F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My 335i Exhaust Screeching: Video
GetBMWParts

12-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
I did confirm this. If your screeching is the same as mine, just unplug the actuator. There are several ways to do the golf tee mod on this car: (1) Unplugging the actuator (2) Removing the clip for the flap and securing the flap (3) Combination of both.

As long as the actuator is not turning, you won't get the screech. If it's really driving you nuts, then just try it. It's easy. You don't have to jack up the car or anything.

Now if you're screech is coming from the downpipe like that other guy, then I don't know.
The service guy said that unplugging the actuator wire would through a code ? does it?
      12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puri1 View Post
The service guy said that unplugging the actuator wire would through a code ? does it?
It might. I checked with a regular OBD reader and no error code showed up. But I'm sure BMW service has more detailed diagnostic tools.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Quote:
I did confirm this. If your screeching is the same as mine, just unplug the actuator. There are several ways to do the golf tee mod on this car: (1) Unplugging the actuator (2) Removing the clip for the flap and securing the flap (3) Combination of both.

As long as the actuator is not turning, you won't get the screech. If it's really driving you nuts, then just try it. It's easy. You don't have to jack up the car or anything.

Now if you're screech is coming from the downpipe like that other guy, then I don't know.
Thank you. My noise is exactly like yours in that video above. I will try and mod. Worst case I can put the pin back in.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
awm335i
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
That may be your opinion, but I know for a FACT on my car, it was not the metal flap. It was the actuator that turns the metal flap. The metal flap can not make that noise. It's a very loose metal flap that is incapable of making that specific noise. Even if it was the metal flap that was making the noise, the golf tee mod would make it go away because you're preventing it from turning.
i totally agree with you , the sound is from the actuator turning the flap open/close ... the t-mod only holds the flap but the actuator will keep turning and this is the cause of the sound imo ...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm335i View Post
i totally agree with you , the sound is from the actuator turning the flap open/close ... the t-mod only holds the flap but the actuator will keep turning and this is the cause of the sound imo ...
It's true that if you leave the actuator plugged in, it will continue to turn every time it wants to engage/disengage. So if you unplug it (which is the original golf tee method), you won't have the issue. Of course, I'm not sure if it will leave a error in the code though. When I tested it with my friend's OBD reader, it did not show an error. However, I believe BMW service will have a more thorough diagnostic tool.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Quote:

can you please post pics how you did it?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
Roki_014
Major
Rep

did anyone fix this without unpluging the actuator or the golf tee mod??? tnx
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #30
chugster
B0$$
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puri1 View Post
i accidently had my unplugged for awhile and nothing went off.. but while having it off i didn't notice anything different..

2016 CWP STi FBO E85
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #31
Roki_014
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugster View Post
i accidently had my unplugged for awhile and nothing went off.. but while having it off i didn't notice anything different..
the sound is so annoying especially in traffic where you go like 5-15 mph u here it every 10 sec, i honestly don't know what to do, service guy said they cleaned it but to me it looks like they didn't do anythigng
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
the sound is so annoying especially in traffic where you go like 5-15 mph u here it every 10 sec, i honestly don't know what to do, service guy said they cleaned it but to me it looks like they didn't do anythigng
Okay, you seem really desperate so I'll chime in. Cleaning the flap has absolutely NOTHING to do with the noise. The noise is the sound of the actuator motor turning; not the exhaust flap.

In your case, if you want the screech sound gone right away, just unplug the actuator. There is no code that is thrown. My screech sound went away on it's own after a few months but I unplugged the actuator motor anyways. I have been running with the unplugged actuator for months now. I checked the car with an OBD reader and no errors or codes showed up; but I'm sure the dealer has more detailed diagnostic tools than the OBD I used.

If you absolutely want the dealer to fix the problem, just video tape it and show them. Tell them it's the actuator motor; not the actual flap.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #33
dboucher30
Germany
Rep
Drives: E46 328i / F30 335i Sport

My 335i made the same noise everytime i started my car. I took it to the dealer and they dismissed it as normal. I went back and told them it's not normal because my other bmw has the same flap which is very silent and can only be heard if I'm in a garage (supposed to sound like a zipper). The F30 exhaust flap was very loud when compared to my E46's flap. They replaced it with a new exhaust under warranty. Now the screeching sound is gone.

Don't let them BS you like they tried to BS me. Have them fix the issue. It's embarrasing when people are around.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #34
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDRIVE Sedan

Quote:
Here's a crappy video of the screeching sound my exhaust makes randomly. The only consistency is that is screeches every time the engine turns on. Then it will make the sound randomly as I accelerate, slow down, etc.

Any one have an inkling of what this problem might be?

i have the same EXACT problem.. went yesterday with the issue.. spent 3-4 hours at dealer. they turned me away and said "it's normal" which is complete bs. i got underneath the car just to look and take video.. didnt touch anything.. looks like the actuator that turns the flap is scraping somewhere.. im going back next week and they better fix it.. i wrote nice long letter to bmw north america. i suggest you do the same thing to make them fully aware of this issue as bmw needs to correct this. it is UNACCEPTABLE. our 50-60k car sounds like a piece of junk... i went to bmw of bayside in nyc queens. we should get together with this problem,..

Last edited by BMWBUSINESS007; 03-10-2013 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #35
Roki_014
Major
Rep

i am going in on Monday , i ll let you guys know
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #36
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep

They gave me a fully loaded 2013 535 xi. They're replacing the exhaust. Should have it back by end of week. Has given me time to enjoy the 535 loaner
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #37
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014
i am going in on Monday , i ll let you guys know
I got my car back with a new exhaust and rear silencer supposedly. It looks new. Invoice says it's new and was ordered from BMW North America. Foreman tested before had issue. With new exhaust he didn't hear anything which is BS. SAME issue still evident. I will be calling BMW corporate on Monday. Tired of this
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
ƒ°
Rep

Okay guys, I'm gonna make it really clear.

It is NOT the exhaust. It is the actuator that turns the flap.

The flap is separate from the exhaust. It is attached to the exhaust with 3 small bolts.

Last edited by ƒ°; 03-23-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #39
Roki_014
Major
Rep

Quote:

The flap is separate from the exhaust. It is attached to the exhaust with 3 small bolts.
I am going in on monday at 7 so i will tell em
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #40
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Mine just started doing this today. Oddly enough first time I noticed it was right after i installed the Stage 1 JB4, but I dont see how it could be more than just a coincidence.

I also just got it back from the dealer for my first service and I swore my exhaust was louder than before but I just dismissed it me paying more attention after having a 328 for a day.

Too many variables to pinpoint why the actuator could have all of a sudden started making this noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #41
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Mine just started doing this today. Oddly enough first time I noticed it was right after i installed the Stage 1 JB4, but I dont see how it could be more than just a coincidence.

I also just got it back from the dealer for my first service and I swore my exhaust was louder than before but I just dismissed it me paying more attention after having a 328 for a day.

Too many variables to pinpoint why the actuator could have all of a sudden started making this noise.
When my car was delivered, it was quiet -- in fact it was so quiet, I didn't even know that there was a flap. After a few months, it started screeching suddenly. So in your case, it is probably a coincident that the screeching started at the same time you installed the JB4. But if I were you, I'd probably remove the JB4 before going to the dealer to complain about the screeching; they'll look for any convenient reason to dodge responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
When my car was delivered, it was quiet -- in fact it was so quiet, I didn't even know that there was a flap. After a few months, it started screeching suddenly. So in your case, it is probably a coincident that the screeching started at the same time you installed the JB4. But if I were you, I'd probably remove the JB4 before going to the dealer to complain about the screeching; they'll look for any convenient reason to dodge responsibility.
Most definitely would remove it. I just unplugged it (the actuator) for now. Just got back from the dealer. Next time I go in, I'll plug it back, take off the JB4, and get them to do something about the squeal.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #43
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number

I do know it's the actuator I told the idiots to change the actuator not the exhaust. I swear sometimes I should be a mechanic because they can't do their jobs. Ill just have to call BMW n and complain again. I'm tired of going back and forth to the dealer. On the other hand. How do I unplug the actuator and if I do this... Do I lose any power ? Does exhaust remain closed or open?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #44
Sapper1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Msport

Garage List
2013 BMW M Sport  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wow, I am new to BMW, I had an issue similar to this with a 2010 Camaro SS, turned out to be a baffle in the one muffler. I hope this issue can be identified. I would not allow a dealer to pass a nasty sound like that off as normal.