F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 3 Series... is a Sport Package Returning?
GetBMWParts

02-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

2014 3 Series... is a Sport Package Returning?

Hi Gang, Thought I would get a little dicsussion going for those of us who want a 2013 or 2014 335i.

The more and more I think... could the new 320i be a taste of what 2014 may bring?

Wouldn't it be neat if all these lines were condensed to ONE option? Sport, Luxury, Modern. One click of the button to ADD a feature to a base car?

I'd love a 335i again with the sports pack from the 320i. If I wasn't about speed in any capacity I would order a 320i and just enjoy the style and look of the car.

The sport seats have no stitching. You get an M wheel and shifter on manual transmission cars. Black headliner, and the M suspension. All with the look of the 3's regular bumpers. ANd Burl Wood!

TOO bad the sportline wouldn't just add Burl wood and black stitching. They would have a customer.

So... what do you think. Will the lines exist in September? ANy bets or educated guesses based on friends in the business?

Last edited by JK479; 02-01-2013 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spelling and sentence structure...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Hi Gang, Thought I would get a little dicsussion going for those of us who want a 2013 or 2014 335i.

The more and more I think... could the new 320i be a taste of what 2014 may bring?

Wouldn't it be neat if all these lines were condensed to ONE option? Sport, Luxury, Modern. One click of the button to ADD a feature to a base car?

I'd love a 335i again with the sports pack from the 320i. If I wasn't about speed in any capacity I would order a 320i and just enjoy the style and look of the car.

The sport seats have no stitching. You get an M wheel and shifter on manual transmission cars. Black headliner, and the M suspension. All with the look of the 3's regular bumpers. ANd Burl Wood!

TOO bad the sportline wouldn't just add Burl wood and black stitching. They would have a customer.

So... what do you think. Will the lines exist in September? ANy bets or educated guesses based on friends in the business?
No clue!

Just a side point on how different strokes for different folks. I personally did not want wood anything in my car and I hated the look of the saddle brown leather. There was a car on the lot (black) that I loved the color but could not live with the interior (brown saddle or whatever and luxury model).

So I went with the melborne red sports with black seats and the aluminum/silver even though it had a few options I didn't care about much (power rear shade...).

I find it interesting that something I may think looks horrible, others think is gorgeous and cant live without. Talk about totally different tastes.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
No clue!

Just a side point on how different strokes for different folks. I personally did not want wood anything in my car and I hated the look of the saddle brown leather. There was a car on the lot (black) that I loved the color but could not live with the interior (brown saddle or whatever and luxury model).

So I went with the melborne red sports with black seats and the aluminum/silver even though it had a few options I didn't care about much (power rear shade...).

I find it interesting that something I may think looks horrible, others think is gorgeous and cant live without. Talk about totally different tastes.
I agree... i am finding more and more friends think wood is old fashioned. Maybe I am too. 6 speed manual, wood interior. I am trying to recapture a car I had in 2003... that 330i was beautiful.

I had metal trim in a Porsche (actually think it was painted plastic to be exact) BUt it worked for that car.

BMW's to me are stately. This new 335i is a winner if you can decide on a Line which I still struggle to do.

M Sport is the closest I get, but then I question if I want an M look. But all have their charm I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII

I wish they had this option when I was shopping. I would have elected for a luxury line with sport package then. I would have gotten the Metallic White with the brown interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
I agree... i am finding more and more friends think wood is old fashioned.
I do think wood is old-fashioned the burl from my E46 and poplar from my E90 dont fit my tastes anymore. I almost went with the aluminum trim until I saw the anthracite in a 535. The anthracite is still wood - but its the best looking wood trim BMW makes.
      02-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
No clue!

I'm with you on this. I hate wood in a car it just do not belong, especially a sport sedan. I find it hard to see why would someone want sport package and then brown and wood interior!!

I personally think BMW did a really good job with the lines and the options that were offered when I was building my car was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I'm with you on this. I hate wood in a car it just do not belong, especially a sport sedan. I find it hard to see why would someone want sport package and then brown and wood interior!!

I personally think BMW did a really good job with the lines and the options that were offered when I was building my car was perfect.
I'm not sure I would be a fan of the red trim... But with the red exterior and stitching, it fits nicely.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure I would be a fan of the red trim... But with the red exterior and stitching, it fits nicely.
Before I ordered mine I didn't like the red trim from the few pics that was around back then. So I told the sales guy I want to wait till Feb 2012 when they get some in the showroom I would come check it out and make my final decision on options. I saw the red trim and loved it with the black interior. It looks nothing like it does in pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Before I ordered mine I didn't like the red trim from the few pics that was around back then. So I told the sales guy I want to wait till Feb 2012 when they get some in the showroom I would come check it out and make my final decision on options. I saw the red trim and loved it with the black interior. It looks nothing like it does in pics.
I saw the red trim in person as well. I didn't like it that much - personal preference.
      02-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

To me, wood belongs on a boat, not a car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:

+1. Wood belongs in old Jags and Rollers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I think the anthracite wood trim is nice and modern, but the burl is a little bit old school.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
I think the anthracite wood trim is nice and modern, but the burl is a little bit old school.
So no one else a fan of the burl/metal?

Personally feel its stellar in 5, x5 ect...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

"The sport seats have no stitching. You get an M wheel and shifter on manual transmission cars. Black headliner, and the M suspension. All with the look of the 3's regular bumpers."

Totally agree the Sport Pack and the Base Line facia is the best combination.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
dzaborn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
"The sport seats have no stitching. You get an M wheel and shifter on manual transmission cars. Black headliner, and the M suspension. All with the look of the 3's regular bumpers."

Totally agree the Sport Pack and the Base Line facia is the best combination.
I am suprised that I have not seen more discussion about the filler line on the Luxury, Modern, and Sport Line bumpers. I guess most don't really mind it. I really don't like it and wish I was getting the base line bumer.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
+1.

Not to mention the "wood" in the 3 series looks like cheap plastic to me. Much prefer the more modern metal like finishes.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Blue strip makes it look too young. Wood reduces the cheap interior feeling and bring elegance to it. The burl walnut is fine but I wish they offered the anthracite for M sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Blue strip makes it look too young. Wood reduces the cheap interior feeling and bring elegance to it. The burl walnut is fine but I wish they offered the anthracite for M sport.
I think the blue stripe is meant to look young and sporty!

Everyone has different taste, which is cool. But to my eyes high gloss wood finishes are the definition of cheap.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger
Interesting... The consensus is the anthracite is more desirable the burl. I need to really see this anthracite I guess. Sportline essentially would just need a new steering wheel and it would be free of the red stitching...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
+1.

Not to mention the "wood" in the 3 series looks like cheap plastic to me. Much prefer the more modern metal like finishes.
Even with the elegant metal trim that trims the bottom of the dash?

Does the 5 series pull it off better?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Love my m-sport with tan and wood (and black headliner and mats). Exact car I didn't order 10 years ago when I took what they had on hand on the lot. Now if they could just do something about the steering and release the PPk I should be all set.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting... The consensus is the anthracite is more desirable the burl. I need to really see this anthracite I guess. Sportline essentially would just need a new steering wheel and it would be free of the red stitching...
NO question. I had Burl in my E46 and anthracite now in my F30 - its not even comparable. I think metal/alum trims look decent too but for me personally, they look a little cheaper. I agree wood looks older fashioned - but the anthracite strikes a nice balance.