F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lease turn in inspection
Extreme Powerhouse

11-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
wonderd4
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Lease turn in inspection

Hello everyone. Does everyone have to go through a lease turn in inspection?

This company Autovin has been leaving non stop messages regarding this inspection and I was never aware this had to be done before turning in the lease (my first lease)

Has anyone ignored the inspection and just turned in the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderd4 View Post
Hello everyone. Does everyone have to go through a lease turn in inspection?

This company Autovin has been leaving non stop messages regarding this inspection and I was never aware this had to be done before turning in the lease (my first lease)

Has anyone ignored the inspection and just turned in the car?
I had to with my last lease (not BMW). From what I understand, many car manufacturers outsource the inspection so it is wholly possible that this company is hired by BMW. However, I would contact BMW financial services to make sure.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

You have to do the inspection as far as I know...it's a 3rd party, not BMW so you get an objective/fair look at the condition of the vehicle before returning it...
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Normal protocol.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
wonderd4
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Anyone knows what happens if I dont bring it and just bring the BMW to the dealership when its time to turn it in?
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyone knows what happens if I dont bring it and just bring the BMW to the dealership when its time to turn it in?
You delay getting your security deposit back and run the risk of defaulting on the lease terms. Just call your dealer. If you're getting into another BMW it may not be much of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
You delay getting your security deposit back...

This is likely true.

Quote:
...defaulting on the lease terms...
this is not. Defaulting on your lease would be from a number of reasons such as non payment. Not turning in the vehicle until after the deadline date etc. Unless your contract specifically says they this inspection is done by a third party and that you are required to take the vehicle to them prior to returning it then you can simply drop off the vehicle at the dealership. Just make sure you take pictures of the entire vehicle with doors and hood open too so that you can show a lawyer later if you need to. (I always have done this while at the dealer and dropping it off) I take pics right there, get them to sign off and drive away afterwards. What they do after that is on them. I did have them tell me once that they saw a scratch on the vehicle and i told them that it was funny that i had pics that didnt show a scratch where they indicated AND also someone signed off on it stating there was no damage. they dropped the case and that was it.
      11-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

I had a terrible experience with Autovin turning in my Volvo. Here's how the process works:
1- They send an inspector who takes pictures of everything but does not comment on whether any damage is charge-able or not.
2- A few weeks later, you get a document listing and showing all the damages and an evaluation of whether each is charge-able or not. At the bottom is the price they want you to pay for any chargeable damages. In my case, it was $375 for minor curb rash on 3 wheels. DO NOT PAY AT THIS TIME (IMO). I sent them a letter from a lawyer refusing to pay. I referred to the damages/excess wear section of the lease agreement for criteria.
3- You can contact your dealer/BMW financial and make noise about the findings. If your car is thru BMW financial and you are getting another BMW, they will be lenient. In my case, the Volvo dealer had used US Bank (lesson learned) so they claimed they had no leverage.
4- You turn in your car, and wait for the final determination. In my case, I guess I did the right things, as I got a letter confirming zero added charges.

But overall it is a very legalistic process designed to keep you from speaking to any one human being who can debate the merits of any damages.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
This is likely true.

this is not. Defaulting on your lease would be from a number of reasons such as non payment. Not turning in the vehicle until after the deadline date etc. Unless your contract specifically says they this inspection is done by a third party and that you are required to take the vehicle to them prior to returning it then you can simply drop off the vehicle at the dealership. Just make sure you take pictures of the entire vehicle with doors and hood open too so that you can show a lawyer later if you need to. (I always have done this while at the dealer and dropping it off) I take pics right there, get them to sign off and drive away afterwards. What they do after that is on them. I did have them tell me once that they saw a scratch on the vehicle and i told them that it was funny that i had pics that didnt show a scratch where they indicated AND also someone signed off on it stating there was no damage. they dropped the case and that was it.
We don't know the answer to this question, so we can't say definitively yes or no. Thus my "run the risk" statement...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
Aud Dr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 SO

Has anyone besides 3liter1 ever been assessed unexpected charges for wear or damage?
      11-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud Dr View Post
Has anyone besides 3liter1 ever been assessed unexpected charges for wear or damage?
BMWFS publishes very specific criteria for determining whether wear/damage is within acceptable limits. They typically send a packet explaining everything as well as a tread were gauge, ding/dent gauge etc. You shouldn't have anything "unexpected" unless you're in denial about the actual condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
Aud Dr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMWFS publishes very specific criteria for determining whether wear/damage is within acceptable limits. They typically send a packet explaining everything as well as a tread were gauge, ding/dent gauge etc. You shouldn't have anything "unexpected" unless you're in denial about the actual condition.
I am tranferring my lease to another private party (through BMWFS). BMW does not require an inspection for this transfer. I have curb rash on one wheel and scuffing under the front bumper.

How concerned should the new private party be about turning in this car at the end of the lease. He wants me to increase my incentive to cover the repairs. What kind of charges might be assigned to this minor damage? $200, $600?

The last 335i I turned in had scuffing under the front bumper and I touched it up myself with BMW touchup paint. I didn't have any issues then.
      11-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am tranferring my lease to another private party (through BMWFS). BMW does not require an inspection for this transfer. I have curb rash on one wheel and scuffing under the front bumper.

How concerned should the new private party be about turning in this car at the end of the lease. He wants me to increase my incentive to cover the repairs. What kind of charges might be assigned to this minor damage? $200, $600?

The last 335i I turned in had scuffing under the front bumper and I touched it up myself with BMW touchup paint. I didn't have any issues then.
I'd be concerned if I was in their position since they'll be on the hook for any damage. You should probably ask for guidance from your dealer to get an idea how they would assess it. Some wheels can be repaired for a couple hundred bucks. And a scraped bumper easily touched up as you noted.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #14
Aud Dr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd be concerned if I was in their position since they'll be on the hook for any damage. You should probably ask for guidance from your dealer to get an idea how they would assess it. Some wheels can be repaired for a couple hundred bucks. And a scraped bumper easily touched up as you noted.
Agreed. I don't want to stick anybody with damage charges (although I am already giving him a $3,000 incentive so any pain should be mild).

Maybe I'll kick in for the wheel repair but the bumper scuffing is much less than I had last time. I think he'll be okay when he turns it in.
      11-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Quote:
i just went through my 3rd lease return with BMW.
if you don't get the return inspection, BMW will do the inspection...or maybe they get autovin to come. not sure who does it but that was an option for me (NJ). either way for NY and most of NJ there has to be a return inspection.
I think it's better if you are present for the inspection.
I've never had any problems with autoVIN and have used them for all my lease returns with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the inspection people i've encountered were friendly and informative.
one guy told me it isn't autovin so much as the particular manufacturer you're returning the car to. BMW is supposed to be pretty good with lease returns. Porsche not so good.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

repeat customers

I think BMW is pretty good with repeat customers and seem to be flexible with their criteria for normal wear and tear.

The other option is the dealer taking your car back directly into their inventory.
If your car is in good shape, clean carfax and low mileage the dealer would probably take it back directly.
Appreciate 0