F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Intro: Just traded the Evo in for my first BMW
GetBMWParts

09-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
BravoX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport Line

Intro: Just traded the Evo in for my first BMW

Hi everyone,

As the title says, I just traded in my 2008 Evo X for a new F30 328i. I found a 2012 that was configured pretty close to my exact wish list and just picked it up yesterday.
-Sport Line
-Auto
-Premium pkg
-Tech pkg, Apps etc
-Heated seats
-Jet black, black int
It's been less than 24 hours, but loving the new ride so far. It is a perfect balance for me in terms of performance, luxury and comfort.

Looking forward to using the forum to learn more about the car, and exchanging information, ideas, etc.

-Keith
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Welcome here and congrats, though an EVO X is something more special than almost any BMW imo.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

double post sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
BravoX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Welcome here and congrats, though an EVO X is something more special than almost any BMW imo.

Cheers
Robin
Thanks for the welcome. It was a difficult decision, letting go of the Evo It is an incredible car in many ways. But it was not always an easy car to live with as a daily driver.

Perceptions can be funny... I am in Europe for work almost 50% of the time. And started to fall in love with German engineering after renting, VW's, BMW's and MB's through Germany, Belgium and NL. I noticed you are from the Netherlands, and BMWs tend to be very common, while I have seen only 4-5 Evo's in all of my travels to the EU. I am not taking anything away from the Evo, but perhaps "special" is in the eye of the beholder.

I will certainly miss the raw performance of the Evo. But personally was getting a bit too old for the big wing on the back, and teeth chattering ride on rough roads. I think the F30 will be a much better balanced daily driver for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoX View Post
Hi everyone,

As the title says, I just traded in my 2008 Evo X for a new F30 328i. I found a 2012 that was configured pretty close to my exact wish list and just picked it up yesterday.
-Sport Line
-Auto
-Premium pkg
-Tech pkg, Apps etc
-Heated seats
-Jet black, black int
It's been less than 24 hours, but loving the new ride so far. It is a perfect balance for me in terms of performance, luxury and comfort.

Looking forward to using the forum to learn more about the car, and exchanging information, ideas, etc.

-Keith
Any comments on what it does better than or worse than the Evo?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Welcome to the BMW world! Be sure to join the BMW CCA straight off!!!

I too traded my evo X, although mine was a 2010 GSR. While the Evo was a great car on the track (none better IMHO), it was not a great car to live with. From the awful gas mileage and small tank, to the crappy shifter, to the lack of noise insulation, to the cheap plastics that rattled like a Ford Pinto, the Evo was not a great DD.

You will enjoy the 328i a lot! The low end torque and overall flexibility, plus the solid build quality make living withe BMW a joy. Plus not having to deal with paying for maintenance is a huge plus as the Evo is VERY expensive to keep on the road. Also you will find that everything on the BMW is over-engineered and very sturdy.

Welcome and enjoy! I wish you many miles of healthy BMW ownership!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
lukster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: like a granny

Welcome! I used to be a member of EvoM and norcalevo with an evo 8. Then I got married. Got a clk500. Didn't like the way it handled but it was definetely better at desert highway speeds. Now with a kid, i got a little practical and the f30 is a great compromise. We all get old but definetely missing the raw power, grip and the noise of the evo. IMHO that was the ultimate driving machine. Seats were second to none.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
BravoX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Welcome to the BMW world! Be sure to join the BMW CCA straight off!!!

I too traded my evo X, although mine was a 2010 GSR. While the Evo was a great car on the track (none better IMHO), it was not a great car to live with. From the awful gas mileage and small tank, to the crappy shifter, to the lack of noise insulation, to the cheap plastics that rattled like a Ford Pinto, the Evo was not a great DD.

You will enjoy the 328i a lot! The low end torque and overall flexibility, plus the solid build quality make living withe BMW a joy. Plus not having to deal with paying for maintenance is a huge plus as the Evo is VERY expensive to keep on the road. Also you will find that everything on the BMW is over-engineered and very sturdy.

Welcome and enjoy! I wish you many miles of healthy BMW ownership!
Thanks Moco... That is a great summary as to why the Evo can become a drag as a DD. I will check out BMW CCA.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Vossen wheels
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55

Welcome man, Evos are great! congrats on the trade, what are you're future plans for the 3?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
BravoX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossen wheels View Post
Welcome man, Evos are great! congrats on the trade, what are you're future plans for the 3?
Thanks!

As of now, my only plan is to enjoy the 3 bone stock. I may be tempted to tune the ECU some time down the road, but do not want to sacrifice warranty or reliability.

BTW, the Evo was stock except for the Cobb AP and drop in high-flow air filter.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
JoNaH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

I had a 400hp EVO 9 MR, and that was the best handling car I've driven to date, I'll take it over any M3 or BMW if all I wanted was handling and speed, but that's where it ends!! You get bad interior, horrible gas mileage, horrible rough ride, very noisy and no options what so ever. Not a DD at all. The BMW combined everything, not as aggressive as the EVO but nothing is perfect, but the BMW definitely makes up for it in other ways. Congrats on your purchase man!! Hope you enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
johnsonlwu
Private
Rep
Drives: F30328i x 2 (yes, 2)

Garage List
2020 bmw 840i  [0.00]
I beat Bravo X to it...That was August 22nd. Evo X MR is now at mountain view BMW. Ironically my brand new MSport is also there for a steering wheel shimmer issue.
Loved my Evo X MR but can't deal with wife complaining about style and extremely terrible gas mileage coupled with small tank.
The way the Evo warms up after a cold start is ridiculous. Despite all sorts of Cobb tuning maps I could not get it to go higher than 8-9MPG for the first 5 minutes of driving.
The MR SST tranny is wonderful and something I miss. With MR trim level Bilstein shocks the ride was not bad at all, even better than my E90 Sports pkg before it had the PSS10s swapped in.
The handling beats both my E90 with PSS10s and this new F30 M-sport.
I dont have the wing cos mine's an MR, but still it attracts too much unwelcomed attention.
I had every option there is, heated seats, Nav, Recaro leather, moonroof, heck even the original backup camera!
My attempt to create a "near luxury" sports car out of this beast obviously resulted in very limited success if not a failure.
NO problems with reliability at all. Cheap to service too.
I only had Perrin Sways Swift springs, no coffee can mufflers or mushroom intakes... too old for that.
Torsionaly rigidity of the frame was not good compared with BMWs of course. Squeaks as the car goes into driveways up a gradient. Whole car resonates as it gets over 90.
I didnt expect it to be a luxury car anyway but the killer was the gas mileage and tank capacity.... 175 mail range is ridiculously impractical.
Otherwise 'twas the best (most fun, highest performing, most reliable) car I have ever owned. And I now am ony 6th BMW since 1995, no regrets with the trade in.

Last edited by johnsonlwu; 09-02-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Sold my Evo for a 135 in 08 and now have a f30. BMW's are great cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
elev8
Rep
Drives: EVO , 911

I also have an EXO X (08). It's been a wonderfully reliable car for 4 years and I'd recommend one to anyone without hesitation as long at the are okay with the relative harshness of the ride for daily driving. I'm thinking of getting an F30 (not sure 328 or 335 given the minor cost difference, and perhaps touring with another kid on the way). On comparisons I'd say the EVO steering is more direct with more feedback than electronically assisted BMWs I've driven. Surprisingly, the EVO to me stock for stock does not feel that much faster in daily driving (could be good low end torque of N20 and transmission in sport keeping it on boil). I'm fortunate that if I get the BMW I will be able to keep the EVO and I feel it's one of those cars that if I sell 10 or 20 years later I'll wish that I had kept it. The worst thing about the GSR is the 5 speed which , contrary to reputation is not the robustness of it, but the short gearing leaving you at 3.5K rpm at 75 on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 328, e36 m3

Got rid of my Evo 9 for the 328. As everyone said, the Evo just isn't a good daily, but blows almost anything out of the water in terms of performance (bang for the buck wise).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #16
BravoX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehungevo View Post
Sold my Evo for a 135 in 08 and now have a f30. BMW's are great cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlegoose View Post
Got rid of my Evo 9 for the 328. As everyone said, the Evo just isn't a good daily, but blows almost anything out of the water in terms of performance (bang for the buck wise).
This is very cool guys... had no idea that I would run into so many former (and a few current) Evo owners on this forum... Appears that I am in good company.

The X always treated me well, so was afraid of having regrets. But after a spirited cruise yesterday on some twisty back roads, I think I am going to be just fine. The F30 is a blast to drive hard. I could even hear the BOV ...so much for the break in period
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
Flavio77
Private
Rep
Drives: 1998 Range Rover 4.6

About to buy my first real new car here and was a as close as you could get to putting cash in the hand of the Mitsubishi dealer for a 12 evo x mr until i drove by the bmw dealership one day and saw the new 3 and fell in love...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I had an evo ix mr with 425/411 to the wheels (and too much money spent on it) and yes I don't think that i'd ever get back into another car with that sheer raw performance in power and handling. that being said: it was a horrible DD although fun sometimes I just wanted cushy. After my acl injury to my left knee, using the 1000lb clutch was just not cutting it. iwas an active member on socalevo and an occasional evom guy. I even rolled up at this year's MOD with my f30 to hand over my pinkslip to another member.

I've picked up the f30 slowmobile 328i and it has been fun. I miss being able to mash on the gas and pass anyone and sometimes I forget that I can't and try lol. But, I have been to the canyons and will be going to california speedway on Oct 1 (see you there moco). The car turns a lot better than the evo in my opinion and the ride is so much more comfortable. I don't even have the sportline and I would say that it does its job quite well. I especially love the rebound - it catches the rebound just fine without any excessive jump or wobble wobble as I suspected it would. Surprisingly it does not ride like a boat neither so far. I will see how it does on the track.

Welcome, glad to see lot of former evo drivers converting.

....evox over M3?! that is just absurd. an evo ix isn't even close to an m3. (yep, evo ix guy bashing on evo X's - what else is new) lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
johnsonlwu
Private
Rep
Drives: F30328i x 2 (yes, 2)

Garage List
2020 bmw 840i  [0.00]
pkim1079 I anxiously await your reports on putting mods into the F30
In my opinion my MSport doesnt turn nearly as good as my ex-EVO X MR, and I actually missed the ride of the Bilsteins. But the Evo had such a lousy turning radius that makes U turns in residential streets impossible and an embarassment ( I was actually honked at a few times ).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #20
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonlwu View Post
In my opinion my MSport doesnt turn nearly as good as my ex-EVO X MR,
imo I really feel that is has better turn in and understeer would not be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonlwu View Post
But the Evo had such a lousy turning radius that makes U turns in residential streets impossible and an embarassment ( I was actually honked at a few times ).
yep. no such thing as uturns...its always a three point turn. LOL

I am wavering whether or not to mod this car. to me I only got it to have some perf with a lot of comfort. I don't know if its worth upgrading suspension, getting a tune, etc. I'm just waiting on the M3/4 or hopefully the M2 to come out. May possibly just get an e92 once the f80 comes out and just mod it when it gets (relatively) cheaper.

Then I would get a prius or a leaf as a DD.....haha
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

IMHO the 328i will be fun on the track too, just nowhere near as fast. But the electronics in the Evo caused average drivers to seem like geniuses behind the wheel so it was easier to go fast. You will have to work for it in the 328i which will ultimately make you a better driver. Then you get into an Evo and go really fast!

In fact my Evo totally ruined me as a driver. A couple of months ago I got into a friend's e36 race car and almost couldn't drive it. Eventually I remembered that it was all up to me and got sorted out. But it was dicey at first...All because the AWD and ACD and all of the electronics in the Evo made the car behave perfectly all the time.

One reason the 328i would turn-in better than the Evo is because the mass of the 328i is all between the axles (one reason I bought a 328i vs 335i). With the Evo both the engine and transmission were in front of the front axle. Centering the mass will always make a car turn better.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #22
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
Cool car, and quick. But theyre everywhere here in the states. I dont see how it is more special then an M3 or 1M coupe, but thats just my opinion. Not many people I see own evos that are over 25 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoX View Post
Thanks for the welcome. It was a difficult decision, letting go of the Evo It is an incredible car in many ways. But it was not always an easy car to live with as a daily driver.

Perceptions can be funny... I am in Europe for work almost 50% of the time. And started to fall in love with German engineering after renting, VW's, BMW's and MB's through Germany, Belgium and NL. I noticed you are from the Netherlands, and BMWs tend to be very common, while I have seen only 4-5 Evo's in all of my travels to the EU. I am not taking anything away from the Evo, but perhaps "special" is in the eye of the beholder.

I will certainly miss the raw performance of the Evo. But personally was getting a bit too old for the big wing on the back, and teeth chattering ride on rough roads. I think the F30 will be a much better balanced daily driver for me.
I think you made a good move. Not knocking the evo but the new F30 is just really attractive. Plus the 335i is pretty quick and you get luxury and comfort wich the evo lacked.