F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Mode vs. Knocking Shifter into "Sport"
proTUNING Freaks

03-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Sport Mode vs. Knocking Shifter into "Sport"

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just curious what the differences are in the following modes of the 3/4 series?

Dynamic Setting: SPORT
Shifter Setting: SPORT
or doing both -

or is there even any difference at all?

I do not have DHP, just a 2015 M-Sport.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Depending on your options, 'sport mode' stiffens suspension (if adaptives are optioned), sets steering to sport mode (if performance rack optioned) and increases throttle sensitivity, as well as dropping 1-3 gears, depending where you were in the transmission in the first place. Sport plus disengages DSC.

Shifting the gear lever will just drop the gears, no other dynamic functions enabled. Quick and easy solution for an opportunistic overtake though without looking down at the console to check what you're pressing.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post

or doing both -

Two different things going on; when you alter the chassis modes (Eco Pro/Comfort/Sport/Sport+) you are essentially remapping the accelerator so it's more aggressive in how much throttle the car is applying even though you're still giving it the same amount via your foot. It will also adjust the electronic steering so that it feels heavier or sportier, and last if you have DHP [which neither of us do ] it would alter the suspension.

Putting the transmission itself into sport mode alters the shift points to hold gears longer or shift at a higher RPM, it may do other things such as make downshifting more aggressive as well but I don't have an AT so I cannot confirm.
      03-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

or doing both -

My comment is for the gearbox function. There are differences, certainly if you are running the sport automatic transmission (SAT). Sport mode is like a 'half way' sport program. Add the shifter function, flick to M/S, and gear changes are elevated and faster. Often noticed by a further down change, as you move the shifter to M/S.

This subject has been discussed in quite a few threads, in at least a couple of them a chart from one of the forum members sets out the variables.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #5
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Exhaust Burble...
      03-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Eliott_C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i MSport Convertible

When you just knock the shifter in S while in comfort mode you can't do high rev down shifting, whereas when you put the car in sport mode with the dynamic mode control you can do this and it's just AMAZING !
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

or doing both -

My comment is for the gearbox function. There are differences, certainly if you are running the sport automatic transmission (SAT). Sport mode is like a 'half way' sport program. Add the shifter function, flick to M/S, and gear changes are elevated and faster. Often noticed by a further down change, as you move the shifter to M/S.

This subject has been discussed in quite a few threads, in at least a couple of them a chart from one of the forum members sets out the variables.

HighlandPete
I initially felt the same way you did i.e. moving the shift to S initiated a more aggressive transmission shift program than just "Sport" mode engaged (with "drivetrain" or "drivetrain+chassis" selected via idrive). However, I'm not convinced of this any longer.

I think the initial incremental downshift when shifting into S mode provides the perception of further aggressiveness; however, if further throttle pressure is not applied, the AT shifts up to the next gear quickly and the program feels very similar to the standard "Sport".

We're probably splitting hairs, but, that's my take after a good deal of playing around between the different modes.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
I initially felt the same way you did i.e. moving the shift to S initiated a more aggressive transmission shift program than just "Sport" mode engaged (with "drivetrain" or "drivetrain+chassis" selected via idrive). However, I'm not convinced of this any longer.

I think the initial incremental downshift when shifting into S mode provides the perception of further aggressiveness; however, if further throttle pressure is not applied, the AT shifts up to the next gear quickly and the program feels very similar to the standard "Sport".

We're probably splitting hairs, but, that's my take after a good deal of playing around between the different modes.
I played a bit more with my 535i today and there are definitely differences, even at constant speeds and throttle settings. My car would drop a gear and just hold it in M/S shifter position, not up change to the gear it would use in Sport mode alone. Change points were higher in M/S position, than in Sport mode.

But... and here is the variable, it is still influenced by driver adaption, so it is not a constant. Get certain loads and speeds (influenced by how I was gaining speed) and the gears could be the same in both Sport mode and with shifter in M/S position. (Moving the shifter to M/S didn't drop another gear). It appears there is not one answer.

HighlandPete

PS. Remember DVC's chart? He listed differences across the modes in his 335i after experimenting.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
mastereh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328 xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliott_C View Post
When you just knock the shifter in S while in comfort mode you can't do high rev down shifting, whereas when you put the car in sport mode with the dynamic mode control you can do this and it's just AMAZING !
Is that where you Rev match?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 05:26 AM   #10
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Sport Mode - depending on how you configured it - will increase throttle response and make the automatic shift later. The S Mode on the level will only do late shifting (higher revs), but at different points than Sport Mode. You can combine both modes and make Sport Mode shift even later if you engage S Mode while in Sport Mode.

It's confusing and even the dealers often don't know the difference.

Before BMW introduced the three modes (Eco, Comfort and Sport(+)) there only used to be S Mode on the gear level. Not sure why they kept it after introducing the three other modes.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Here you go.
Attached Images

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

great info - wish bmw actually documented this stuff but i doubt other manufacturers would either. thanks for the infographic too very thorough!

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
Eliott_C
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastereh View Post
Is that where you Rev match?
Not exactly ! In sport mode you get rev matching and ability to down shift at 5000rpm and more...

Whereas if you leave the car in comfort and just shift the transmission in S, you doesn't get rev matching and ability to downshift up to the redline...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Hey, what is high rev down shifting?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
Eliott_C
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Hey, what is high rev down shifting?
That's it :

Quote:
ability to down shift at 5000rpm and more...

Whereas if you leave the car in comfort and just shift the transmission in S, you doesn't get rev matching and ability to downshift up to the redline...
Appreciate 0