F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Climate control behaviour
Studio RSR

11-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
pany
Rep
Drives: F30 318d SE

Climate control behaviour

What do others think of the AC?
I live in the U.K. So it's not like we get massive extremes of temperature, but I struggle to find a happy setting.

I set the climate control to auto, around 19 degrees C and AC on. I put the fan on lowest or second lowest speed.
However, there is massive temp differences on the air coming out of the vents, from very hot, to cool/ cold on the same journey with an outside temp of around 10.
I also get issues with the windows fogging from respiration if there are more than 2 people in the car.

Is this normal? I've had climate control on VAG, Vauxhall, Ford cars and never had such issues. The behaviour is a lot more like AC.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
pany
Rep

Forgot to mention. I'm not altering the temp dial on the centre console.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

What is your recirculation setting, auto? If it is in internal recirculation you will have issues with fogging control and lots of air flow, warm and cold as it 'clocks' to clear the misting.

Some HVAC basics. I'd not slow the fan speed, as it can mean you are taking the whole system out of full auto, then it is in semi auto and possibly fighting for levels. Let it settle itself, as it will run minimum fans speeds where possible.

If you are fogging, then you either have some issue, (water ingress) or need to set it up better. I assume you using the full auto, snowflake on? If not try it switched on, using full auto, to stop it needing lots of air flow to clear the mist.

It pumps in more air when the fogging sensor detects misting, and will change temperatures as it goes to more extreme levels to clear it.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Pany are you using ecopro? If so you need to reconfigure it so that the climate works in its normal mode.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
pany
Rep

Thanks guys.

Use normal mostly as driving mode. Auto fan speed normally puts it in the lower speeds, but will up speed and see if that works.

Failing that, something for garage to look at, as it needs its 20k service. Going to be quite a list.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
I'm not so happy with the system either. Just don't get the 'auto but you still set the speed yourself' mode. Like you said fog and change in temp w/o influence from me. Never had these issues in the e90.

How do you set the fan speed automatic?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
I'm not so happy with the system either. Just don't get the 'auto but you still set the speed yourself' mode. Like you said fog and change in temp w/o influence from me. Never had these issues in the e90.

Just press Auto if you want the fan speed to be controlled automatically. Trust me, you want to be able to override by +/- the fan speed, even on auto-temp.

Sometimes you want to be cool, but don't want the cold air blowing right on you. The fan speed can solve this.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post

Just press Auto if you want the fan speed to be controlled automatically. Trust me, you want to be able to override by +/- the fan speed, even on auto-temp.

Sometimes you want to be cool, but don't want the cold air blowing right on you. The fan speed can solve this.
But the fan speed stays manual even with the auto button that's what I'm complaining about
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

I've had no complaints in 2000 miles (3200 km.)
It's in auto mode, auto recirc, AC on. Up to five people in the car. No fogging, no big temerature swings. Temp is usually 72 F (22 C) but ranges between 68 (20) and 76 (24) depending on how hot/cold I feel. I usually set the agressiveness to minimum but sometimes up to the middle. Temp control knob between the front vents is usually a full cold. Outside temps have ranged from mid-30s (1 to 3 C) to low 90s (32 to 35 C.) Humidity has generally been low outside, though there was one day with thick fog. No issues then either.

Double-check your settings (particularly auto recirc, which you didn't mention) but perhaps it needs to be checked by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
I've had no complaints in 2000 miles (3200 km.)
It's in auto mode, auto recirc, AC on. Up to five people in the car. No fogging, no big temerature swings. Temp is usually 72 F (22 C) but ranges between 68 (20) and 76 (24) depending on how hot/cold I feel. I usually set the agressiveness to minimum but sometimes up to the middle. Temp control knob between the front vents is usually a full cold. Outside temps have ranged from mid-30s (1 to 3 C) to low 90s (32 to 35 C.) Humidity has generally been low outside, though there was one day with thick fog. No issues then either.

Double-check your settings (particularly auto recirc, which you didn't mention) but perhaps it needs to be checked by BMW.
That's how is should work. Same as in my F11 5-series.

For those with issues, just a point on setting the airflow intensity. Make sure you do it in auto mode, for the auto function to take proper control. Setting intensity in manual mode is a different function. (All in the user manual).

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #11
pany
Rep

Thanks again.
I thought that's how it should work and has with all previous cars.
I usually have recirculation set to off/ outside air, that might be part of the issue, but again that's how I've set the system up with other manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:57 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pany View Post
Thanks again.
I thought that's how it should work and has with all previous cars.
I usually have recirculation set to off/ outside air, that might be part of the issue, but again that's how I've set the system up with other manufacturers.
Should still work fine with outside air, it is the recirculation mode that can cause the misting.

I do wonder if there is something not working correctly. I've used BMW systems up here for years, where we have very quick temperature and humidity changes, and the systems cope very well in all conditions on full auto, with all vents open.

Current car (F11) with a very similar HVAC system to the F30, works well even on a low air intensity.

Are you sure the chiller part is working? Will it chill if you push the "max" button, or lower the temperature? If the system can't dehumidify you will have issues in some conditions.

Why I ask, some of what you describe is what can happen if you don't have the full A/C function working, that can cause misting and all sorts of air flows.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

assuming the a/c systems is the same as the one in the F10, I too also found the fan speed button logic a little odd , I was coming from a E39 where when you pressed Auto, everything was automatic including the fan speed.
So when I picked up my F10 (on a resoanbly warm day) I was surprised that he fan speed was low despite setting a low temperature and 'auto'.
WHen teh car was delivered, the fan speed was set to its minumum speed.
Looking atthe manual, and its not clear you do need to set the speed and I've set it to the middle setting and its been ok from that point on.

I'm not sure why BMW have put this logic in and its not obivious to me. I assume if auto was selected, it would handle everthing. The only expcetion of course being the ratio of warm or cold air to the vents on the dashboard which you select via the dial. In general , I have it set to the middle point dueing the winder and at cold during the summer.

AS otehr have also mentioned, if you have conigured eco pro to reign back on the a/c to aid fuel consumption it might be worth undoing that. (I have)
And also to make sure air recircualtion is not set. (I have mine set to automatic - where it supposed to detect bad odours outside the car and switch to recirculate automatically)

All of the above assumes that there is no underlying problem with your car. If its pumping out cold air that suggests you don't have a leak of gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
assuming the a/c systems is the same as the one in the F10, I too also found the fan speed button logic a little odd , I was coming from a E39 where when you pressed Auto, everything was automatic including the fan speed.
So when I picked up my F10 (on a resoanbly warm day) I was surprised that he fan speed was low despite setting a low temperature and 'auto'.
WHen teh car was delivered, the fan speed was set to its minumum speed.
Looking atthe manual, and its not clear you do need to set the speed and I've set it to the middle setting and its been ok from that point on.

I'm not sure why BMW have put this logic in and its not obivious to me. I assume if auto was selected, it would handle everthing.....
From using the 5-series, the logic is in getting the control functions more easily identified in the control panel, and away from iDrive, as in the E60. The non iDrive mode for intensity, was even more difficult to understand in the E60, IMO. F10 makes it very simple and an immediate 'visual' on where we are.

We must remember that when in 'auto' we are simply adjusting the intensity value inside the auto programme, it will still adjust itself for air flows, etc.

Manual mode changes fan speed to fixed air flows.

This may help for the 3-series.

BTW, there is a video from BMW on the F10 as well.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Sauveur
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi |2013

My driver side window and part of winshield keeps fogging up.
Any reason why just drivers side ?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauveur View Post
My driver side window and part of winshield keeps fogging up.
Any reason why just drivers side ?
Are your feet or clothing wet from rain, snow, etc when this happens? If so, that additional moisture may be why your side of the car is fogging up while the rest of the car is not (assuming this happens without any passengers in the car).

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
rtb001
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i - 2016 X3 28i

My system works well with AC on, auto recirculation, and system Auto as well. If needed, you can use the max defrost button (on the left) to temporarily defrost/defog the windshield and 2 front side windows.

The only situation where I can see someone using manual mode is if you're driving with the windows/sunroof moderately/wide open, in which case it might be a good idea for you to specify the location and intensity of vented air.

I keep the intensity on 2 bars out of 5. I think the reason you get an intensity control even in auto mode is that the system lets you control how "fast" it can try to adjust the cabin temperature to what you set.

I should probably test this when it gets hot in the summer. Basically let the car heat up, then turn it on, and if my theory is correct, then it would take longer for the interior temperature to cool down to your set degree if you have the auto intensity on 1 bar versus 5 bars.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
rtb001
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i - 2016 X3 28i

Hmm... now that I think about it some more, I wonder about the "AC" function. Multiple people have said it should just be kept on at all times, even during winter, I guess for its dehumidifying properties.

But doesn't that mean you're running the AC compressor at all times, which might lead to it giving out earlier.

On my previous cars, none of which had automatic climate control, I only ever turned the AC on during the warmer months.

What are people's opinions on whether to leave AC on all year long?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Year round A/C use is common for cars with automatic climate control for at least the last 15 years and absolutely no problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Rajput
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d 2012

To the OP. I think i have the same problem as you. Did you ever find a solution?
Appreciate 0