.) or ICOM which is by far and away the best method. It's the most secure, reliable, most feature packed, and fastest interface method. I used ENET cables for a while but the first was DOA second lasted a couple months third died a couple weeks ago. I only use my ICOM now.

Also you said you're buying it from some retailer? Unless you're buying it from BMW or an authorized BMW reseller you're being scammed. The software can easily be found for free online.
I never tried ISTA/P before. To my understanding, ISTA/P is used to do programming and ISTA/D (Rheingold) is used to do diagnostic. My copy of ISTA/D cannot do programming (flashing ecu). I'm not sure but anyway it doesn't matter as I always love to try different software.

One more question. What is the main usage of ICOM except it is more speedy? I cannot find the answer from Internet...
I asked this because ICOM is not cheap. Only if worth it, I will plan to buy a ICOM. Otherwise, I stick with ENET.

Thanks again for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:09 AM   #33
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I never tried ISTA/P before. To my understanding, ISTA/P is used to do programming and ISTA/D (Rheingold) is used to do diagnostic. My copy of ISTA/D cannot do programming (flashing ecu). I'm not sure but anyway it doesn't matter as I always love to try different software.

One more question. What is the main usage of ICOM except it is more speedy? I cannot find the answer from Internet...
I asked this because ICOM is not cheap. Only if worth it, I will plan to buy a ICOM. Otherwise, I stick with ENET.

Well you're not quite correct. ISTA/P is an older version of the ISTA used with E series cars. ISTA/D (Rheingold or the newer ISTA+) is for F series cars and some backwards compatibility to E series cars. ISTA/D is fully equipped to do coding and programming although most versions out there do not have it enabled by default. Just adding 3 lines to your ISTAGUI.exe.config file allows for the basic and advanced dealer level firmware/i-step upgrades, programming, modifications, module coding and retrofits.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:13 AM   #34
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Trust me speed matters when it comes to flashing modules it's not like twice as fast it can be nearly 10x ENET because there's a microprocessor in the ICOM acting as an interface with the vehicle CANBUS system. You can shop around for cheaper ICOMs as well I paid ~$150 for mine and all 3 of the ENET cables I purchased for $20-$30 each from Amazon and eBay failed after a few months.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 03:04 AM   #35
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Just adding 3 lines to your ISTAGUI.exe.config file allows for the basic and advanced dealer level firmware/i-step upgrades, programming, modifications, module coding and retrofits.
Can you explain what exactly has to be changed in the Config file?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #36
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsab0 View Post
Can you explain what exactly has to be changed in the Config file?
Add these keys under app settings.
The third key should point to the directory containing your full psdzdata directory, in my case it's saved on my D:\Data\psdzsata.

PHP Code:
<!-- Enable Programming -->
    <
add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.Enabled" value="true" />
    <
add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.ExpertMode" value="true" />    
    <
add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.PsdzDataPath" value="D:\Data"/> 
Be very careful testing and using these settings they are relatively new finds to the open community and in most cases E-Sys is still the best option for coding and flashing modules.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #37
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #38
bmwdd
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

doesnt work, after adding the 3 lines ISTA fails to load, and ask for re-installation

should it be "Enable" instead of "Enabled"?

Last edited by bmwdd; 02-29-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #39
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdd
doesnt work, after adding the 3 lines ISTA fails to load, and ask for re-installation

My lines are copy pasted from my Config, they are correct. What version of ISTA and SQLdbs do you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #40
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had success with adding these 3 lines.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #41
bmwdd
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:

My lines are copy pasted from my Config, they are correct. What version of ISTA and SQLdbs do you have?
They are v3.52
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #42
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:

They are v3.52
The full version matters x.xx.xx also is it an ISPI package install, a standalone install, etc.

I use ISTA 3.53.30 standalone and dbs 3.53.13 I know it works on this version. Do you have your third key pointed to the proper directory for your FULL psdzdata directory?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #43
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Well you're not quite correct. ISTA/P is an older version of the ISTA used with E series cars. ISTA/D (Rheingold or the newer ISTA+) is for F series cars and some backwards compatibility to E series cars. ISTA/D is fully equipped to do coding and programming although most versions out there do not have it enabled by default. Just adding 3 lines to your ISTAGUI.exe.config file allows for the basic and advanced dealer level firmware/i-step upgrades, programming, modifications, module coding and retrofits.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
All understood. It's cool! I will try this definitely since I have the latest full version Esys already. It saves me a lot for getting the ISTA version with programming.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #44
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Trust me speed matters when it comes to flashing modules it's not like twice as fast it can be nearly 10x ENET because there's a microprocessor in the ICOM acting as an interface with the vehicle CANBUS system. You can shop around for cheaper ICOMs as well I paid ~$150 for mine and all 3 of the ENET cables I purchased for $20-$30 each from Amazon and eBay failed after a few months.
Hi cryptocar,

You means the ICOM A2(it is a large rectangle box), right?
Appreciate 0