F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool feature, find something, learn anything?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #1321
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Ambient Lighting on Doors

Not sure if this has been mentioned, as I haven't gone through all 61 pages of this thread... lol

I've noticed on the driver and passenger door (haven't checked the back doors) on the inside have very subtle ambient lightning at night. Every time I was in my car at night, I would notice a soft orange glow/reflection on the inner door handles, and I figured it was coming from the gauge cluster or something. Then one time while I was killing time in my car for whatever reason, I found the light source... above the door handle, the top section of the door trim kinda overlaps the lower section, and in the little groove there is orange ambient lighting!

But it's so subtle that you can't even really tell unless you put your finger under it or something, lol
      05-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #1322
juan2mini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, Mineral Grey, Stick

Great information - some follow up questions

I tried to make the trip computer one of my 1-8 default buttons. I got an error message that it couldn't be done. What determines which functions can be 1-8 defaults. I also tried folding my mirrors by leaving my finger on the door handle ridges. The sunroof closed but the mirrors didn't fold. I tried sending my car street address directions from google maps per instructions from a helpful member of the forum. I clicked on the red pin but didn't get the "more" option to go to "car". Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #1323
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan2mini
I tried to make the trip computer one of my 1-8 default buttons. I got an error message that it couldn't be done. What determines which functions can be 1-8 defaults. I also tried folding my mirrors by leaving my finger on the door handle ridges. The sunroof closed but the mirrors didn't fold. I tried sending my car street address directions from google maps per instructions from a helpful member of the forum. I clicked on the red pin but didn't get the "more" option to go to "car". Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.
I think you misunderstood the purpose of this thread
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #1324
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

You can adjust both the color and intensity of the light in iDrive "lighting" selection. There are also several downward facing lights on the roof of the car (two of which direct light down to console/shifter area). You'll notice the once you crank up the brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned, as I haven't gone through all 61 pages of this thread... lol

I've noticed on the driver and passenger door (haven't checked the back doors) on the inside have very subtle ambient lightning at night. Every time I was in my car at night, I would notice a soft orange glow/reflection on the inner door handles, and I figured it was coming from the gauge cluster or something. Then one time while I was killing time in my car for whatever reason, I found the light source... above the door handle, the top section of the door trim kinda overlaps the lower section, and in the little groove there is orange ambient lighting!

But it's so subtle that you can't even really tell unless you put your finger under it or something, lol
2013 328Xi M Sport - Glacier Silver - RETIRED
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #1325
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
You can adjust both the color and intensity of the light in iDrive "lighting" selection. There are also several downward facing lights on the roof of the car (two of which direct light down to console/shifter area). You'll notice the once you crank up the brightness.

Interesting... I'll have to check that out here in a bit when the sun goes down!
      05-28-2015, 02:28 AM   #1326
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
We're so lucky to have you .

When using manual shifting on the AT, the kickdown (or any other features of a normal AT) are disabled, except for the shiftdown when stopping, in case someone forgets to do it.

What he's specifying is a feature of this specific AT that will re enable the downshift.
Mostly for security, as the system senses that you really need to accelerate, so may be in problem and won't think about downshifting manually...
Regardless of Manual Mode or full AT, it's still a kickdown feature and in every auto box I've driven, in manual mode or not it's still worked when pushed past the resistance point ;-)

Anyway;

Quote:

A lot of people find this if they have the darker interior. Presume you've
Got black Dakota? I do and a 2012 build so only one colour (Orange) and it's barely visible at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
I think you misunderstood the purpose of this thread
You mean to help other people with stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan2mini View Post
I've set my journey computer to a 1-8 soft key so it can be done. How are you trying to do it, through settings, journey computer ? Also dunno if it makes a difference mines split screen with pronav.

As for the holding to lock, if you used the remote fob and hold lock do they fold then?

As for Google send to car I've never used it so can't help I'm afraid - use the BMW remote app instead.

Last edited by Sladester100; 05-29-2015 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Dodgy typing errors.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 07:25 AM   #1327
rezok
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d 2018 / M2 G87

I hadn't even noticed the LED lighting under the door strips until a friend pointed them out. What a shame they're not brighter because they are very cool!

I also noticed the distance to empty on a full refill tends to be determined by how hard you've pushed the previous tank of fuel. If I've had a highway drive, it seems to be higher to empty than if I've been pushing or city driving too...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #1328
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
A lot of people find this if they have the darker interior. Presume you've
Got black Dakota? I do and a 2012 build so only one colour (Orange) and it's barely visible at all!

Yep, I've got the Black Dakota interior. I only have the one color as well, so I'm guessing more colors are available with different models/options?
      05-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #1329
Jet Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezok View Post
I also noticed the distance to empty on a full refill tends to be determined by how hard you've pushed the previous tank of fuel. If I've had a highway drive, it seems to be higher to empty than if I've been pushing or city driving too...
Yeah, it's based on your most recent driving habits over the last 20 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #1330
ekinnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 328xi

Garage List
2015 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
some interesting stuff here but 61 pages, whoa? is there perhaps someone with alot of free time and dedication who wants to take on creating a summary sheet
      05-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #1331
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
The trick to programming the 1-8 buttons is to push and hold (program) the menu item that would take to you the screen you want to program if you clicked it. Trying to program the button from the screen you are on usually does not work; although on some screens it will...

For your example, select Vehicle info, then scroll to Trip computer, but don't click it. Now, press and hold the button you want to program to Trip computer.

In the US, the mirrors won't fold via comfort access or the fob without coding. If you are interested in coding this, send me a PM.

With the "new" google maps (web based), you have to register your car in google, then it will show up when you search for a location.

Start here: https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #1332
Shahdog
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55

Garage List
2011 335i  [8.66]
If your in sport+. Fastest way to comfort is pressing traction , versus scrolling twice back down to comfort

Moonroof goes back further

Press it back once; wait for it to open; then press the back arrow button again

It will go back a little further
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #1333
juan2mini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, Mineral Grey, Stick

Frogman, your instructions were very helpful, many thanks.

Sladestir - Frogman's instruction worked. No, the remote does not fold mirrors. thanks for the Google link.
Thanks you for the help, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #1334
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekinnyc View Post
some interesting stuff here but 61 pages, whoa? is there perhaps someone with alot of free time and dedication who wants to take on creating a summary sheet
No lol

To be fair its such a ramble of stuff people have found and alot of it is repeated so actually a summary sheet wouldn't be a bad idea, but then someone would have to keep it updated, its alot of work. I might start one when I get bored one evening at work.

Quote:
Frogman, your instructions were very helpful, many thanks.

Sladestir - Frogman's instruction worked. No, the remote does not fold mirrors. thanks for the Google link.
Thanks you for the help, much appreciated
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Quote:
Yep, I've got the Black Dakota interior. I only have the one color as well, so I'm guessing more colors are available with different models/options?
Yes higher models have the 'sport' option in settings>lighting.
      06-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #1335
ekinnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 328xi

Garage List
2015 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
No lol

To be fair its such a ramble of stuff people have found and alot of it is repeated so actually a summary sheet wouldn't be a bad idea, but then someone would have to keep it updated, its alot of work. I might start one when I get bored one evening at work.
well, took a couple of days at work, but i read all 61 pages.... lots of repeats, but the programming of 1-8 buttons was probably the most applicable and useful for me in particular.

it was strange reading the posts from 2012, knowing that the subsequent MY F30 had some features added/removed (ie. the cupholder cover was deleted).

i def want to check out if my 15MY has the trunk hooks (doubt it), if i have the additional usb port under the glove box (doubt it), and try out the follow-me lights.
      06-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #1336
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

If you have your Fan off and lock the car on your way out, ordinarily when you come back the Fan will switch back on again. However if you open your trunk (groceries) prior to unlocking your car, the Fan will not turn on and will remain off.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #1337
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 325i, '15 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
If you have your AC off and lock the car on your way out, ordinarily when you come back the AC will switch back on again. However if you open your trunk (groceries) prior to unlocking your car, the AC will not turn on and will remain off.
I'm finding the AC remains off if it was off the last time I drove the car

2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #1338
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays
Quote:
If you have your AC off and lock the car on your way out, ordinarily when you come back the AC will switch back on again. However if you open your trunk (groceries) prior to unlocking your car, the AC will not turn on and will remain off.
I'm finding the AC remains off if it was off the last time I drove the car

2015 335i
Interesting, they must have fixed this for 2015

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #1339
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 325i, '15 335i

Quote:
Correction on that, the green light on the AC was off on the way home, but the air was clearly cooled while I had the window open. I think the AC cut out part way home because the air was not as cool, but not warm. It was 80 degrees out.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #1340
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays
Quote:
Correction on that, the green light on the AC was off on the way home, but the air was clearly cooled while I had the window open. I think the AC cut out part way home because the air was not as cool, but not warm. It was 80 degrees out.
I just edited my original post. Replaced "AC" with "Fan". My bad

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #1341
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Not sure if this was posted. However, i just learned this feature by accident. For anyone who has the comfort access with trunk opener, there's a new way to open it with your foot. I never get 100 percent of success rate when using my foot. Sometimes i stand there waving my foot. Now...you can open the trunk with the foot 100 percent of the time. All you got to do is tap the bottom of the bumper. It will flash more than usual, but, will still open the trunk. Very useful. Now i no longer need to wave my foot around. I've just now tried over 20 times and each time it worked. Excellent.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #1342
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Not sure if this was posted. However, i just learned this feature by accident. For anyone who has the comfort access with trunk opener, there's a new way to open it with your foot. I never get 100 percent of success rate when using my foot. Sometimes i stand there waving my foot. Now...you can open the trunk with the foot 100 percent of the time. All you got to do is tap the bottom of the bumper. It will flash more than usual, but, will still open the trunk. Very useful. Now i no longer need to wave my foot around. I've just now tried over 20 times and each time it worked. Excellent.
Thanks for telling us the new way!
I've always been using the old way with my head and I often scape the back of my head on the pavement.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0