F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > remote start?
ARMA SPEED

01-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #23
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I don't understand the Europeans aversion to this; especially given the fact that its a colder market than the U.S. We had to pay extra for "programming" for my wife's Volvo XC60 R Design for remote start. It isn't offered in Sweden and it is a NA market specific work-around. What is SUPER dumb about it is that even though it will remote start, the engine stops IMMEDIATELY when any door is unlocked or opened. So in that regard, it's nearly worthless.
Maybe the majority of cars in Germany are still manual? As far as I remember, even here, it's always been illegal on any manual car. Or they are just slow to update the laws.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #24
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I don't understand the Europeans aversion to this; especially given the fact that its a colder market than the U.S. We had to pay extra for "programming" for my wife's Volvo XC60 R Design for remote start. It isn't offered in Sweden and it is a NA market specific work-around. What is SUPER dumb about it is that even though it will remote start, the engine stops IMMEDIATELY when any door is unlocked or opened. So in that regard, it's nearly worthless.
Maybe the majority of cars in Germany are still manual? As far as I remember, even here, it's always been illegal on any manual car. Or they are just slow to update the laws.
Yes, my 335i is a manual. Obviously, that's not a setup conducive to remote start.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
I had remote start on my previous GM vehicle and it was great. When you remote start (at least on GM vehicles), the engine will only remain on for 10 minutes and then shut off. You can extend the time by another 10 minutes if you press the button again, but 20 minutes is the max.

As far as reducing anti-theft deterrent, I don't see why it would. The doors remain locked when remote start is engaged. In fact, you actually have to lock the vehicle before you can remote start it. Thieves will break into the vehicle regardless of whether the engine is running or not. If they try to steal the vehicle, it wouldn't be any easier than doing so with a locked, non-running vehicle. You cannot switch the vehicle out of Park without having the key fob inside the vehicle and pushing the ignition button, or sticking the key into the ignition and turning it to the "On" position...
      01-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Agreed ^^ my vehicle will shut off when brake pedal is depressed without key/fob

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #27
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Audi offers a nice remote starter for their cars in Canada, although it costs $1,200. That being said, Audi is fully behind the product and it doesn't void any warranties. I don't see why BMW can't follow suit.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #28
azn_fcuk
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4, X6MC, AMG GT Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
BMW doesn't offer remote start on any of their vehicles solely because remote start is illegal in Germany.
Factory not but DEI, Fortin & I-Data offers aftermarket options for some BMW's and quite a few Mercedes.

All PNP as long as you have some 12volt installation and mechanical knowledge
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #29
azn_fcuk
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4, X6MC, AMG GT Pro

8-10 years ago remote starts and older vehicles before then required the key to be installed into the car in a bypass box or wire wrap which sent the keys transponder signal to the ecu to verify key was actually in the tumbler.
Older GM's had passlock not a chipped key that worked off of resistance which made it quite easy to hot wire if you knew what you were doing.....

These days its all PNP with auto learning bypass modules that dont require you to loose the key or have it installed.

If someone breaks in and hit the brake pedal car simply shuts down.
They're open to stealing your contents obviously but not the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 11:55 PM   #30
cookie monster
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm wrong View Post
Remote starting a vehicle is bad for the vehicle and for environment.
Let alone the fact that it defeats anti-theft deterrents.

Maybe you'll understand now.

For OP:

http://bmwremotestarter.com/index.html

http://www.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/165
So it's better for the environment to walk outside in the cold, start your car, and then walk back inside while it warms up? Please don't counter with you shouldn't be warming your car up at all. When its ten below zero that's ridiculous. If you want to save the environment by all means sell your car and walk everywhere but please don't preach when your burning gas with the rest of us.....Also I've paid thousands and thousands of dollars to insurance companies so I don't have to worry about things like theft. If someone wants to smash the windshield and take the car then by all means go ahead. I would much rather they do it without someone being in the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 03:05 AM   #31
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
The latest factory remote starts are great. My lady's grand cherokee is fully integrated, no risk to anti theft equipment. It can be started with the key fob or the mobile app. It turns on the heated seats and steering wheel below 37 degrees and turns on the cooled seats above 80. Since all BMWs use electronic starters (software) this would be pretty easy for engineers to add for US cars. Mercedes has started doing it for cars with the latest connected system through the app. The reason BMW isn't adding it so far is a mix of hubris and laziness.
MB is slowly integrating remote start through the mbrace app for each vehicle as it goes through it's next refresh/update. We have it on our new GLE and I say it works about 85% of the time. Sometimes it says "no communication w/ vehicle" or at times if the mbrace servers are down, it wouldn't work. Runs for 10 mins, can only do it twice, and shuts off when a door is unlocked.

Part of BMW's anti-theft system involved a code being sent from the car to the key when the vehicle was shut off. That same code sent to that key had to be sent back to the car in order for it start. Previous remote start systems required bypassing this procedure.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 03:17 AM   #32
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Unexpected Creations in Edison NJ has done remote starting systems in current BMWs without issue.
Personally, I love remote start.
      03-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #33
mrmd1999
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
The reason BMW isn't adding it so far is a mix of hubris and laziness.
This.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #34
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOITALL View Post
Remote starting a vehicle is bad for the vehicle and for environment.
Let alone the fact that it defeats anti-theft deterrents.

For OP:

http://bmwremotestarter.com/index.html

http://www.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/165
Except you probably don't live in a place were your vehicle can cold soak in an hour or two because it's -20, let alone be able to drive "moderately" after starting because you have to heat it up enough to soften the ice on the windows so it'll scrape off.

It's also simply not always possible in some situations to drive "moderately" from where your car is when it's cold out, due to proximity to freeway, etc.

Thing is, it's often too cold to drive the damn car up here right after you start it, due to the above factors. Might as well have it be a little warm when you actually start. Not having remote start as an OPTION is dumb.
Appreciate 0