F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2013 335XI M-Performance/Exhaust Question
Extreme Powerhouse

08-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 (2013 335XI) & F48 (2016)

Question 2013 335XI M-Performance/Exhaust Question

I test drove a 2013 BMW 335i X-DRIVE a few weeks back; it was well 'broken in', having around 55,000km on it, and the owner of the car told me that he had gotten the PREMIUM and M-PERFORMANCE packages. The exhaust had the metallic (not chrome) tips on it with the "M" symbol, the car had a black rear diffuser, and the car had the M-wheels, M steering wheel, etc.

2 weeks ago, I found a different 2013 335i X-DRIVE, which had a little more mileage than the first one, and had what I thought were the same packages as the first one I had driven. I moved forward with the deal on this one because of the amazing color combination (Alpine White with Coral Red interior), but I found it was 'quieter' than the one I had driven a few weeks earlier. The previous owner of this car told me that he had 'upgraded' the exhaust to the 'M' exhaust at a garage AFTER purchasing the car; he gave me the original exhaust that the car had come with (in case I needed it for some reason in the future, since he had no use for it). My car also has the side skirt that says "M PERFORMANCE" on it?

What I'm trying to figure out is why my 2013 335XI, which had what should be the same exhaust as the other one I drove, is much quieter and less 'aggressive' sounding than one that comes factory installed with seemingly the same exhaust.

What else does the M-performance pack come with, specifically exhaust-sound related? Is there something that I'm missing, because the first owner of my car got the M sport line, but not the M performance package (even though I have the black side skirts with "M PERFORMANCE" across them, and even the "M" symbol on the trunk)?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by int
I test drove a 2013 BMW 335i X-DRIVE a few weeks back; it was well 'broken in', having around 55,000km on it, and the owner of the car told me that he had gotten the PREMIUM and M-PERFORMANCE packages. The exhaust had the metallic (not chrome) tips on it with the "M" symbol, the car had a black rear diffuser, and the car had the M-wheels, M steering wheel, etc.

2 weeks ago, I found a different 2013 335i X-DRIVE, which had a little more mileage than the first one, and had what I thought were the same packages as the first one I had driven. I moved forward with the deal on this one because of the amazing color combination (Alpine White with Coral Red interior), but I found it was 'quieter' than the one I had driven a few weeks earlier. The previous owner of this car told me that he had 'upgraded' the exhaust to the 'M' exhaust at a garage AFTER purchasing the car; he gave me the original exhaust that the car had come with (in case I needed it for some reason in the future, since he had no use for it). My car also has the side skirt that says "M PERFORMANCE" on it?

What I'm trying to figure out is why my 2013 335XI, which had what should be the same exhaust as the other one I drove, is much quieter and less 'aggressive' sounding than one that comes factory installed with seemingly the same exhaust.

What else does the M-performance pack come with, specifically exhaust-sound related? Is there something that I'm missing, because the first owner of my car got the M sport line, but not the M performance package (even though I have the black side skirts with "M PERFORMANCE" across them, and even the "M" symbol on the trunk)?
its the m performance exhaust, it replaces the stock exhaust. it can be added after purchase or come delivered with it
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercar View Post
its the m performance exhaust, it replaces the stock exhaust. it can be added after purchase or come delivered with it
I know mine was a long read (and my apologies for that), but please see extract of my original message, below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by int View Post
The previous owner of this car told me that he had 'upgraded' the exhaust to the 'M' exhaust at a garage AFTER purchasing the car; he gave me the original exhaust that the car had come with (in case I needed it for some reason in the future, since he had no use for it).
Basically, I have the "M performance exhaust" on my car, yet it still sounds far quieter than the other car I had driven. The question is 'why'?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know mine was a long read (and my apologies for that), but please see extract of my original message, below:

Basically, I have the "M performance exhaust" on my car, yet it still sounds far quieter than the other car I had driven. The question is 'why'?
So you purchased the second car, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep

some thoughts on possibilities, I don't know if anyone else have ideas on this...

1) any of either cars have the MPPK tune on it?

2) were both cars driven in sport mode to compare exhaust sound?

3) any more modifications on the car? downpipe or another tune on car?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I recall reading a thread on here about there being two versions of the MPE. They were for different markets, but both were showing up in the U.S. One was louder than the other. Or it could be there was some other difference between the two cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:08 AM   #7
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So you purchased the second car, right?
Yes

Quote:
some thoughts on possibilities, I don't know if anyone else have ideas on this...

1) any of either cars have the MPPK tune on it?

2) were both cars driven in sport mode to compare exhaust sound?

3) any more modifications on the car? downpipe or another tune on car?
^^ that's what I was looking for, thanks!

1- Maybe -- this is the kind of thing I want to consider...
2- Yes, both were definitely driven in sport mode to compare the exhaust sound
3- Not as far as I know, but I'm trying to figure out what kind of mods would have resulted in the deeper, more aggressive sounding exhaust on hard acceleration

My impression was that the first car I drove was 'stock' from BMW with the M-performance pack -- whereas mine doesn't seem to have come with the M-performance pack, and the previous owner tried to mimic this by changing the exhaust. My question is therefore basically: 'what else does the m-performance pack provide' which simply changing the exhaust wouldn't give you?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:14 AM   #8
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes

^^ that's what I was looking for, thanks!

1- Maybe -- this is the kind of thing I want to consider...
2- Yes, both were definitely driven in sport mode to compare the exhaust sound
3- Not as far as I know, but I'm trying to figure out what kind of mods would have resulted in the deeper, more aggressive sounding exhaust on hard acceleration

My impression was that the first car I drove was 'stock' from BMW with the M-performance pack -- whereas mine doesn't seem to have come with the M-performance pack, and the previous owner tried to mimic this by changing the exhaust. My question is therefore basically: 'what else does the m-performance pack provide' which simply changing the exhaust wouldn't give you?
MPPK will increase HP and torque, which will have some effect on the exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I actually have a 'teaser' video of the car that I had test driven (the one with the M-performance pack) which shows the sound the exhaust made. I can provide the link via PM if someone who knows their F30 exhausts wants to view/listen and comment on what mods the car may have had =)

(The video shows that car's license plate, so for the sake of the privacy of that car's owner, would rather not post it publicly)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep

MPE=sound good
MPPK+MPE=sound better

see:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=836866
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #11
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
The first car you drove likely had the "340" (part number ending in) mpe. This is the "US" version. The car you bought likely has the "339" or "euro" version installed.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=978407
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Why don't you just get a downpipe... or cut the resonator... will sound alot more aggressive after that
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #13
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Downpipe/resonator aren't legal, correct? I already worry enough passing by cops because of my tints being too dark for where I live -- want the aggressive sound but want to conform to the (dumb) laws of the province I live in!

After much research, I can confirm that it's not the 339/340 version difference of the MPE -- I live in Canada, where I think the 340 is stock/standard. The difference was the MPPK -- I popped the hood on my car today and, having seen the plastic engine cover piece (?) which doesn't say "M PERFORMANCE" across it, I can confirm that, despite the "M PERFORMANCE" black rocker panels on the sides of the car, the car did NOT come with the M performance pack on it. The one I test drove definitely did -- and I think it was more the 'gurgle' that I was hearing while test driving that one which had me all excited.

I just got back from a long drive, carefully listening to the exhaust sound. I absolutely love the car -- I just think I will love it more next summer when I invest in the MPPK (even if it's just for the balance of the lease)

Appreciate the input guys!
Appreciate 0