F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPod Classic Crashing?
Studio RSR

05-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Out of curiosity, when that happens, what's the charge level on the iPod? Ours seems to be discharging for no good reason when left plugged into the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #24
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
My iPod Classic 80GB worked for the first two weeks with a USB connection just fine, other than being a little sluggish. Now it has started to lock up and not be recognized by the car. It would be unfortunate if classics are not compatible, since they are the only ones with a large enough capacity to hold all my music.
It's not the compatibility that's the issue. It's the age of the technology in the Classic that's the problem and there's no workaround. You need to take a hard look at your iTunes collection, discard the songs you truly don't listen to, make some fab Playlists, get an iPod Touch, and let this Classic go.

Cars face extremes of hot and cold. Physical hard drives don't like facing extremes of hot and cold. There's no getting around that.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #25
terryn
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport line

We need to understand why the iPod Classics are not compatible.

HD and temperature issues? Not my problem. Have used this iPod in my Audi for years in all weather with not one issue. The recent BMW lockup occurred at 55F. Not an extreme temp for electronics.

Is it the number of tracks, library size etc.? Could be. The classics are different from the iPods that work in that they have capacities greater than 64GB. I've seen one post saying reducing the library to less than 60gb on an 80gb Classic solved the problem. Are people experiencing the freeze on Classics only when the library is greater than 64GB?

Is it something different in the library structure on the Classic because it is a HD not SSD?

Is the USB interface different on Classics different from a Touch or a Nano?

Without knowing the source of the problem, one could waste money on a solution that does not work. Would a newer Classics work? Would a 128GB USB stick work instead?

No matter what the problem, I fault BMW for not fully informing us. They should have a footnote under their USB interface literature stating that certain models do iPods are not supported.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #26
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
We need to understand why the iPod Classics are not compatible.
HD and temperature issues? Not my problem. Have used this iPod in my Audi for years in all weather with not one issue. The recent BMW lockup occurred at 55F. Not an extreme temp for electronics.
I can corroborate that one. My iPod works fine in my Miata, which gets a _lot_ more vibration and temperature extremes that the 3er.

I hope it's either a bug on BMWs part, since that could be fixed pretty easily. It could be a bug on the iPod itself. (Apple has all but abandoned the non-iOS iPods. It's been a _long_ time since the last firmware update.)

But I'm afraid it's an electrical issue, given the iPods tendency to discharge for no good reason. We've seen an apparently fully charged iPod discharge overnight when left plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #27
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
I haven't had any issues with my 120gb ipod classic. I've only had my car for about a week now, but this is the same ipod classic and BMW y-cable that I used in my old E90 without any problems for the 4 years I had that car.
Just to update my original post, my ipod classic still continues to work perfectly in my F30. Mine is left plugged in, in the center all the time and works flawlessly just as it did in my old E90.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
terryn
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport line

Mine worked fine for two weeks. Now that the car has stopped recognizing it, it has never worked in the car again, even after reboots, restarts, etc. the classic still works fine out of the car. Going to have to go with a large USB stick instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
narlus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

eh, mine still freezes from time to time...and it's really annoying. i have to pop the center console, unplug the cords, and do a hard reboot on the iPod. not too convenient if you are not pulled over.

i think it's a ploy to force people into SiriusXM radio subscriptions.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
narlus
Private
Rep

i've had it...driving back and forth to NYC this weekend the thing stopped working at least a dozen times.

has anyone gotten any decent feedback from their dealers on this issue? i guess i'll find out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

I have a classic (80GB) in my 2013 335i, and also have an ipod classic in my wifes 2013 activeyhybrid 5 which is the 160GB classic. Both work fine in our cars. We leave them in there (so they "live" in the center console).

Have had zero issues with them so far since I have had both cars, which is mid april. I DO have issues with streaming over bluetooth in my wifes AH5, but thats another story, for another thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #32
taichi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 & F25

Garage List
I reboot my 30gb iPod classic and 80gb iPod video every once in a while too
      06-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #33
narlus
Private
Rep

one thing i've noticed is that the ipod can get really hot in the center console arm on hot days, which can't be good for hard drive. so i've been taking it w/ me if i am gonna be parked for a while.

i did mention this to my sales guy and he said BMW was aware of the problem and looking to address it, but couldn't give a timetable.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #34
narlus
Private
Rep

today marked a new low...

i switched from a playlist to shuffling all of my tracks, and the car would never see that the iPod was connected, despite several hard resets of the iPod.

i guess i'll see if it resumes working on the drive home.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #35
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus View Post
today marked a new low...

i switched from a playlist to shuffling all of my tracks, and the car would never see that the iPod was connected, despite several hard resets of the iPod.

i guess i'll see if it resumes working on the drive home.
The iPod Classic and it's mechanical hard drive are simply not meant for the harsh conditions of the summertime cockpit that can eclipse 140°F. My brand-new Classic lasted all of six months in my E90, fried on me one fine August day.

I own two cars each with an iPod touch in a glovebox and they work flawlessly going on 3 years now. Dump the Classic, go to Craigslist, buy a beaterr iPod touch, done.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
narlus
Private
Rep

Joe, the ipod stopped working on my way into work, after my car had been in a garage overnight...the car was not even close to being hot.

ipods worked fine in my other car...it's definitely something going on w/ the interface between the devices, not a hard drive failure.

as far as the Touch goes, I find the 160GB of the classic lacking in capacity...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #37
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Garage List
Took my iPod classic on a week long trip in a loaner 2012 328i coupe. It crashed/froze up multiple times. It has always worked in our F30 335i, but being my wife's car, I haven't really tried it for any extended periods.

The beauty of having a classic vs. the touch is capacity. If I wanted to just bring a playlist or a selection of songs, then I'd just bring along the CDs. Sound quality is better anyway (unless you rip to a lossless format, but then you limit your library significantly). I never know from moment to moment what I'm going to listen to and my wife and I have different tastes so I want to have my complete library available and it barely squeezes onto the 160gb classic and that's in it's most compressed format.

Of course streaming the library is a viable option from a phone and wouldn't even need the iPod, but it requires a cell signal and consumes data. Signal cannot be taken for granted when traveling or living in rural areas of the country, even in 2013.

So, for me, between the iPod classic, BMW apps internet radio, streaming library and occasionally satellite radio, I am covered most of the time. But a nice SSD based 256gb music player sure would be nice, preferably in the form of an iPod touch.
      07-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
narlus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeacon View Post

So, for me, between the iPod classic, BMW apps internet radio, streaming library and occasionally satellite radio, I am covered most of the time. But a nice SSD based 256gb music player sure would be nice, preferably in the form of an iPod touch.
yes, that would be nice i'd go for a 512GB or 1TB SSD device

but i'm afraid the market for such a beast would be pretty limited in this day of Spotify, Pandora, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #39
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yes, that would be nice i'd go for a 512GB or 1TB SSD device

but i'm afraid the market for such a beast would be pretty limited in this day of Spotify, Pandora, etc.
Yes, you are right. I do listen to those, and others occasionally. But, I've never been a radio listener, preferring to listen to complete albums. I guess I'm a dying breed .
      07-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #40
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you are right. I do listen to those, and others occasionally. But, I've never been a radio listener, preferring to listen to complete albums. I guess I'm a dying breed .
So who do we need to talk to to get BMW to add shuffle by album to the next software rev? (Or at least allow local control of the iPod, so I can start a playlist in album shuffle mode).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #41
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

My iPod nano 2nd or 3rd generation also freezes in the car ALL THE TIME. This is not a mechanical problem affecting only the classic iPods but like another poster said a firmware issue on either the iPod or BMW. I would venture and say the iPod software version.
      07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #42
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Joe, the ipod stopped working on my way into work, after my car had been in a garage overnight...the car was not even close to being hot.

ipods worked fine in my other car...it's definitely something going on w/ the interface between the devices, not a hard drive failure.

as far as the Touch goes, I find the 160GB of the classic lacking in capacity...
The Classic fries over time, its a cumulative effect of hot day after hot day and cold day after cold day.

It's not the interface. It's the physical design. I know this because my Classic worked flawlessly for months, then suddenly got laggy, then got buggy, and then died. And once out of the car, didn't work at all.

It's a physical problem. Get an SSD iPod, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #43
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Took my iPod classic on a week long trip in a loaner 2012 328i coupe. It crashed/froze up multiple times. It has always worked in our F30 335i, but being my wife's car, I haven't really tried it for any extended periods.

The beauty of having a classic vs. the touch is capacity. If I wanted to just bring a playlist or a selection of songs, then I'd just bring along the CDs. Sound quality is better anyway (unless you rip to a lossless format, but then you limit your library significantly). I never know from moment to moment what I'm going to listen to and my wife and I have different tastes so I want to have my complete library available and it barely squeezes onto the 160gb classic and that's in it's most compressed format.

Of course streaming the library is a viable option from a phone and wouldn't even need the iPod, but it requires a cell signal and consumes data. Signal cannot be taken for granted when traveling or living in rural areas of the country, even in 2013.

Divide your iTunes library by Genre, and place the genre's that don't change much onto the internal hard drive.

Use your iPod Touch to handle genre's like rock, pop, hip-hop, that change frequently and which you download weekly/monthly. Put the genre's here that work together on Playlists or that you Shuffle frequently.

Use the internal iDrive hard drive to handle genre's like classical or crooners which never change. Put the genre's here that don't work together with the iPod's Playlists and that you'd never think of Shuffling.

Point being that there are advantages to a portable (sync'able) solution and a permanent (and hard-to-sync) solution. You have both, use them both, match the capacity/portability to the genre, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #44
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
Divide your iTunes library by Genre, and place the genre's that don't change much onto the internal hard drive.

Use your iPod Touch to handle genre's like rock, pop, hip-hop, that change frequently and which you download weekly/monthly. Put the genre's here that work together on Playlists or that you Shuffle frequently.

Use the internal iDrive hard drive to handle genre's like classical or crooners which never change. Put the genre's here that don't work together with the iPod's Playlists and that you'd never think of Shuffling.

Point being that there are advantages to a portable (sync'able) solution and a permanent (and hard-to-sync) solution. You have both, use them both, match the capacity/portability to the genre, problem solved.
Good advice, thanks for the tip.