F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > crashed ( need advice)
proTUNING Freaks

01-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
southtxbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: none yet

crashed ( need advice)

Just crashed today. The car in front of me braked suddenly, so I ended up hitting it in the back. My car is 16' 320i and I got it on Halloween. What's my next step? This is the first time I ever crash and I've heard that there can be hidden damage inside the vehicle apart from what is visible. I have Allstate and I prefer to get it repaired with all OEM parts. I already made a claim and they are going to check it out on Monday. Any advice? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
maa335iF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry this happened....I'm glad you were unharmed....doesn't look too bad in pictures.

Did any airbags deploy?
      01-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Glad to see you are OK and typing. Doubt those headlights are cheap.

Airbags? I'm thinking if you want all OEM parts, you'll need to get a dealer quote? Most companies require 3+ comparison quotes, but will let you pick the place if they are within a certain $ amount or percentage within each other.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
That sucks, but as far as having wrecks go that wasn't a bad one to have. Not too hard of a hit. There may be a couple of mechanical parts right at the front that will need replacement, but most of the repair will be cosmetic.

Go to www.bmwusa.com and search Collision Repair to find a BMW Certified Collision Repair Center. These are body shops owned by a dealer, but only a handful of dealers operate one.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i sport line

Garage List
With a car this new, and as long as you don't have some sketchy insurance, they will understand if you insist on OEM BMW parts.

Like others have said, that damage isn't horrible. You should be okay. Looks like it didn't hit hard enough for any major damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

My advice - don't ask for advice on a forum. You'll get as much bad information as good, all of which will be presented as factual.

First and foremost, spend some time reviewing your policy to make sure it isn't based on aftermarket or used parts. You won't have much of a leg to stand on if it's in in black and white in the policy. If you're unsure, ask your agent or customer service. You pay them lots of money for their service, use it.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 6
      01-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
My advice - don't ask for advice on a forum. You'll get as much bad information as good, all of which will be presented as factual.

First and foremost, spend some time reviewing your policy to make sure it isn't based on aftermarket or used parts. You won't have much of a leg to stand on if it's in in black and white in the policy. If you're unsure, ask your agent or customer service. You pay them lots of money for their service, use it.

Best of luck.

This ^^

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyc View Post
they will understand if you insist on OEM BMW parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
southtxbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Best of luck.
You're right. I meant to ask for past experiences with people who own BMWs and have crashed.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
southtxbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post

Airbags? I'm thinking if you want all OEM parts, you'll need to get a dealer quote? Most companies require 3+ comparison quotes, but will let you pick the place if they are within a certain $ amount or percentage within each other.
Hey thanks. The airbags didn't deploy. I'm hoping to get it repaired at the BMW dealership close by. This is the first time I've crashed and have filed an auto insurance claim. Forgive me for being a rookie in this process
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
southtxbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa335iF30 View Post
Sorry this happened....I'm glad you were unharmed....doesn't look too bad in pictures.

Did any airbags deploy?
Thank you, and no they didn't. Hood looks messed up too. My black kidney grilles only lasted about a month on my car
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtxbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post

Hey thanks. The airbags didn't deploy. I'm hoping to get it repaired at the BMW dealership close by. This is the first time I've crashed and have filed an auto insurance claim. Forgive me for being a rookie in this process
We've all been there, cars can be replaced, it's just something at the end of the day.

I don't have experience with BMW Dealership repairs, I'm assuming the quality is good.

Like everyone else mentioned, look up the details in your policy, understand costs etc...

Good news the airbags didn't deploy (from a repair perspective).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Best of luck.
And what do you think the odds are that a young guy who's never been in a wreck and just joined the BMW family would find out about the existence of BMW Certified Collision Repair Centers on his own? Why would that even cross his mind? What do you think the odds are his insurance company would tell him?

Absolutely! Quit asking unnecessary questions! The internet has no time for such things!

01-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #14
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

When we had Safeco and my wife was rear-ended, nobody told us which body shop to go to. I called my service advisor and asked which shop the dealership uses, which is where we went and had everything done. OEM parts, ordered from the official dealer.

I am not sure if this may be written in as law in some states and mine is one of those, but never at any point we were told that we had to use a particular shop or settle for less than OEM parts. The car at that point was probably 4-5 years old.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That sucks, but as far as having wrecks go that wasn't a bad one to have. Not too hard of a hit. There may be a couple of mechanical parts right at the front that will need replacement, but most of the repair will be cosmetic.

Go to www.bmwusa.com and search Collision Repair to find a BMW Certified Collision Repair Center. These are body shops owned by a dealer, but only a handful of dealers operate one.
^^^What he said. Call today, make an appointment, and give them your insurance case number.

It sounds like your insurance is sending an adjuster over. That's fine, but let the adjuster know that you'll be taking the car to the CCRC for repairs and that they'll provide an updated estimate to the insurance company.

The repair shop and the insurance will work everything out between them once you drop the car off.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #16
southtxbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
And what do you think the odds are that a young guy who's never been in a wreck and just joined the BMW family would find out about the existence of BMW Certified Collision Repair Centers on his own? Why would that even cross his mind? What do you think the odds are his insurance company would tell him?

Absolutely! Quit asking unnecessary questions! The internet has no time for such things!
This wasn't directed at me right? Sorry.

If not, thanks. This is my first post and only did it because I crashed and was seeking advice/experiences from other BMW owners...in regards of experiences of having them repaired and the process.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #17
southtxbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
^^^What he said. Call today, make an appointment, and give them your insurance case number.

It sounds like your insurance is sending an adjuster over. That's fine, but let the adjuster know that you'll be taking the car to the CCRC for repairs and that they'll provide an updated estimate to the insurance company.

The repair shop and the insurance will work everything out between them once you drop the car off.
Ok I'll do that first thing tomorrow. I've read on the forums that it is best to request the insurance check under my name, instead of the body shop/repair center. Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #18
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtxbmw View Post
This wasn't directed at me right? Sorry.

If not, thanks. This is my first post and only did it because I crashed and was seeking advice/experiences from other BMW owners...in regards of experiences of having them repaired and the process.
Not directed to you at all. Just a little sarcastic reminder to some what the internet is good for.

01-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #19
southtxbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorskii View Post
When we had Safeco and my wife was rear-ended, nobody told us which body shop to go to. I called my service advisor and asked which shop the dealership uses, which is where we went and had everything done. OEM parts, ordered from the official dealer.

I am not sure if this may be written in as law in some states and mine is one of those, but never at any point we were told that we had to use a particular shop or settle for less than OEM parts. The car at that point was probably 4-5 years old.
I will do this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #20
southtxbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not directed to you at all. Just a little sarcastic reminder to some what the internet is good for.
Oh ok! I wasn't sure, so I had to ask. Thanks. This is what forums are for right? To exchange information.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #21
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok I'll do that first thing tomorrow. I've read on the forums that it is best to request the insurance check under my name, instead of the body shop/repair center. Is that possible?
Not if the car is financed. These days the repair center is usually paid directly. If a check was sent to you it would be payable to you and the lien holder and possibly the repair center. The lien holder (I'm gonna guess you used BMWFS) wants to make sure you get the damage repaired correctly.

01-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #22
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
It's possible but you don't really want to do it in this case. Insurance will pay the shop directly and you'll also pay the shop the amount of your deductible when you pick up the repaired car.

If your car was an old paid-off beater and you weren't going to repair it, then you could consider taking the check and skipping the repair.
Appreciate 0