F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Brake Performance Question Only: OEM v. M-Sport Or M-Performance
proTUNING Freaks

02-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport, RWD

Brake Performance Question Only: OEM v. M-Sport Or M-Performance

I am considering upgrading my brake system on my 328i Sport Line for DD and advanced track use. I know there have been many threads discussing the M-Sport and M-Performance brakes in terms of price, appearance, and fitment. I would like to limit this post to just performance differences compared to oem brakes or other BBK systems. Specifically, how do they feel and perform on the street compared to the oem system or other BBKs. For those who have tracking experience, how do they perform on the track?

I don't think we can assume the M-Sport or M-Performance are automatically a big upgrade from stock. I have read mixed reviews on those who have upgraded to these brakes, which include some complaints of poor pedal feel compared to the oem brakes. Also, people with the BMW 135 had problems / complaints with their oem BMW/brembo equiped brakes--at least in terms of brake fade on track. The BMW M-Performance brakes, front and rear, for the F30 can be purchased for 2K--which seems like a steal. After all, Stop Tech ST-40 (6-Piston) and Brembo GT (6-Piston) brakes systems start at 3K for the fronts only. That makes me wonder whether the M-Sport or M-Performance brakes are really a big perfomance upgrade? I would truly appreciate thoughts or advice from those who have experience on this topic.

Thank you in advance...
Midwestern Council TT Champion, BS, ‘17 BRZ, ‘19

Last edited by JMK007; 02-05-2013 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

BUMP^ Very Interested in the technical response.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Im not an expert but Im under the impression that bigger discs n calipers should mean less fade since u have a bigger breaking-area and therefore dont need to break as heavily as u'd have to with smaller ones, assuming u have the same tires on each setup to disregard that factor. But then again u can have better pads on the smaller ones minimizing the fade. But I would assume the pads on the M and M Performance ar at least as good as the OEM ones, so they should fade a little less.

Pure assumptions here.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0