F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Building a house, screwed up the specs - Options?
Studio RSR

01-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #45
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Must be nice to build a house with 6 figures. Good luck - should not be too much of an issue.

What's the big deal about building a house that's six figures?

Especially if you actually own an X5 50i that starts at $74K?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #46
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
Must be nice to build a house with 6 figures. Good luck - should not be too much of an issue.

What's the big deal about building a house that's six figures?

Especially if you actually own an X5 50i that starts at $74K?
SoCal is mostly 7 figures. Wish our $ went that far.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #47
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I see. I couldn't understand how you'd build a reasonable house for less than in the six figures. Misinterpretation on my part.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #48
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Not saying that the house is not nice, I am sure it is. However, 500k does not buy a grand home in Florida. 400k-600k is strictly middle class single family housing down here (in most areas south of Orlando).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #49
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now I understand your comments. So cal is insane with pricing. You actually have to spend over a million to get a "nice" house. A 500k house in So cal will probably have you living in a neighborhood where you have to duck to avoid gunshots.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #50
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
They make it clear before you buy the house. ItÂ’s not like they changed the rule on everyone and IÂ’m quite certain itÂ’s the rule. All houses have 2 or 3-car garages. OurÂ’s is 3-car and 20.5Â’ deep. If a truck doesnÂ’t fit in the garage, personally I donÂ’t mind not seeing it in anyoneÂ’s driveway.

HOA probably wants to avoid stupid shit like this from the next town over:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/200...ck-jeff-george
I remember that guy and he was as obnoxious as they come. He is now doing federal time for his part in running a pill mill outfit in South Florida.
Yeah. He and his brother were real douche bags and, as it turns out, criminals. I also seem to recall some news about their father's home building business having some trouble but mostly remember the truck and pill mill.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...RIp3dRlXtCAVL/
      01-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #51
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Not saying that the house is not nice, I am sure it is. However, 500k does not buy a grand home in Florida. 400k-600k is strictly middle class single family housing down here (in most areas south of Orlando).
It is our downsizing retirement home. Retiring in 3 to 5 years.

We sold our last one for $750K (renting one now until this one is built), I do not miss it. Too big, too expensive.

One we are building is nice. Happy with it....except the garage lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #52
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Yeah. He and his brother were real douche bags and, as it turns out, criminals. I also seem to recall some news about their father's home building business having some trouble but mostly remember the truck and pill mill.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...RIp3dRlXtCAVL/
I thought this story sounded familiar. These dirt bags were featured on American Greed.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2016/07/0...-profits-.html
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #53
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun ticket View Post
Quote:

We sold our last one for $750K (renting one now until this one is built), I do not miss it. Too big, too expensive.

Congrats on the new house. Hope the situation with the garage gets resolved to your satisfaction.
      01-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #54
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats on the new house. Hope the situation with the garbage gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Man, you don't have to call his new home garbage already! He hasn't even moved in or parked his truck sideways in the lawn yet.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #55
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats on the new house. Hope the situation with the garbage gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Man, you don't have to call his new home garbage already! He hasn't even moved in or parked his truck sideways in the lawn yet.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Forgive my typo. I meant to write garage.
      01-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #56
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Forgive my typo. I meant to write garage.
Just own it. We know where this was headed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #57
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
My wife's sister and bother-in-law built their first home and one things they wanted was an attic fan, it was the only thing not on the options list, they fought with the track home build to put one in and add it as an option. You would think this should not be a big deal. Well, the builder would not agree to put one in. Attic fans in the summer can cut down on your cooling bill during the summer so it was worth it to them to pay to have it built in while the house was being constructed.

Since the builder refuse to add it to the contract (never found out why they would not agree) the bother-in-law went into the house while they were building it and installed the fan and figure he would have it wired later. Well the builder found out about and had his workers rip it out. Needless to say it lead big fight between the build the my wife's sister and brother-in-law.

The wife and I bought a brand new house and it was not from a track home builder, it was considered a semi-custom home they had basic plans but you can modify them how you want, the builder would do whatever you want within reason. We are planning on building our retirement home and we will do the same thing work with an individual builder not a track home builder for all these reason.
FYI...Attics fans don't work on passively vented roofs. Air sealing the ceiling and cheap insulation do work.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #58
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, I see. I couldn't understand how you'd build a reasonable house for less than in the six figures. Misinterpretation on my part.
High costs for land, labor, and code compliance are why California homes are expensive. I've seen $500k homes in California where the site values are around $400k.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #59
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I've seen $500k homes in California where the site values are around $400k.
I'll have you know I have a 12 gauge and am a pretty good shot. Don't be snooping around without coming in for a drink or something first.
Appreciate 3
F32Fleet3570.00
Red Bread4463.00
Joekerr7929.00
      01-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #60
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
UPDATE:

The builder came back and said:

(1) They will not modify the exsiting slab (I did not expect they would)
(2) They will not allow us to move our contract to another lot after we told them we were more than willing to pay for an lot upgrade and change fees. (I was very surprised by this)

We have consulted with a real estate attorney who said it is an interesting situation. Yes, we signed the docs and acknowledge our error so that will come into play. However, counsel said our representative (in this case the builders sales agent) has a duty to represent the product correctly. They said we may have a window of opportunity there. They are doing some additional research and said they will most likely send a letter to the builder and request resolution (depending the outcome of their research).

Personally, I doubt anything will come of it. Worst case, Raptor gets parked outside and this problem goes away with the next vehicle purchase (unless it is a truck).

Why not ask them for a quote to fix it now, see if its worth it to you to pay for it....

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #61
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
It is. It's really nice actually. That's why I don't live in California.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #62
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Why not ask them for a quote to fix it now, see if its worth it to you to pay for it....
There is nothing to fix. The fix is to tear out pretty much everything and start over. Anything less is flushing the cost of the "fix" and $500k down the toilet.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      01-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #63
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just curious, but the magical interwebs say the longest Raptor is 19.3' long. Wouldn't it be possible to toss on some compact bumpers and squeeze that bad boy in there? I mean, eventually you'll Audi 5000 that bitch right into your pool, but until then...

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/13...g?v=1509494049[/img]

This would probably require a flush mount door too, get to spending!
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...i9QY9u6znnFz9N[/img]
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #64
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'll have you know I have a 12 gauge and am a pretty good shot. Don't be snooping around without coming in for a drink or something first.
Does this extend to anyone...like myself? Or in my case is it more a shoot first and ask questions later?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #65
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Just curious, but the magical interwebs say the longest Raptor is 19.3' long. Wouldn't it be possible to toss on some compact bumpers and squeeze that bad boy in there? I mean, eventually you'll Audi 5000 that bitch right into your pool, but until then...

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/13...g?v=1509494049[/img]

This would probably require a flush mount door too, get to spending!
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...i9QY9u6znnFz9N[/img]
Funny you mention that. I was thinking about other options and a bumper change did cross my mind. I have not researched them yet. I literally on need a few inches to clear it.

My other option is to remove the bottom two hurricane braces on the door so they clear the bumper. They extend a few inches into the garage.

Idk, we will see. Or I will just leave it outside. It is a truck after all......
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      01-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #66
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Does this extend to anyone...like myself? Or in my case is it more a shoot first and ask questions later?
I do have another fishing reel that needs a blue sack