F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What winters are you running?

11-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #45
teaston
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
Anyone actually used this or another manufactuer. I need to get one just wonder which people recommend with real use experience?
I’ve used Holts Tyreweld before (on the wife’s previous mini), which worked great, particularly as it was getting traded in soon (at that time), and the tyre had plenty of tread. With them being runflats, and the car used for only town driving, the few weeks it needed to last came and went with no further issue or loss of pressure. Just deflate the tyre as much as possible, connect, turn the “switch”, wait until all the foam has entered, then drive for several miles. Ideally you inflate to the correct pressure after that drive.

I have a can of this in my boot as back up, as well as the default inflator kit for the MPSS’s on my car.

With the slime kit, don’t you have to remove the valve to enter the slime, before re-inserting a new valve (or the old one), then re-inflating? Seems a bit of a flaf??
Yes you do need to remove the valve core, but it's very easy with a cheap valve core removal tool. Advantage with slime is it's water based and easy to clean off the tyre, but I believe many tyre fitters will refuse to remove tyres with tyre weld in it, especially to repair it.
      11-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #46
r1cey
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yes you do need to remove the valve core, but it's very easy with a cheap valve core removal tool. Advantage with slime is it's water based and easy to clean off the tyre, but I believe many tyre fitters will refuse to remove tyres with tyre weld in it, especially to repair it.
Thanks for the info. As I said, I just have the tyreweld as backup, anyone know if the BMW inflator kit is water based?
I have tyre insurance, so my tyres would get replaced not repaired anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #47
teaston
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cey View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the info. As I said, I just have the tyreweld as backup, anyone know if the BMW inflator kit is water based?
I have tyre insurance, so my tyres would get replaced not repaired anyway.
I think the BMW stuff is the same as tyre weld, just packaged differently. The BMW kit is the Continental kit, which is available cheaper without the BMW branding on it.
      11-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #48
sensible
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

Quote:
There's all you need in the Slime kit inc the valve removal key. The istructions look simple and is supposed to be done in 15 mins.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #49
Minty
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
They take at least a couple of k to fully scrub in mate, so they should get a lot better.

Still nowhere near as good as summer tyres in warmer/dry conditions though as discussed above.
Already done several thousand miles and BMW carried out a KDS alignment...lots of interesting sideways action though
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #50
teaston
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
Already done several thousand miles and BMW carried out a KDS alignment...lots of interesting sideways action though
Oh, they must just be poor winter tyres then! Looking at them it appears they’re not sports winter tyres like my Dunlop 4D’s, so could be why. Also the 225’s on the rear won’t help, you really should stick to 255’s, especially on a high powered rear wheel drive!