F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > ED questions
Extreme Powerhouse

02-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

ED questions

Ok, so I searched around a bit on the ED and I have questions. I have traveled to different countries around the world (portugal, romania, morrocco,inda, and most of south america). Out of all those countries portugal was the only one I felt comfortable in. I'm talking in terms like not everyone was trying to scam me or beg for money. So of course my questions are:
-how are the countries that you visit doing ED in terms of friendly people?
-How is the english speaking in those areas?
-how is it with currency, will you need mostly cash/euros?
-with the driving around, is it crazy? Like india and south america i thought i was going to die the whole taxi rides. No one follows rules.

I travel for work, but I have honestly gotten a bad taste in my mouth from overseas travel. Every time I have asked someone a question in another country, it's like "let's try to scam this guy" and i can never get any information if I need it. maybe I'm just a poor traveler and need some lessons, so that's why i'm here!. I've looked at peoples pictures of their ED and was amazed and it looked so enjoyable, so i want to know the little details.
in other notes, I am traveling to lithaunia in 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Most European countries are more tourist friendly, depending on which areas you go to. UK, Germany, Switzerland, and France are always good ideas, and in the major cities it's fairly easy to get by on English. Driving in these countries are also not a problem.

Tourism is by definition a rip-off industry, no matter where you go. Hell, just look at prices in all the touristy places in the US, 8 bucks for a hotdog. Play it smart, do your research beforehand, don't be totally obvious (walking around with backpack and giant camera and crocs or sth), and don't wave around a giant wad of cash or any ostentatious items (AKA keep that $5,000 watch or $15,000 ring at home).

However, there are some countries that are definitely worse. Italy, and in particular Rome is not very tourist friendly. If you don't look like a local or speak the language, they'll mark up all prices for all goods and services by at least 100% just as a general rule. Taxi rides that usually cost 30 Euros are all of a sudden 100 for tourists.

Personally never done ED myself (timing didn't allow for it for my F30, hoping to do it in the future), but I have been to all the above listed countries.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
Ok, so I searched around a bit on the ED and I have questions. I have traveled to different countries around the world (portugal, romania, morrocco,inda, and most of south america). Out of all those countries portugal was the only one I felt comfortable in. I'm talking in terms like not everyone was trying to scam me or beg for money. So of course my questions are:
I went to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and France during my ED, and everyone was friendly. We we very obviously "tourists" in appearance and behavior.

Quote:
Generally pretty good. Italy is probably the least English-friendly. It helps to know the basics in all countries you'll be travelling to, i.e. please, thank-you, good morning, etc.

Quote:
Yes, everything except hotels should be paid for with cash/euros.

Quote:
-with the driving around, is it crazy? Like india and south america i thought i was going to die the whole taxi rides. No one follows rules.
Italy is a bit crazy, mainly because there as so many motorcycles, and the roads are narrow.

Quote:
I travel for work, but I have honestly gotten a bad taste in my mouth from overseas travel. Every time I have asked someone a question in another country, it's like "let's try to scam this guy" and i can never get any information if I need it. maybe I'm just a poor traveler and need some lessons, so that's why i'm here!. I've looked at peoples pictures of their ED and was amazed and it looked so enjoyable, so i want to know the little details.
I did not feel we were scammed, and we did quite the ED adventure. Only in Switzerland did I feel I was being ripped off at the prices of food, etc. But I understand that is one of the most expensive countries in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

sounds good so far. I was actually not even planning on going to Italy, so I guess thats a good thing. I'm half italian, i know the people, i can live without seeing them lol. I really wanted to tour germany and maybe up to amsterdam.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
F30SD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting on 335i MG Sportline

I had an amazing time. I went to Germany, Austria, Croatia, Italy, back through Munich, Prague, Munich again, (my buddy picked up a hot blonde german girl in Munich) Black forest, France, then up to Nurbergring, then on to Amsterdam.
Best 17 days I have ever spent. I brought about 1500 Euro, and paid for hotels and gas with credit card, the credit cards are hit and miss at some places because US cards do not have the "Chip and Pin" and are signature based instead. Check with your banks for fees before you go. Capital One and Discover both have no foreign transaction fees cards.

ATM machines are pretty easy as well if you don't want to carry a lot of cash with you, I used them in Prague(kroner) and Croatia(kuna) and they worked great.
My favorite places were Bavaria (Munich and Prague) The beer is amazing, I prefer ales over lagers but the lagers in Bavaria are exceptional, the best in the world. Hiking in the black forest was really nice and it was fun to get away from the major cities and tourist areas, One of the best parts of the ED is the ability to go to the smaller off track regions and explore.

Don't try and plan your whole trip out before you get there. You will end up wanting to stay in one city longer and skip another, having some flexibility in your plans goes a long way.

Restaurants take a long time. Usually an hour+ for lunch, 2 for dinner.
Amsterdam is a must as well. Great Museums, and the red light district has to be seen to believed.

Enjoy the Autobahn and avoid the Staus(traffic jams)!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
gamehaus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

You'd be traveling in the 'first world' filled with people richer than you, starting in the most industrialized and well financed country in all of Europe. Unless you chose to drive in the opposite direction of most ED consumers upon delivery (east) you should be in good company.

That said, your trip will start off with a $7 latte in the airport Starbucks, so who says you won't get scammed anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm happy i made this thread. There should be a sticky with common little questions like these, because it's the little details i'm interested in.

Yea the airport stuff is always a scam, that's why i usually pack food for my trip to a country, and then eat plane food and I bring lots of granola bars lol. I don't think I can survive a full week on that though haha.

It would seem to me that you need a navigation system if your gonna drive around also. How else would you find where you need to go? Also, let's say you wanted to drive your car for like a day or 2 around germany then the rest of the trip you wanted to travel by train, can you ship the car from germany?

OOOO and gas stations, easy to find? And is that something you'd pay cash for also?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Not sure if it's possible, but I'm pretty sure if you have Nav on your car BMW will load EU maps onto it for you to use during ED, and then your dealer can update to NA maps once it's back.

If you weren't planning on Nav, I'd recommend it strongly, along with the whole tech package. LOVE the HUD. If you do have it, then just use that to find nearby gas stations.

I'm sure you can arrange flexible car drop off location and times if you wanted to do most of the trip by train. Me personally, I'm gonna drive the heck outa my car once I do a ED.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Fireline43,

Welcome among us, you are lucky to have a job that takes you around the world !
and because of it, i would imagine you be the most prepared among us for knowing how to make your way through unknown places...

Having said that, i haven't travelled as much as other people but i think the minimum you need when traveling is street smart... and knowing how to watch you behind.

Seeing the list of places you have been, it would seem logical Portugal would be more more "civilized" place.

It would reassure you to know that the rest of Europe are more civilized and traveler friendly, although you ALWAYS have to keep an eye that is aware of your surrounding.

YOu can never go as if you are walking down the street of your neighborhood.
Especially if you display that American look... i would suggest you blend it and dont draw too much attention to yourself.

"When in Rome, ... "

Good Luck in Luthuania.... it's still considered Eastern Europe and have a past with the Russians... Nothing wrong with it, and apologies in advance to members here who are from those regions. I know nothing of it, therefore i cannot properly speak of it. If you can chime in to help our frequent traveler here.

No matter where you go Fireline43, just be aware of your surrounding.

I was very fortunate to have been able to do my ED right when the F30, the car i have been waiting for 10 years! The stars must have been aligned for me to be able the afford a brand new BMW, have time to take a vacation, at the same time as the F30 first came out for me to be among the first owners of the F30, etc etc...

I am just very happy to have been able to check marked one of my items on my bucket list now, especially this one, instead of having to wait any longer...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:

Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Austria?

You don't know if these are modern, developed countries?

If you're a tourist going to tourist sites, people will try to make money off you no matter where you are....it's what they do. Beggars go to the main populated sites, just like in any other major city in the entire world. Scam-wise, hard to say...depends on what you consider a scam.

You've looked at people's ED pictures, what did it look like to you? I've never seen single ED pic that looked anything like the roads in India.

But whether you feel like you're being scammed or not, the real question is, do you care about seeing the world? I want to see places, so I just go. I can deal with the fact that there are differences because I understand that the stuff people are OK with in other countries is sometimes different from what I am OK with in my country. But I'm in their country, so it is what it is.

Regardless, if you're talking about places like Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Austria, I mean....well, whatever...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Austria?

You don't know if these are modern, developed countries?

If you're a tourist going to tourist sites, people will try to make money off you no matter where you are....it's what they do. Beggars go to the main populated sites, just like in any other major city in the entire world. Scam-wise, hard to say...depends on what you consider a scam.

You've looked at people's ED pictures, what did it look like to you? I've never seen single ED pic that looked anything like the roads in India.

But whether you feel like you're being scammed or not, the real question is, do you care about seeing the world? I want to see places, so I just go. I can deal with the fact that there are differences because I understand that the stuff people are OK with in other countries is sometimes different from what I am OK with in my country. But I'm in their country, so it is what it is.

Regardless, if you're talking about places like Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Austria, I mean....well, whatever...
no no, dont take me the wrong way here. I understand other countries, just if im not so comfortable taking a road trip around them unless its not too different. I mean it's easy to get lost driving around the united states, but i know if i need help, its easy to find and i know the language.
yea the pictures look nothing like the other countries i mentioned. Morrocco was the worst I've been to so far. Alot of anti American and i got cursed out by a cab driver because i didnt agree to his horrible rate. wanted 100 dollars for a 10 minute ride before i got in. He made quite a scene and i didnt feel safe.
In India i was at a national monument, they have guards walking around like park patrol, i asked one which way was a bathroom and he showed me then demanded i pay him. He had a gun and police so i pretty much had to.
These are the things im afraid of when traveling especially if i have my BMW with me.

I have never heard anything bad about Germany so im excited to do that, but other countries around I've heard mixed reviews. So i like hearing peoples experience here.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Quote:

Reading your post and the questions asked I don't think you'll enjoy doing a Euro Delivery.
Highest Regards
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Quote:

I'm not sure why you're considering an ED given your history, but Germans are not Moroccans. As a matter of fact, in many ways you'll find Germany more "developed" than the US. I completed my ED in December. I encountered nothing of you fear. I even went to Italy for a couple of days.

To answer your questions:

- Almost everyone speaks some English.
- You can look up the current conversion rate, an you'll take a hit, but hotels can be cheaper in Germany than a comparable one in the US. I think it's dependent on the time of year.
- Regarding the rules, YOU better follow the rules in Germany because there more of them. If you're not paying attention you'll get a 500 bhp Mercedes S-Class right up your ass closing at 200kmph in a blink.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Considering ed based on peoples stories and pictures here. I love German cars and German food. And I have heard Germany is like you said developed. Plus ordering the exact car I want sounds awesome.
I would be learned some basic German before I went also. I want to plan this trip by like 3 years. So id like to prepare now if I can make it an easy transition.
just cause I've had bad traveling experiences I still want to see things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
I'm not sure why you're considering an ED given your history, but Germans are not Moroccans. As a matter of fact, in many ways you'll find Germany more "developed" than the US. I completed my ED in December. I encountered nothing of you fear. I even went to Italy for a couple of days.

To answer your questions:

- Almost everyone speaks some English.
- You can look up the current conversion rate, an you'll take a hit, but hotels can be cheaper in Germany than a comparable one in the US. I think it's dependent on the time of year.
- Regarding the rules, YOU better follow the rules in Germany because there more of them. If you're not paying attention you'll get a 500 bhp Mercedes S-Class right up your ass closing at 200kmph in a blink.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

I know zero about the German language ...

I went and i came back here fine ...

Dont make it hard on yourself and you dont certainly dont need to make it overly complicated

Just go order the car whenever you are ready.

But it wouldn't hurt to plan it for 3 years...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
I know zero about the German language ...

I went and i came back here fine ...

Dont make it hard on yourself and you dont certainly dont need to make it overly complicated

Just go order the car whenever you are ready.

But it wouldn't hurt to plan it for 3 years...
Yea im tad ocd. Thanks for the advice. Yea I have to plan it for a couple years to save up.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Regarding the food, it's a disappointment. We have better sausages here. German sausage is bland. I went to the Hofbrauhaus, several restaurants, and like 5 German Christmas markets. The Christmas markets had the best sausage.

I've got to post my ED trip pictures.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
Regarding the food, it's a disappointment. We have better sausages here. German sausage is bland. I went to the Hofbrauhaus, several restaurants, and like 5 German Christmas markets. The Christmas markets had the best sausage.

I've got to post my ED trip pictures.
Man eating at Hofbrauhaus is like a German tourist eating at Applebee's and expecting it to be fine American cuisine.

There is plenty of good food over there
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Awwww, well let's get some suggestions on restaurants!
Appreciate 0