F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Problem with key not being recognised
Studio RSR

03-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
MP423
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: it like its a rental

Problem with key not being recognised

I had a problem when on holidays at the beach at Christmas. I had left my car parked in the lock up garage at the apartment and not really driven it for a couple of weeks whilst we trucked the kids around in the family car. The day before we were leaving I went to drive it and the key wouldn't recognise and I got the message to hold it up to the symbol on the steering column. Even that wouldn't recognise it. So after much persistence and vile language I got it going. Then it did it again at the next destination a couple of hours later. Same processes...persistence and foul language. Next day it worked fine and we made it home. I thought that it may have been a battery issue, car or key, and it just ended a highway drive which it got going home from holidays. Then once home and back in the daily commute, not a problem. I knew it was no point taking it to the stealers because unless it's happening when you take it in you just get some dipshit saying, "yeah looks ok to me".

So last week I go to a Eddie Vedder concert where I work and it happens again in my private underground car park. So I was thinking maybe it's a underground car park issue. My wife said "do you want me to get out and you can lock it and start the process again?" I thought it was worth a try so she got out and sure enough it started.

So what I think I've discovered is that both times it's happened I've had her car key inside the car and the car is getting confused trying to read both keys. When she got out she took her keys with her. When we were on holidays I had her keys with me in the car and the next day I didn't.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same or similar?
      03-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328

Having another key fob in the car should not make any difference I would have thought? The only time the fob number or id is interpreted is when one of the transmitt keys is pushed on the fob, or in the case of a low fob battery, when it is placed near the proximity sensor on the steering column.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

This happens to me at least once a week with only one key in the car so two keys is no issue for me. To be honest I am pretty sick of BMW Australia. Anything that service people can't replicate or show up in a computer scan didn't happen don't you know? Lol
      03-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
MP423
Private
Australia
Rep

Sorry should've explained clearer, the wifes key I'm referring to is the Land Rover key, not the spare BMW key.

That's why I don't think it's a coincidence that the only two times I've had that key in the car is the only two times I've had the issue.

If it happens again without the key I'll report back.
      03-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Uri
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Sportline JB4 Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP423 View Post
Sorry should've explained clearer, the wifes key I'm referring to is the Land Rover key, not the spare BMW key.

That's why I don't think it's a coincidence that the only two times I've had that key in the car is the only two times I've had the issue.

FYI, I have both a Land Rover key fob (2013 Disco) and the BMW one on my set and I've never encountered any problems
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
MP423
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP423 View Post

FYI, I have both a Land Rover key fob (2013 Disco) and the BMW one on my set and I've never encountered any problems
Thanks for feedback. Ours is LR Defender with separate remote to actual key. Not sure of that's different to Disco setup?