F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 3 Series... is a Sport Package Returning?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
So no one else a fan of the burl/metal?

Personally feel its stellar in 5, x5 ect...
I'm a fan and have ordered it. I like the metal trims too, so the decision wasn't easy. I had aluminum trim in my Honda Accord in the early 2000's. My GT has aluminum trim as well. With the wood my M Sport will look aggressive on the outside, and sporty but still luxurious on the inside. In the end, I appreciate anyone's choice for exterior color and interior trim and understand that it's what "works" for them. If all our cars looked the same we'd be bored to death.

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #24
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Even with the elegant metal trim that trims the bottom of the dash?

Does the 5 series pull it off better?
Yup.......it's not as sporty. Wood does not belong in sports car/sedan. Belongs in old guy/luxury sedan.....IMO .
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
I'm a fan and have ordered it. I like the metal trims too, so the decision wasn't easy. I had aluminum trim in my Honda Accord in the early 2000's. My GT has aluminum trim as well. With the wood my M Sport will look aggressive on the outside, and sporty but still luxurious on the inside. In the end, I appreciate anyone's choice for exterior color and interior trim and understand that it's what "works" for them. If all our cars looked the same we'd be bored to death.

Any chance you could post your pictures link? Sounds like a beautiful setup!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any chance you could post your pictures link? Sounds like a beautiful setup!
Thanks! Check out my sig. The car is on order for European Delivery on April 23rd. There's a lot of waiting to go before I can post some photos.

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
I am suprised that I have not seen more discussion about the filler line on the Luxury, Modern, and Sport Line bumpers. I guess most don't really mind it. I really don't like it and wish I was getting the base line bumer.
I think most fall in line with a "line". I am too fussy and I think so used to the old way of ordering cars that I am really struggling with picking a line thats right for me.

Interior- Luxury, but add sport seats.
Exterior-BASE- I know... weird, but its the cleanest look at there.
Seats- M Sport.
Steering Wheel- Sport wheel from Luxury.

- I want to love the M sport. But I question whether or not i'd be posing in that line. M is written on all the wheels, the steering wheel and 6 speed shifter. Even on the trim walking into the car. Yet we assume others wont think this is an M 3? my Lord BMW, why not just write ///M Sport instead!!!! Even Steering wheel wouldn't confuse with real M3...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think most fall in line with a "line". I am too fussy and I think so used to the old way of ordering cars that I am really struggling with picking a line thats right for me.

Seats- M Sport.

- I want to love the M sport. But I question whether or not i'd be posing in that line. M is written on all the wheels, the steering wheel and 6 speed shifter. Even on the trim walking into the car. Yet we assume others wont think this is an M 3? my Lord BMW, why not just write ///M Sport instead!!!! Even Steering wheel wouldn't confuse with real M3...
Don't worry about what others think. If they know anything about the car they will know what M means and why its there. Looks cool.....order it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Quote:

Seats- M Sport.

As posted earlier, I agree with your list, especially the Base model looking the best. As for the M-Sport, I need xDrive and cannot see the advantage of ordering it and with exception of EBII, the interior options are limited and basically are hand-me-downs from the other Lines.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #30
dzaborn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i GC

Quote:

Seats- M Sport.

As far as the exterior, the wheels are what make the most difference to me. I like both the Sport and Modern Line wheels, but really don't like the Luxury. The trim pieces and grill don't matter that much to me, except that trim line in the bumper which I really don't care for. The interior for me is fine for all three lines, but I really don't like the Base interior and steering wheel at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #31
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
So no one else a fan of the burl/metal?

Personally feel its stellar in 5, x5 ect...
I personally hate burl wood in cars, it's so 1990. I would like it if the wood was more uniform. For my M-Sport the only option I can stomach is the aluminum, a little cold but what can I say.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #32
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
I personally hate burl wood in cars, it's so 1990. I would like it if the wood was more uniform. For my M-Sport the only option I can stomach is the aluminum, a little cold but what can I say.

1990s Spider

Woods and metals have both been used through the decades. People have preferences, that's all. In 20 years you may prefer wood, thinking that aluminum is "too turn of the century."

btw, "hate" is a pretty strong word.....

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #33
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
As far as the exterior, the wheels are what make the most difference to me. I like both the Sport and Modern Line wheels, but really don't like the Luxury. The trim pieces and grill don't matter that much to me, except that trim line in the bumper which I really don't care for. The interior for me is fine for all three lines, but I really don't like the Base interior and steering wheel at all.
I agree here... BMW is basically forcing us to choose a line because the wheels of the base are so boring! ANd base seats and non sport steering wheel in a 52,000 loaded car? What the heck?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

1990s Spider

Woods and metals have both been used through the decades. People have preferences, that's all. In 20 years you may prefer wood, thinking that aluminum is "too turn of the century."

Metal is cold? Actually wood interior trim is considered warm

How can wood, which is hand crafted and great quality be hated? Why not have a beautiful wood interior... BMW is a very luxurious car. If they left it off the 3 series people would cry that its a cheap car!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #35
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Metal is cold? Actually wood interior trim is considered warm

How can wood, which is hand crafted and great quality be hated? Why not have a beautiful wood interior... BMW is a very luxurious car. If they left it off the 3 series people would cry that its a cheap car!
You quoted the wrong post. I actually have a slight preference for the wood. Notice the build of my car in my sig. And, did you mean to begin your post "Wood is cold?" instead of "Metal is cold?"

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #36
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
[Insulting image taken out]

1990s Spider

Did you just post a Renault photo in a BMW forum?

Next time counter me with a Lada or Yugo for maximum comic effect.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You quoted the wrong post. I actually have a slight preference for the wood. Notice the build of my car in my sig. And, did you mean to begin your post "Wood is cold?" instead of "Metal is cold?"
Yikes... sorry for the blunder... I was trying to talk to the other guy who wasn't a fan.

Not sure why I am on my high horse when it comes to the wood interior thing. I guess my eye sees some kind of luxury that is a personal taste.

Carbon leather is actually my favorite. From the M3. To me, it was better than Burl or Metal.

Let the M sport have that optionally and maybe or discussion is MOOT
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I'm with you on this. I hate wood in a car it just do not belong, especially a sport sedan. I find it hard to see why would someone want sport package and then brown and wood interior!!

I personally think BMW did a really good job with the lines and the options that were offered when I was building my car was perfect.
Brown interior looks amazing (Sport pkg/terra interior here, wouldn't have it any other way). Black interiors are boring. Beige, no thanks.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #39
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:

Such packages have been offered for twenty plus years now. You could get a 318ti with the same front end as an e36 M3, literally in your rearview you would not be able to distinguish.

I upgraded my wheels so there is not one single M badge on the exterior. M steering wheels and knobs really do not mean much, do not get too hung up on It.

I had a no line base 6mt on order at first. There is something about how the m sport is kitted out, it just makes the car feel a bit more special.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #40
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Such packages have been offered for twenty plus years now. You could get a 318ti with the same front end as an e36 M3, literally in your rearview you would not be able to distinguish.

I upgraded my wheels so there is not one single M badge on the exterior. M steering wheels and knobs really do not mean much, do not get too hung up on It.

I had a no line base 6mt on order at first. There is something about how the m sport is kitted out, it just makes the car feel a bit more special.
I think you are right about the M Sport. Its been discussed here as a special look. I just hate having dicussions with people telling me its a poser ///M when the reality is the owner is not trying to look as though he or she has an M.

I think if BMW labeled the steering wheel as ///Msportline opposed to ///M wouldnt have this backlash. Or if the front spoiler wasn't such a duplicate of the next M3.

I realize all of the components that go into an M are skin deep. But why is BMW pushing the M look on non M cars? Money... they can sell a package and people will sign up.

Just in my case its about the Burl Wood, the nicer stitching. And less about the exterior appearance.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #41
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I think you are right about the M Sport. Its been discussed here as a special look. I just hate having dicussions with people telling me its a poser ///M when the reality is the owner is not trying to look as though he or she has an M.

I think if BMW labeled the steering wheel as ///Msportline opposed to ///M wouldnt have this backlash. Or if the front spoiler wasn't such a duplicate of the next M3.

I realize all of the components that go into an M are skin deep. But why is BMW pushing the M look on non M cars? Money... they can sell a package and people will sign up.

Just in my case its about the Burl Wood, the nicer stitching. And less about the exterior appearance.
Never encountered poser mentality from anyone.

But I have been to shows where people put m badges and m stripes on cars that did not come with them. Thats one thing. Audi has the S-line which gives it S4 appearance, MB has Amg packs of wheels and bodykit for lesser models, Porsche put the body kit from the turbo on NA 911s as S models. This is pretty much the standard for the industry.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #42
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Never encountered poser mentality from anyone.

But I have been to shows where people put m badges and m stripes on cars that did not come with them. Thats one thing. Audi has the S-line which gives it S4 appearance, MB has Amg packs of wheels and bodykit for lesser models, Porsche put the body kit from the turbo on NA 911s as S models. This is pretty much the standard for the industry.
I have a friend who owns an e92 M3. And to be honest, I see why he would present his feelings to me about this. I have asked his opinion over the course of choosing the car.

I think its more of my own problem about image and what my friends think about the car as opposed to what reality is. I am glad you brought this up because maybe BMW needs to be cut some slack since MB, Audi and Lexus all have a sportline similar to their performance brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #43
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
The only people worried about being a poser driving M Sport packages are ones that aren't comfortable in their own skin. Now, if you stick a ///M badge on your M Sport, like this guy, then yeah, you're being a poser.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #44
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I agree here... BMW is basically forcing us to choose a line because the wheels of the base are so boring! ANd base seats and non sport steering wheel in a 52,000 loaded car? What the heck?
The Japanese invented this "package strategy years ago..very efficient on the assembly line.
Appreciate 0