F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Most pointless feature/option on an F30
GetBMWParts

08-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #23
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
i wish they would close automatcailly when you lock the doors and open up when you unlock
You can code your car to do this. I use it all the time; It's very handy.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's it!
VERY pointless.

I'd like to make the needle stop moving.
There is digital readout that can show instant MPG if one MUST see it.

I can't tell if the foot swipe to open the trunk/boot is useless of not, because I've now tried it on 3 - 3 series, including mine, and haven't had any success on any of the cars.

The console cup holder cover is pretty dull too.
It doesn't retract, and you have to store it somewhere if you want to use it again. I removed it and it's now in my glovebox where it will remain, likely until I return the car in 3yrs.
So....USELESS in any meaningful way.
At least there is a bungie net attached to the inside top of the glove box to store it in so it doesn't rattle around.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #25
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's it!
VERY pointless.

I'd like to make the needle stop moving.
There is digital readout that can show instant MPG if one MUST see it.

I can't tell if the foot swipe to open the trunk/boot is useless of not, because I've now tried it on 3 - 3 series, including mine, and haven't had any success on any of the cars.

The console cup holder cover is pretty dull too.
It doesn't retract, and you have to store it somewhere if you want to use it again. I removed it and it's now in my glovebox where it will remain, likely until I return the car in 3yrs.
So....USELESS in any meaningful way.

Actually the digital readout on the 3 series (via the i-drive)
is an average readout based on your covered distance traveled since the last reset...

the "real" (often mis-understood as proven here) instantaneous MPG readout is that analog under the tacho...

for a given speed, if you mash on the throttle, you will see that needle going and pointing to a low MPG number...

if you let go of the throttle, and kept your cruising speed, the needle will settle at a higher MPG number... proving that you are using XXXX miles per gallon at that very moment, allowing you to do a quick mental math...: if you estimate you have 5 gallons left in the tank, then you can do 23MPG times 5 gallons = 115 miles until empty (if you were to keep that speed and that rev endlessly...)

but then again you also have the digital estimated remaining mileage read-out before empty... which is based on (a combination) of your average consumption and your instantaneous....

If some BMW engineers who helped code that logic are around here, please feel free to enlight us.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Cover for cup-holders: a rubbish design.
I'll bin mine when I get the car!
For a company that spends so much time on the details, from the sound of the door ajar chime to the development of the i-drive system, I can't believe the way the cup holder cover was designed on this car. Equally, the "always up" Nav Screen baffles me too.

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #27
JWWrock
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I agree the folding mirrors are great. Most useless feature to me is the swinging pendulum that is the "MPG meter" under the speedo.
I also love my mirrors, use them more often than not. i do wish i could make them auto close/open when i locked or turned off the car.

in regards to the "swinging pendulum" you can turn that off in your vehicle settings. i went through and turned off that and the "mode" detail screens. so nice to hit sport mode and NOT have the same freaking graphic pop up each time for 10 seconds!!! now if i could just make the distracted driving warning go away...

which reminds me. only useless feature (aside from the cupholder cover) is the startup distracted driving warning that goes away when you ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
is an average readout based on your covered distance traveled since the last reset...

the "real" (often mis-understood as proven here) instantaneous MPG readout is that analog under the tacho...

for a given speed, if you mash on the throttle, you will see that needle going and pointing to a low MPG number...

if you let go of the throttle, and kept your cruising speed, the needle will settle at a higher MPG number... proving that you are using XXXX miles per gallon at that very moment, allowing you to do a quick mental math...: if you estimate you have 5 gallons left in the tank, then you can do 23MPG times 5 gallons = 115 miles until empty (if you were to keep that speed and that rev endlessly...)

but then again you also have the digital estimated remaining mileage read-out before empty... which is based on (a combination) of your average consumption and your instantaneous....

If some BMW engineers who helped code that logic are around here, please feel free to enlight us.
I think he meant the digital MPG in the instrument display.

It can show 2 different MPG values; Instantaneous (same as the analogue MPG screen) and average (same average show on the iDrive screen), cycled via the BC button.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWWrock View Post
I also love my mirrors, use them more often than not. i do wish i could make them auto close/open when i locked or turned off the car.

in regards to the "swinging pendulum" you can turn that off in your vehicle settings. i went through and turned off that and the "mode" detail screens. so nice to hit sport mode and NOT have the same freaking graphic pop up each time for 10 seconds!!! now if i could just make the distracted driving warning go away...

which reminds me. only useless feature (aside from the cupholder cover) is the startup distracted driving warning that goes away when you ignore it.
These things can be coded. You can fold/unfold the mirrors via the fob or CA and you can turn off the warnings too.

I wouldn't consider these distracted warning useless, just totally annoying!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I agree the folding mirrors are great. Most useless feature to me is the swinging pendulum that is the "MPG meter" under the speedo.
Agreed, the swinging pendulum, I have understood it.

Are you supposed to note down on paper every 1 to 5 seconds while you are driving the current mpg as it swings, calculate the 1000's of numbers at the end of each trip to establish the overall mpg.

Or maybe take a passenger with you on every trip to write the numbers down as writing them down yourself while you are driving would surely be plain stupid not to mention dangerous.

I suppose its not that pointless though. What would fill the space if it wasn't there. Maybe an engine oil or water temp gauge but who would want one them ???
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #31
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by batislav View Post
I donate lots of money to environmental groups.

I also know that BMW has won the sustainable car company of the year most years the past decade and numerous greenest car company awards. Due to the fact that manufacturing can cause more emissions than a car produces in it's lifetime, the average BMW often has less of a carbon footprint than the average prius--creating the batteries is very emissions heavy.

BMW also treats their workers better than many car companies.

Not that BMW should be nominated for sainthood, but for people who care about the environment and working conditions, they are as good a company to choose from as any other.

Products from "budget" companies are often produced under more inhumane conditions and with poorer manufacturing standards and emissions than premium companies.

MPG is not the most important factor in determining environmental impact.
Well said.

I have to say there's nothing I've found "useless" on my car. Everything seems well considered in my view.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
nmduke2001
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Not sure it is pointless, but the storage area where you can put the optional iphone cradle has caused my iphone to overheat twice this week. I don't have the cradle but use the standard white iphone cable to plug in and leave the phone in that compartment. I'll play music from my iphone or take a look at BMW apps. Unfortunately, there is no air vent in the compartment and it turns into a suana.

Bluetooth audio does not allow you to select new songs. You're stuck with what is playing on the iphone (I think. If not, please let me know how to fix this).

I really like the pendulum.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Not spent more than 10 minutes in an F30 and probably a silly question but if you bin the cupholder cover where can you put your coins or keys etc ?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #34
zayd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe

Folding mirrors

You can fold them when locking the car by pressing and holding the lock button. Annoying but better than nothing. UK 328i lux
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #35
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
I would agree with this. I doubt I'll ever use mine.

Everyone will have different opinions on this, but I think the most useless option is lane departure warning. If for whatever reason you can't muster the concentration to stay in your lane, you probably shouldn't be driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #36
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
Not sure it is pointless, but the storage area where you can put the optional iphone cradle has caused my iphone to overheat twice this week. I don't have the cradle but use the standard white iphone cable to plug in and leave the phone in that compartment. I'll play music from my iphone or take a look at BMW apps. Unfortunately, there is no air vent in the compartment and it turns into a suana.

Bluetooth audio does not allow you to select new songs. You're stuck with what is playing on the iphone (I think. If not, please let me know how to fix this).

I really like the pendulum.
Cradle has a built in fan to prevent your phone from overheating
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #37
JWWrock
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayd View Post
You can fold them when locking the car by pressing and holding the lock button. Annoying but better than nothing. UK 328i lux
Thanks! i'll try it out tomorrow! I would still prefer an option to make it happen by default when i lock the car, but since i am NOT going to hook up and code my car, this is indeed better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #38
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF64 View Post
Not spent more than 10 minutes in an F30 and probably a silly question but if you bin the cupholder cover where can you put your coins or keys etc ?
There a rubber-lined hinged-door compartment under the headlamp switch. The ashtray ahead of the cup holder also has room for small things. No solution for sunglasses. Have to keep them in their original case in the drivers side door.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF64 View Post
my coins go in the center compartment around the usb plug, its recessed, probably hold 100 coins.

keys go in front right cup holder and only leave the car when i go out somewhere, they stay in the car when my car is in the garage.
      08-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #40
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
my coins go in the center compartment around the usb plug, its recessed, probably hold 100 coins.

keys go in front right cup holder and only leave the car when i go out somewhere, they stay in the car when my car is in the garage.
Same here but I found that the coins in the center armrest compartment make an excessive sliding-around noise during spirited driving so I got an old-time rubber-plastic coin holder and now they're quiet. Same for my iPod, velcro'd that down to the plastic dock tray, no more sliding-around noise.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #41
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
I like the cover as I will never use a cupholder. I would prefer if the console continued forward, etc., but if there must be cupholders a cover of any kind is wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #42
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
It's a tie between ASS and EcoPro mode.

Owners of $50,000 German luxury cars don't care about the environment, don't care about saving a few pennies, and don't want their cars turning themselves off when they feel like it.

There are hundreds of other cars to which these features are suited, but on an imported luxury performance car they're just hypocritical.

BJ
There is a thread going on right now that you must check out to see how much ECO is loved.
Odd, but true, even from sport and Msport owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #43
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

Yes, but I already know that when I mash the throttle that MPG goes down.
And, under vacuum/no throttle, there is great MPG.
It's gimmicky, and I don't find it useful at all.
My E46 had this too.

I find the gauge useless, and I don't like how it looks, very old tech.
There is a digital readout that's instantaneous.
Not on iDrive, but on the gauge cluster.
My 135i had this as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #44
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I like the cover as I will never use a cupholder. I would prefer if the console continued forward, etc., but if there must be cupholders a cover of any kind is wonderful.
The idea of a cover for the cup holder isn't the bad idea.
It's the implementation.
A nice sliding cover, looks like a treadmill, that rolls back into the console would have been cool.
Slide it open to use holders, slide it back when not in use.
Appreciate 0