F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > 435i Full LED
ARMA SPEED

12-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #45
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazza
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Just arrived from Japan
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Where did you buy?
I tried through Rakuten, but was told that only sold to Japan

Waiting for impressions.... and pics
Bought through a proxy service whiterabbitexpress in Japan. Front and back are both Amazon Prime in Japan.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #46
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I rushed to install them and my front map looks great I'll take pics later when it's darker. And I actually broke clips on the housing for the rear dome light because I'd never done it before. I'm gonna have to replace the housing eventually but am just gonna Velcro it up inside for now I think. I'll post some pics later. Also I think I need a translator to help me figure out the different settings involved with these lights. Blue color for instance.

Install was a bit strange but not difficult. Took about 25 mins total.
I'll post pics and more info later when I'm home.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #47
jazza
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 428i

Quote:
I rushed to install them and my front map looks great I'll take pics later when it's darker. And I actually broke clips on the housing for the rear dome light because I'd never done it before. I'm gonna have to replace the housing eventually but am just gonna Velcro it up inside for now I think. I'll post some pics later. Also I think I need a translator to help me figure out the different settings involved with these lights. Blue color for instance.

Install was a bit strange but not difficult. Took about 25 mins total.
I'll post pics and more info later when I'm home.
      12-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #48
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok good, I didn't break anything, but when i removed my rear dome light without knowing where the clips were, the metal clips were both ejected around the car, i found one just now when i was gonna velcro things up. It was very easy to slide the clip back into place on the rear dome light and click it back into the roof housing properly, now everything fits perfectly.
It's still far too bright by me to get good pictures which show the color, so I'll try tonight.

I also would really appreciate some help with these instructions if anyone speaks Japanese, Google Translate isn't doing a great job for me on this.
Quote:
仕様
LEDルームランプ RF-B(フロント用)/RR-B(リア用)
前後セットです。

●使用シーンに合わせて4段階の調光機能
・コンフォートアクセス機能でのアンロック時には、本機能は動作しませんのでご注意下さい。
・車両側の設定でリービングホーム設定にしていないと本機能は動作しません。
●ブルー・ホワイト点灯パターンを4つのモードから変更可能。
モード1:ホワイト点灯、i3/i8のみアンロック時ブルー点灯
モード2:アンロック時またはアクセサリーOFF時(※)にブルー点灯し、ドアオープンによりホワイト点灯 に変わる
モード3:アンロック時またはアクセサリーOFF時(※)にブルー点灯し、数秒後にホワイト点 灯に変わる
モード4:アンロック時またはアクセサリーOFF時(※)にブルー点灯し、ホワイト点灯には変 わらない/リーディングライト(マップランプ)は使用できません
※エンジン始動中にヘッドライトがオートまたはオンになり、ナビやオーディオのアクセサリー電源がオフの状 態。 ・モード切替方法 : 左右のマップボタンを同時長押しで切替が行えます。
・フロント用(RF-B)とリア用(RR-B)は連動し点灯・消灯・各種設定が行えますが、全てRF-B側での設定が条件となります。
・RR-B(リアルームマップ用)側での、各種設定は行えませんのでご注意下さい。

適合
BMW i8/i3/Fシリーズ用
*パノラマルーフ無し車用
*装着には加工が必要です。必ずディーラー様か専門プロショップ様にて交換作業をお願いします。
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #49
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Album of the new LED boards installed!
Sorry I was too lazy to upload each to the forum, all photos are untouched, direct from my DSLR SD card.
I still don't know how to properly change between the 4 different color setting modes these have still working on that, but I was able to get the blue on for a few pictures.
View post on imgur.com

Some Notes:
  • Ambient lighting Orange/White retained!
  • Worst part of these lights is the factory lens, makes a cheap plasticy blue/purple tint that cuts through the pure white of the LEDs, gonna see if any other models with clear lenses are a direct fit to our housings.
  • Very bright, lights up the car much better than factory LEDs, due to lens color difference the footwells+glovebox appear whiter, but its negligible.
  • Long Dim off, first couple times i tried to turn it off i thought it wasn't responding but i needed to be a little bit more patient and after 2 seconds or so the light slowly dims off after being pressed.
  • Installing the new boards requires breaking several plastic rivets holding the board to the housings.
    The instructions say you need to cut the heads off and then drill tiny pilot holes in the remaining plastic and screw down tiny little 1-2mm screws to fasten the board to the housing.
    I didn't even read this until after i had them installed so I did it my own way.
    I used wire clippers to cut the heads off the plastic rivets, and then after seating the new board on the mounts, I used Bondic a cheap UV plastic "welder" to create new tiny heads for the rivets that secured the board to the housing.
    This was super easy, sorry I didn't take any pictures, the process went way faster than I expected it to, but I'll get a picture of the little rivets I'm talking about tomorrow and post it

End result: Very Happy customer.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #50
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
More notes,
When using the blue modes, the reading lamps are disabled.
I didn't mention it earlier but the modes are synced between the front and rear lights using the factory harness.

Very impressive engineering and design in these products since they custom fabbed the boards I'm very surprised they're not trying to sell to a larger global market.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 01:29 AM   #51
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazza View Post
Where did you buy?
I tried through Rakuten, but was told that only sold to Japan

Waiting for impressions.... and pics
Try a proxy seller, eg. J-Goods these are like middlemen who purchase the product from Rakuten, Amazon on your behalf & forward the package to your location for a small fee.

Whiterabbits fee is a little higher, used J-proxy a few times and the fee is acceptable

----

Look forward to your impressions compared to the stock
      12-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #52
jazza
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
Try a proxy seller, eg. J-Goods these are like middlemen who purchase the product from Rakuten, Amazon on your behalf & forward the package to your location for a small fee.

Whiterabbits fee is a little higher, used J-proxy a few times and the fee is acceptable

----

Very kind of you, but added there is a small problem in my case. I'm in Europe not the USA
      12-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #53
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post

----

Very kind of you, but added there is a small problem in my case. I'm in Europe not the USA
I would assume there are other services that buy in Japan and ship to EU.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #54
jazza
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I would assume there are other services that buy in Japan and ship to EU.
I'll investigate about it!
      12-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #55
jazza
Captain
Rep

Quote:
.....[*]Worst part of these lights is the factory lens, makes a cheap plasticy blue/purple tint that cuts through the pure white of the LEDs, gonna see if any other models with clear lenses are a direct fit to our housings
I forgot to mention this that you say

In this pic it's true that looks blue

but here, it looks absolutely white

12-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #56
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
.....[*]Worst part of these lights is the factory lens, makes a cheap plasticy blue/purple tint that cuts through the pure white of the LEDs, gonna see if any other models with clear lenses are a direct fit to our housings
I forgot to mention this that you say

In this pic it's true that looks blue

but here, it looks absolutely white

It has multiple color settings blue and white are the 2 colors it does
The bluish tinge I was talking about doesn't really show in photos of the white lights.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #57
jazza
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The bluish tinge I was talking about doesn't really show in photos of the white lights.
Well, then that's perfect to me

Anyway I really don't understand how it works
It's always glows blue and when you open the door or after a few seconds the light turns white?

In the description of the Rakuten website this is what you can read

● Depending on scenes 4 stage dimming function
-Directing the interior space is blue light
-Please note unlockable: comfort access, this feature does not work.
And have not chosen vehicles side by leaving home and this function does not work.
-Change the blue and white pattern from four modes available.
Mode 1: unlock when the blue lights only white lights, i3/i8
Mode 2: blue lights and accessories OFF when (*) or unlock, change to white light door open
Mode 3: blue lights and accessories OFF when (*) or unlock, turn white lights up after a few seconds
Mode 4: blue lights and accessories OFF when (*) or unlock / change to white lights, reading lights (map lamp) is not available
State * engine starting in headlight auto or on and off of the accessory power for audio and navigation system. -Mode switching method: right and left button at the same length can be switched by pressing.
-For front (RF-B) and rear (RR-B) along with on and off and various settings, but would all of the RF-B setting.
-Please note cannot be RR-B (for the real me map) on the various settings.
      12-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #58
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Well, then that's perfect to me

Anyway I really don't understand how it works
It's always glows blue and when you open the door or after a few seconds the light turns white?

In the description of the Rakuten website this is what you can read

● Depending on scenes 4 stage dimming function
-Directing the interior space is blue light
-Please note unlockable: comfort access, this feature does not work.
And have not chosen vehicles side by leaving home and this function does not work.
-Change the blue and white pattern from four modes available.
Mode 1: unlock when the blue lights only white lights, i3/i8
Mode 2: blue lights and accessories OFF when (*) or unlock, change to white light door open
Mode 3: blue lights and accessories OFF when (*) or unlock, turn white lights up after a few seconds
Mode 4: blue lights and accessories OFF when (*) or unlock / change to white lights, reading lights (map lamp) is not available
State * engine starting in headlight auto or on and off of the accessory power for audio and navigation system. -Mode switching method: right and left button at the same length can be switched by pressing.
-For front (RF-B) and rear (RR-B) along with on and off and various settings, but would all of the RF-B setting.
-Please note cannot be RR-B (for the real me map) on the various settings.
As I said in an above post I haven't figured out all the different modes. So far I've kept it on white all the time and only turn on blue to show it off or take pictures. The modes are changed by pressing combos of the reading light buttons. I haven't deciphered the Japanese text well enough to really understand exactly how to switch between modes but so far I've been just holding the outside buttons until the light flashes blue then click once on passenger side reading light to change to always blue. Light will stay blue. To revert, same directions except after holding down the reading lights it will flash white and then you click the drivers side reading light to change to always white.
It seems aside from these 2 modes, all blue or all white, there is also blue when in the car, turns white when door opened. And the other I think means that it its blue and then changes to white after some time without a door opening.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #59
jazza
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As I said in an above post I haven't figured out all the different modes. So far I've kept it on white all the time and only turn on blue to show it off or take pictures. The modes are changed by pressing combos of the reading light buttons. I haven't deciphered the Japanese text well enough to really understand exactly how to switch between modes but so far I've been just holding the outside buttons until the light flashes blue then click once on passenger side reading light to change to always blue. Light will stay blue. To revert, same directions except after holding down the reading lights it will flash white and then you click the drivers side reading light to change to always white.
It seems aside from these 2 modes, all blue or all white, there is also blue when in the car, turns white when door opened. And the other I think means that it its blue and then changes to white after some time without a door opening.
Thanks for all the explanations

Keep us informed if you discover something else
      12-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #60
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the explanations

Keep us informed if you discover something else
Will do! I'll see if I can get any other better photos today and will share what I can. Also I'll post pics for the DIY install.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #61
jazza
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Will do! I'll see if I can get any other better photos today and will share what I can. Also I'll post pics for the DIY install.
It would be great!!!!
      12-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #62
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Didn't take any more pictures today because I'm getting my B-Pillar ambient lights in tomorrow, and am going to hold off taking pictures until the look is complete.
I did just get in a new front map/reading light from BMW, because I cracked my front map light lens a little while ago and can't deal with it anymore especially with my new boards, so I took some pictures to post for install.

DIY:

Materials required:
  • Promina LED RF-B(front) + RR-B(rear) boards
  • Trim tools / small screwdrivers / picks + hooks
  • Plastic Welder (Bondic) or hot glue
  • Small offset wire clippers / razor / small scissors
The light in the image below is the front map / reading light, though it is very similar to the rear dome light.

First, disconnect the ground wire from the battery (-) terminal, this is necessary because accessing the front map light board involves removing several cables from the large roof housing, some of which will record a fault in your car when disconnected (airbag).

Next follow this guide by VSmotorsports to remove the map light housing.

After the housing is down, carefully remove all the cables and wires running into the housing.

Once you have the housing removed entirely, locate the metal retaining clips on the map / reading light, depress them and push the light out of the housing.

For the rear light, use small screwdrivers or thin trim tools to release the metal retaining clips on the front of the rear dome light, and pull it down from the roof of the cabin, disconnect the cable.

When you have both lights down, clip off the gray plastic rivet heads (5 for the front, 4 in the rear) with wire clippers, the factory LED boards should lift right out very easily now, the front board has a black plastic cover but it is just riveted down with the board. There may be little rubber pieces that stick to the board, just set them back into the buttons, being sure to replace them properly.

Install new Promina LED boards by placing them down in the housing exactly how the old boards were installed, it should easily set on the studs of the old rivets, set the black plastic cover over the front board as before.

Now use the plastic welder or hot glue to touch up the top of each rivet stud, to recreate a small head of the rivet, securing the board in the housing.
(Promina provides and instructs to use small screws to secure the board down, this seemed like a bad idea, because very small pilot holes need to be drilled in very narrow plastic parts, it seemed much faster, easier, and safer, to use a small amount of glue or plastic to secure it.)

Now that your new boards are installed in the light housings, reinstall the front map / reading light into the map light housing. Reconnect all wires in their original sockets, and then gently push the housing and rear dome back into their cabin roof housings, they should click in easily.

Reconnect the negative battery terminal to the ground wire, and enjoy your new white / blue LEDs!
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #63
jazza
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Didn't take any more pictures today because I'm getting my B-Pillar ambient lights in tomorrow, and am going to hold off taking pictures until the look is complete.
I did just get in a new front map/reading light from BMW, because I cracked my front map light lens a little while ago and can't deal with it anymore especially with my new boards, so I took some pictures to post for install.

DIY:

Materials required:
  • Promina LED RF-B(front) + RR-B(rear) boards
  • Trim tools / small screwdrivers / picks + hooks
  • Plastic Welder (Bondic) or hot glue
  • Small offset wire clippers / razor / small scissors
The light in the image below is the front map / reading light, though it is very similar to the rear dome light.

First, disconnect the ground wire from the battery (-) terminal, this is necessary because accessing the front map light board involves removing several cables from the large roof housing, some of which will record a fault in your car when disconnected (airbag).

Next follow this guide by VSmotorsports to remove the map light housing.

After the housing is down, carefully remove all the cables and wires running into the housing.

Once you have the housing removed entirely, locate the metal retaining clips on the map / reading light, depress them and push the light out of the housing.

For the rear light, use small screwdrivers or thin trim tools to release the metal retaining clips on the front of the rear dome light, and pull it down from the roof of the cabin, disconnect the cable.

When you have both lights down, clip off the gray plastic rivet heads (5 for the front, 4 in the rear) with wire clippers, the factory LED boards should lift right out very easily now, the front board has a black plastic cover but it is just riveted down with the board. There may be little rubber pieces that stick to the board, just set them back into the buttons, being sure to replace them properly.

Install new Promina LED boards by placing them down in the housing exactly how the old boards were installed, it should easily set on the studs of the old rivets, set the black plastic cover over the front board as before.

Now use the plastic welder or hot glue to touch up the top of each rivet stud, to recreate a small head of the rivet, securing the board in the housing.
(Promina provides and instructs to use small screws to secure the board down, this seemed like a bad idea, because very small pilot holes need to be drilled in very narrow plastic parts, it seemed much faster, easier, and safer, to use a small amount of glue or plastic to secure it.)

Now that your new boards are installed in the light housings, reinstall the front map / reading light into the map light housing. Reconnect all wires in their original sockets, and then gently push the housing and rear dome back into their cabin roof housings, they should click in easily.

Reconnect the negative battery terminal to the ground wire, and enjoy your new white / blue LEDs!
Thanks, now I only have to get the PROMINA in Europe...
      12-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #64
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I now have done all LED lighting upgrades inside and outside my Pre-LCI F30.

Front
I have replaced all halogen bulbs with high wattage LEDs, did front turn signals in high output 80w AMBER,
100% all time Angels with soft on WL
Stock xenons
Front sidemarkers disabled when headlamps on.

Rear
Replaced turn signals with 50w Cree red bulbs on both sides. Same bulbs for the outer brake lights. I used 50w Cree white for rear fogs . I did the reversing lighting with whiter 80w Cree projectors.

Interior
glove box,
door projector puddles
Vanity lights
trunk
Footwells
All hi power clear white color

Promina front and rear LED boards with white LEDs and blue ambiance settings.

Upgraded door sill ambient lighting all 4 doors, retrofitted B-Pillar ambient lighting and also did the LCI trim ambient lighting.

It looks really great right now since I had the whole interior torn apart today it was too messy for photos but I'll get some photos done side by side with a stock lit car soon
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #65
Lefo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Has anyone recently changed their OEM LED lights to whiter LED lights?

The options in this thread seems expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #66
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

I've come a bit late to this item and wondered if anyone else had managed to acquire the Promina RF-B/RR-B kit, or anything equivalent.

I found several Japanese suppliers who were prepared to ship to the UK but, after they accepted my order, they each then cancelled saying that these were discontinued, presumably having tried to order from Promina.
Appreciate 0