F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Seats - Lumbar Support Removal?
proTUNING Freaks

02-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
PoBoyR6
Track Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Sport Seats - Lumbar Support Removal?

I recently got a 2015 335i with Sport seats that have adjustable bolsters but no lumbar adjustment. I have a back that can't tolerate any lumbar support and after driving the car for a short while my lower back starts to ache because the seats have too much lumbar support and the back pain persists into the next day.

Is there any way to remove the lumbar support in the sport seats? I saw a number of threads where folks retrofit the BMW adjustable lumbar support pad into seats without that option to increase lumbar support however all I really need to do is take whatever is there out. Is it padding that may be hard to separate/remove or an air bladder that can be deflated? Am thinking it may be that latter due to the way the support feels and because the seat already has a bladder system due to the adjustable bolsters.

For now I'm hanging an upper/mid back pad from the headrest to push my back out from the lumbar support in the seat. The nuclear option would I guess be to switch out the seats. What would my options be there, where would I source them (if not from dealer) and how much would that cost approximately? Am hoping I can mod the existing seats somehow though.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Seems odd that the bolsters would adjust, but no lumbar adjust?

Are you sure there's no lumbar adjust button? I can take a picture of the Sport seats in my 335i Sportline later...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
PoBoyR6
Track Junkie
Rep

Nope no lumbar adjust because car doesn't have premium package, just M Sport package which is why I've got the sport seats with only bolster adjustment. I'm not the first one to be puzzled by this and am assuming is also why I've read of folks adding in their own lumbar adjustment setup to seats that probably should have had it in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Lumbar support comes with Premium package. If you can't adjust lumbar you probably don't have premium package thus no lumbar support.
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
My suggestion is to see if an upholstery shop can trim down some of the padding. Without lumbar support there's no bladder in the seat back.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Seems odd that the bolsters would adjust, but no lumbar adjust?

Are you sure there's no lumbar adjust button? I can take a picture of the Sport seats in my 335i Sportline later...
You need Premium Pkg (or maybe just standalone leather seats?) to have lumbar support; Sport Seats have bolsters--so if you have sport seats in Sansatec, there's no lumbar adjustment.

Why can't the lumbar be set to absolute minimum?

Last edited by tex2670; 02-29-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Because he doesn't HAVE adjustable lumbar support. He's having an issue with the seat back comfort.

As above, go to an upholstery shop, the only thing they can do is adjust the foam to your liking.

Also, kind of unbelievable that the Ultimate Driving Machine doesn't include manually adjustable lumbar support as standard.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
You need either Premium Pkg (or maybe just standalone leather seats?) to have lumbar support; Sport Seats have bolsters--so if you have sport seats in Sansatec, there's no lumbar adjustment.

Why can't the lumbar be set to absolute minimum?
Lumbar support only comes with the premium package, regardless of leather or leatherette.

Lumbar support can be set to the absolute minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
Because he doesn't HAVE adjustable lumbar support. He's having an issue with the seat back comfort.

As above, go to an upholstery shop, the only thing they can do is adjust the foam to your liking.

Also, kind of unbelievable that the Ultimate Driving Machine doesn't include manually adjustable lumbar support as standard.
Never has. Power only and only as part of the premium package.

The premium package has always been a very good value. I never do understand skipping it. But then I wouldn't skip leather and until this year leather has always been included in the premium package.
Appreciate 0