F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d x Drive suspension
Studio RSR

03-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Happy Williams
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

335d x Drive suspension

Hi guys, new member here so apologies if I've duplicated a post/ in wrong area!

I've noticed people have changed the springs to slightly lower the car, has anyone done this yet to the 335d? I've had mine since September and covered 30k, the one thing I miss is the sleek low look of my e92 coupe :-(

Don't get my wrong, the car is fab and if it can't be done so be it as it's so good in all other ways! Cheers guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
There are some who intend to lower their 335d (me included). But the jury is still out on the implication of lowering an X drive.

I for one will be waiting for more info to become available before taking the plunge.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Happy Williams
Private
Rep

Hi Daz, ok cheers so where are people with it do you know, has anyone you know of actually done this? All it needs is 15-20mm which won't have an effect, if it does swop it back simple but can't see any issue? I've drove to France with 400kg of people and gear in tow flooring it hard most of the way so you can imagine the ride height for them miles looked great! :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Williams View Post
Hi Daz, ok cheers so where are people with it do you know, has anyone you know of actually done this? All it needs is 15-20mm which won't have an effect, if it does swop it back simple but can't see any issue? I've drove to France with 400kg of people and gear in tow flooring it hard most of the way so you can imagine the ride height for them miles looked great! :-)

I don't think it's due to it not having an effect more a case of if you do it and break something serious then BMW may not cover it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
Happy Williams
Private
Rep

Change it back quick quick lol
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
Happy Williams
Private
Rep

Guys, I've done a bit of digging today on the suspension, I've spoken to a couple of manufacturers and it seems there is no problem with doing it at all! You can choose from 15mm drop up to about 35mm, I'm going to look at a demo car Wednesday so I'd anyone wants any further info give me a shout :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Guys, I've done a bit of digging today on the suspension, I've spoken to a couple of manufacturers and it seems there is no problem with doing it at all! You can choose from 15mm drop up to about 35mm, I'm going to look at a demo car Wednesday so I'd anyone wants any further info give me a shout :-)
Interesting... who did you speak to? The only company I've seen selling the lowering springs so far in UK for my car is AC Schnitzer. They're reasonably priced too I guess.

Will you just look or will you get a test drive to feel any difference in ride or handling?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Photos please
I spoke to ACS but their springs lower a 335d a lot! I'd be interested to know your thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
This same thing was mentioned on a similar post the other week.
Of course non-BMW manufacturers are going to say its fine to change the springs - they are trying to sell them, but will they pay out if it causes problems to the xdrive a few miles down the road? Probably not.

I dont think BMW will recommend it - for whatever reason. Until BMW endorse the changing of springs on xdrives, I think I'm going to stay well away.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

But there again BMW dont recommend swapping to non-run flats, but that didnt put me off swapping with my last car.
But I think there must be a reason why these springs are fitted to the xdrive models.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
This same thing was mentioned on a similar post the other week.
Of course non-BMW manufacturers are going to say its fine to change the springs - they are trying to sell them, but will they pay out if it causes problems to the xdrive a few miles down the road? Probably not.

I dont think BMW will recommend it - for whatever reason. Until BMW endorse the changing of springs on xdrives, I think I'm going to stay well away.

The concern I would have is would an insurance company pay out.

Also who ever gets it done will need to look closely at the technology used.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #12
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

I honestly can't believe the likes of kW or H&R would launch lowering springs that compromised the mechanics of the car. The impact on their reputation would be significant and they will undoubtedly make sure they test any potential consequences of fitting change springs as part of their development process.

I don't think you'll ever see bmw endorse any aftermarket changes to be honest - non-run-flats are a case in point.

Last edited by Cootie; 03-04-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:51 AM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
I honestly can believe the likes of kW or HR would launch lowering springs that compromised the mechanics of the car. The impact on their reputation would be significant and they will undoubtedly make sure they test any potential consequences of fitting change springs as part of their development process.

I don't think you'll ever see bmw endorse any aftermarket changes to be honest - non-run-flats are a case in point.
They are not likely to cause a catastrophic failure, more like increased wear rates, poor fuel consumption, etc. so they have a get out.....YOU wanted to modify it, YOU accept the compromise..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:49 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
They are not likely to cause a catastrophic failure, more like increased wear rates, poor fuel consumption, etc. so they have a get out.....YOU wanted to modify it, YOU accept the compromise..
Plus BMW are more inclined to use the get out clauses these days if they can.

I suppose it also depends how we evaluate risk. Say we get a knocking front suspension or driveshaft vibration, a whine from the transfer case, are we prepared to foot the cost of fixing it even during the warranty period, if BMW play the 'modified car' card.

Burden of proof is much harder with any modifications. Clearly a lowered spring on an xDrive car could be the cause, (BMW don't offer a OEM option), plus the small print is pretty clear on user modifications and warranties.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #15
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

Be thankful we're not talking about Porsche warranties for 'get out clauses': fit wiper blades yourself and your warranty is gone. (Note this is extended warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:48 AM   #16
doomsday runner
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp & 335d M Sport

I can't really complain about Sandal BMW Wakefield. My car goes back next Tuesday (not to them) It was in for a major service last week, they noticed my 19'' M performance alloys were corroded slightly at the centre caps (all 4 wheels). The car is 2 and a half years old with 90k on the clock. They are changing all 4 wheels under warranty, they know the car goes back and I get my new one in a week too!
      03-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

@HighlandPete I'm sure you mentioned in another thread that the higher suspension may contribute to better traction for the xdrive? Or was that a thicker ARB? (cant remember now!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Be thankful we're not talking about Porsche warranties for 'get out clauses': fit wiper blades yourself and your warranty is gone. (Note this is extended warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty)
That's just bonkers.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday runner View Post
I can't really complain about Sandal BMW Wakefield. My car goes back next Tuesday (not to them) It was in for a major service last week, they noticed my 19'' M performance alloys were corroded slightly at the centre caps (all 4 wheels). The car is 2 and a half years old with 90k on the clock. They are changing all 4 wheels under warranty, they know the car goes back and I get my new one in a week too!
That looks like someone is making sure they don't have added prep' costs for selling on the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #19
doomsday runner
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp & 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That looks like someone is making sure they don't have added prep' costs for selling on the car.

HighlandPete

They are not getting the car back, it will be sold on by my company!
      03-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
@HighlandPete I'm sure you mentioned in another thread that the higher suspension may contribute to better traction for the xdrive? Or was that a thicker ARB? (cant remember now!)
Yes, I am minded that BMW will have set the suspension to get the best from the xDrive capability. Likely a 'best' set of compromises to suit the bigger market, knowing many will want a bit of snow clearance and rough road use.

What we don't know is what a simple suspension change, springs or ARBs will do to the xDrive balance. BMW clearly state in xDrive data that weight transfer is part of the control strategy. How a lower/stiffer spring or stiffer set of ARBs would change the finer response of front to rear drive ratio, can not be known without BMW development test data or trial and error.

Whether BMW will ever offer a performance based xDrive option, we have to wait and see.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #21
bandit2014
Rep
Drives: F30 - 328i M Sport

I was going to get an x drive until I read that it was not lowered and did not come with the M Sport suspension.

I'm guessing this was done due to good reason, hence I changed my whole speck and got a 328i RWD M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #22
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

But RWD will kill you - did no-one watch top gear last weekend? ;-)
(Incidentally, I went for the 330D as the 335d was x-drive only. And a lot cheaper )
Appreciate 0