F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My 2014 335i Review
Extreme Powerhouse

07-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #23
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice review. some good insight for anyone in there.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #24
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Added some updates after having a diesel loaner recently and some thoughts that came out of it.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #25
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Excellent, concise review.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #26
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Sounds like the door seal issue is the same one being discussed in the large thread a few pages back.

My local dealer has acknowledged the noise as well but offers no solution other than to try and lay the blame at the feet of the dealership I bought the car from (they say it must be from a detailing product they used in the delivery process..........riiiiight) but I've noticed now after a fresh wax job on the car (to include the gloss black shadowline trim) it is nonexistant. It slowly comes back though starting out minor and then getting worse and worse to the point where it is nearly a constant sound only to disappear again with a new coat of wax.

I've seen a few different fixes but none permanent and it looks like some have even had new seals put in under warranty only for it to come back. I might try to do a permanent "self-fix" with some sort of tape with a low friction coefficient.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #27
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

They gave me some of the compound for fixing it. I'll post info on it. It's been silent for over a week now.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #28
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

What did you think about the Cadillac ATS? It is (was) on my final list...probably #2 in this class. Ultimately I found the styling to be a bit too reserved (not enough "sport" options), and the rear sear room inexcusably small. But that chassis/handling...wow; I agree with most: best in class. The ATS-V will surely be special.

p.s. I do have a crush on the new CTS V-sport, which by almost all accounts and reviews IS best-in-class.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #29
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
What did you think about the Cadillac ATS? It is (was) on my final list...probably #2 in this class. Ultimately I found the styling to be a bit too reserved (not enough "sport" options), and the rear sear room inexcusably small. But that chassis/handling...wow; I agree with most: best in class. The ATS-V will surely be special.

p.s. I do have a crush on the new CTS V-sport, which by almost all accounts and reviews IS best-in-class.
I would really want to love Cadillacs but the angular look just is off putting to me and is so temporary. Many (used to be most) BMWs will look great for a long time- especially the 4.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #30
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:

The outer styling was a bit of a detractor for me on the ATS but the big two reasons were - the manual didn't come with the bigger engine and the 2.0L was a little more coarse than I liked. The deal breaker though was I test drove two cars, and had a rental a few months earlier that was an ATS and I found build problems/loose parts/uneven seams etc on all three rather quickly. So I had real concerns about build quality.

I loved the handling, and honestly kind of liked the ridiculous interior styling, but that build quality issue and manual trans issue really killed the deal.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #31
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn
Quote:

The outer styling was a bit of a detractor for me on the ATS but the big two reasons were - the manual didn't come with the bigger engine and the 2.0L was a little more coarse than I liked. The deal breaker though was I test drove two cars, and had a rental a few months earlier that was an ATS and I found build problems/loose parts/uneven seams etc on all three rather quickly. So I had real concerns about build quality.

I loved the handling, and honestly kind of liked the ridiculous interior styling, but that build quality issue and manual trans issue really killed the deal.
Thanks.

I'd not really noticed any build quality issues with the interior, but the one thing that I absolutely hated - and it is widely derided - was the instrument cluster.

I was hopeful Cadillac would attempt to correct some of the widely noted shortcomings in the 2015 refresh, but alas, they didn't. Here were the things that should've been done to really push it to another level:

- offer more aggressive sport options (colors, wheels, or a V-sport model much like the CTS or M-sport option from BMW)
- offer the new 8-speed transmission from the CTS
- address instrument cluster by offering the full digital TFT setup from the CTS
- address rear seat room by sculpting the back of the rear seats (see quick refresh of the latest Malibu)

If they'd done even a few of these, I might have been on board because it's just a pleasure to drive. Instead, they modified the front fascia slightly (making it LESS aggressive in my opinion), changed the logo and offered a few new interior colors. The only significant change was the added torque on the 2.0 turbo, which is great.

Regardless, I think Cadillac is clearly on their game and the next ATS will truly be world class (like the new CTS).

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #32
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Yeah, the ATS is a GOOD car, no doubt about it. You are comparing serious heavyweights when you are in the 3-Series, A4/S4, C350, IS350 group. Lot of competition. So it was splitting hairs.

The most egregious build quality thing I found was the plastic dash vent on the passenger side popped out of the dash on some bumps and that shocked me. Few rattles and some uneven fit lines just compounded to make me nervous.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #33
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Friend of mine drives an F30 335 seems to like it but has nothing to compare with (1st Bimmer) Myself having Owned an E46 330 followed by another only this time a 330 Performance package from 04 then my beloved E92 08 M3 now currently my 2013 "Is' Gave it a spin and what struck me is the steering feel with zero connectivity and the size of the thing.... It felt HUGE!!! Have some serious thinking to do upon my next choice. Nice write up by the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #34
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Friend of mine drives an F30 335 seems to like it but has nothing to compare with (1st Bimmer) Myself having Owned an E46 330 followed by another only this time a 330 Performance package from 04 then my beloved E92 08 M3 now currently my 2013 "Is' Gave it a spin and what struck me is the steering feel with zero connectivity and the size of the thing.... It felt HUGE!!! Have some serious thinking to do upon my next choice. Nice write up by the way.
I always felt like the E90 felt huge after being in the E36 so much. I can say that the longer I drive the F30 the more I like it. It also "shrinks". I ran it pretty hard in the twisties this weekend and it was pretty impeccable. It is definitely more capable than the previous generations, it ate up corners with confidence at speeds that should not have been so easy. I also found that the "squirm" from the rear end seems to die down when you drive it harder. I think the suspension is more loaded from the start and then you don't get the wiggle or compliance because the bushings are fully flexed.

I did find it interesting as well that sport+ will still intervene if you get it out of shape a good bit. Allows plenty of wheel spin etc, but prevents you from getting too stupid. I had assumed it would be fully off, so I was surprised when I got some throttle cut from it.

Great car though!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #35
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post

I did find it interesting as well that sport+ will still intervene if you get it out of shape a good bit. Allows plenty of wheel spin etc, but prevents you from getting too stupid. I had assumed it would be fully off, so I was surprised when I got some throttle cut from it.

Great car though!
It will keep you from getting too sideways but will still allow full wheel spin in a straight line.

If you want all the nannies off you have to press the DTC button for 5 secs. Then it's just you and the machine and the occasional intervention from the eLSD.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #36
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
It will keep you from getting too sideways but will still allow full wheel spin in a straight line.

If you want all the nannies off you have to press the DTC button for 5 secs. Then it's just you and the machine and the occasional intervention from the eLSD.
That was as I'd expect. The info I didn't have, that if you are confident on is great news, is that the eLSD is still in effect with the DSC 5 second routine.

Sport+ and it's settings are perfect for spirited street driving. I'll need the full off for autocross though.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0