F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > The Ever so Annoying Curb Check...
GetBMWParts

07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

The Ever so Annoying Curb Check...

Well I always wanted to replace the stock SportLine 18" wheels and yesterday I turned too sharp on a steep entrance ramp to a dealership to get one of my trucks repaired after an attempted break in.

Long story short both passenger wheels checked a bit against the curb. Nothing severe...should I just go ahead and repair them as I just purchased the Road Hazard package on all 4 tires from Discount Tire? Meaning I have to stick with stock RFT 18''s which to me doesn't really matter since I am not going to be modding out this car too much.

18''s are fine with me...it's a 335i not an M3 coupe, so I'm looking for a square setup just like OEM. But opinions? Repair/refinish the stockers or upgrade?

For those of yall local here in Houston what's a reliable shop and reasonable price per wheel? I have a driver rear with minor damage as well (last couple of pics).

Damage isn't that severe just on the passenger rear the rash is pretty high up.

Below are pics after I cleaned it up a tad with Blue Magic Polish:

Passenger front:

Passenger rear:

Driver Rear (Prior Damage at a car wash)

Thanks!
Alex
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Not too severe? Those are pretty bad, but I believe they can be fixed by a good repair guy. If you have coverage, don't waste it on the stock wheels.
      07-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Lol, I +1 the above comment. You managed to do more harm in that single incident than I have done in all my years driving!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

I'd say that the level of damage itself is not too "severe", but the quantity is tremendous. If you were my wife, I'd have divorce papers already drawn up.

But seriously, that's not too big of a repair for a wheel repair company. You might want to call Discount Tire and see who they use. I know I've seen a mobile wheel repair truck at the DTC across from my work.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

The wheels are machined, not painted. I got a very minor road rash from a valet the first week I had my car. The shop had to remove the wheel, remove the tire, and re-machine the wheel on a lathe. I don't know that a mobile wheel repair can do this.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Ouch. Aftermarket wheel time?
      07-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Lol...funny reply guys. Good thing nothing else was affected from that curb! Alignment is still dead on *whew*.

I declined the wheel and tire warranty when signing since after reading the fine print the wheel coverage does not include cosmetic scratches but does include replacement or repair of a bent wheel.

I had a feeling sooner or later I'd scratch them...did not think only at 5,400 miles!!

Also on a side note the reason I want to keep these tires is due to the fact at 4,000 miles I had to replace the driver rear due to a nail puncture on the inside shoulder. Did not know that our Continental RFT's were unrepairable until I visited Discount Tire...so ended up paying for a new tire and went ahead to certify the other 3. Set me back $500 and some change.

I didn't know the stock 18''s on the sportline were machined...thought that was only on the M Sport wheels.

Going to live with it till the stock tires and the Discount Tire certs wear out then reconsider a new tire/wheel package. Anyone know if I did decide to refinish these two wheels approximate cost?

Really don't think refinishing a stock sportline wheel is worth it though lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

I spent $200 to get two 18" stock baseline wheels fixed. Prolly I should have just purchased new wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

During the first month I had the car, I was in the dealership to have some things fixed and during that time one of the porters curbed my wheel. I notified the dealer right away and they had it fixed. Mine was nothing like the extent of your repair, but I'm pretty sure, it can be done. As others have stated, it may not be worth it for you.

One option you could try is to knock down most of the damage with some fine-grit sandpaper and then plasti-dip the wheels. You could then paint over the plastiip in silver or gun metal.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0