F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > WHY LINES
GetBMWParts

04-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

WHY LINES

does any one see any particular reason for BMW to create this 3 line subdivisions other than making us more confused and to make us pay $2000 or so on average over the 3 lines for things that I see not that of a big deal. It creates this issue of thinking that even if u buy the no-li.e loaded you'd probably run into issues selling it later because it a "no-line". For me I see this a total money generation oriented move.
      04-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Maybe they consulted the mystic shamans of outer Germania?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz
Maybe they consulted the mystic shamans of outer Germania?
lol
      04-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Oh man, here we go again
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
soopra
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

I'm in the market and am conflicted by the lines. The $2k seems pretty steep to me on the modern and luxury lines for bigger rims and slightly different exteriors/interiors. On the other hand, the sport line seems like a better deal.

In the end I think I'm gonna get a base model and spend the 2k savings on the tech package instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
TrueBlue12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imperial 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopra View Post
I'm in the market and am conflicted by the lines. The $2k seems pretty steep to me on the modern and luxury lines for bigger rims and slightly different exteriors/interiors. On the other hand, the sport line seems like a better deal.

In the end I think I'm gonna get a base model and spend the 2k savings on the tech package instead.
Then BMW will hose you with that awful base plastic interior after having spent $40K on a car.

Last edited by TrueBlue12; 04-26-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENONX View Post
does any one see any particular reason for BMW to create this 3 line subdivisions other than making us more confused and to make us pay $2000 or so on average over the 3 lines for things that I see not that of a big deal. It creates this issue of thinking that even if u buy the no-li.e loaded you'd probably run into issues selling it later because it a "no-line". For me I see this a total money generation oriented move.
Here in the UK, BMW made a survey for the 3-series several years ago. I could see they were trying to gauge whether customers wanted packages like the lines, rather than a simple base model with a long option list. Also asked detailed questions, really to see where the price barrier was, for a package type of model.

I imagine this survey was conducted over the markets, and the 'lines' idea got the 'thumbs up' from customers.

Personally I'm not surprised to see it, as other manufacturers in Europe seem to be more into a wider range/lines idea, with more specials being added to model ranges. It seems to follow the fashion theme, but sure will make it harder to find the perfect used car, IMO, as there will be some prettty odd specced cars, once options are added to lines. That certainly looks to be the case from the UK perspective, with the lines and options we have listed.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Oh man, here we go again

Ask them:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
blindmule
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i sport

If I were a marketing exec (I'm not) I would see lines as a way to get the same product to a wider demographic. Especially an age split. I'm sure BMW wants to keep the young modders happy with edgy looks (sport) and the mature (sorry that's all I could think of) group who can actually afford the cars without haggling with a classic reserved look (luxury).

Clearly on the forum nobody likes the modern. I'll give BMW credit for experimenting here. It's hard to call them a static company when their throwing in unfinished wood.....it's kinda cool but obviously not for the North American market.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmule View Post
If I were a marketing exec (I'm not) I would see lines as a way to get the same product....
Clearly on the forum nobody likes the modern.
Whoa....hold on there sunshine. I chose Modern because of the cloth/ leather and you still get the sports steering wheel, ambient lighting etc. I don't like full leather as I find it hot in summer and cold in winter. The cloth/ leather gives me a feel of a leather interior without having to sit on it.
In the UK, the standard Modern trim is NOT the washboard wood, so no problem there. I don't like the sport interior and it isn't any quicker but YMMV - choice is good.
Saying all that, I think the idea of lines has merit (Mercedes and Audi think so too) but BMW hasn't executed well - biggest mistake was allowing each country to specify the lines. I think the biggest LCI changes will relate to the lines.
      04-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I personally dont mind the lines at all. It made it easy for me to pick what I wanted. I dont like seeing wood in a car period and I dont like soft suspension. I also love anthracite roof liner and I have not had a beige roof liner in 6 years and dont plan on going back.

So for me the lines make sense

Sport - No wood, dark roof
luxury - dark wood comfy interior
Modern - light interior
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
a4budak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmule View Post
Clearly on the forum nobody likes the modern. I'll give BMW credit for experimenting here. It's hard to call them a static company when their throwing in unfinished wood.....it's kinda cool but obviously not for the North American market.
Each line targets different age group even geographic location. I was visiting Turkey two months ago which was the first time I've seen an F30 in person and Modern line was the most ordered/sold version vs Sport or Luxury. This particular dealership had about 10 cars in stock they were almost all Modern line and they sold none Sport line.

2012 Acura MDX w/ Technology & Entertainment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue12
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopra View Post

Then BMW will hose you with that awful base plastic interior after having spent $40K on a car.
This must be a personal preference thing, because I have the baseline with Black leather and I love the Silver trim, looks/feels like metal to me. In fact I had ordered a Luxury line model but switched to the baseline after seeing the interior, plus I prefer the exterior without all the chrome trims. The only line I like is the Sport, I think that gets you some very nice upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I personally dont mind the lines at all. It made it easy for me to pick what I wanted. I dont like seeing wood in a car period and I dont like soft suspension. I also love anthracite roof liner and I have not had a beige roof liner in 6 years and dont plan on going back.

So for me the lines make sense

Sport - No wood, dark roof
luxury - dark wood comfy interior
Modern - light interior
Yes, I must agree that the dark roof liner in the Sport line is very pleasing. When I think about it, I've probably chosen too many cars with beige or grey roof liners. I would have prefered my Modern interior to be anthracite cloth/ leather but we only get Oyster in the UK (unlike USA that does get the anthracite option).
      04-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

I don't mind the lines, I agree it made it easy to select what I wanted. Hits multiple markets and the fact that all of you have different lines proves it worked to make you happier with your decision!

If it only came in the sport line half of us would complain about the red stitching and the black mirrors. And if it was only the lux line the other half of us would be flipping out. Maybe its because I am a marketing guy, but I understand why it was implemented and think it was a good choice in theory but execution still may leave something to be desired.

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
paulbazo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
I don't mind the lines, I agree it made it easy to select what I wanted. Hits multiple markets and the fact that all of you have different lines proves it worked to make you happier with your decision!

If it only came in the sport line half of us would complain about the red stitching and the black mirrors. And if it was only the lux line the other half of us would be flipping out. Maybe its because I am a marketing guy, but I understand why it was implemented and think it was a good choice in theory but execution still may leave something to be desired.
Sport makes sense, but modern and luxury force you to buy the premium package, so the cost is not only $2100 but also add the $3600 for the premium.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbazo View Post
Sport makes sense, but modern and luxury force you to buy the premium package, so the cost is not only $2100 but also add the $3600 for the premium.
Exactly. I'm not a big fan of leather seats and they are part of the premium package. The sportline is black leatherette.....or leather. I ideally would have wanted a sportline or modern line with tan or grey or any color other than black in a leatherette or fabric.
      04-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
soopra
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
Exactly. I'm not a big fan of leather seats and they are part of the premium package. The sportline is black leatherette.....or leather. I ideally would have wanted a sportline or modern line with tan or grey or any color other than black in a leatherette or fabric.
Excuse my ignorance but what's behind your preference for fabric or leatherette over leather? I'm currently considering a 328 with leather and I've only ever driven Honda's with fabric/cloth seats. I'm surprised by your preference since leather is considered "luxury" and I'm curious why. Maybe you can convince me to save $1.5k by not getting leather

Thanks.

Last edited by soopra; 04-27-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

I think by restraining the choices in each line, BMW was able to keep the cost of the lines at a very reasonable amount.

My E92 sport package was $1000, and all it got me was seats and wheels. No suspension because it was an xi.

My F30 sport line has sport seats, wheels, black headliner, red stiching, different kidneys, the sport bumper trim, suspension, red key fob, black window trim, black chrome exhaust tips, door sills, and sport+ mode.

At $2500 it's really alot for the money IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
I think by restraining the choices in each line, BMW was able to keep the cost of the lines at a very reasonable amount.

My E92 sport package was $1000, and all it got me was seats and wheels. No suspension because it was an xi.

My F30 sport line has sport seats, wheels, black headliner, red stiching, different kidneys, the sport bumper trim, suspension, red key fob, black window trim, black chrome exhaust tips, door sills, and sport+ mode.

At $2500 it's really alot for the money IMO.
Remember that the lines specification is different for the various markets, so costs are related to those variations.

Our sport line in the UK is £1000 (sterling) above the normal SE model, for a given engine spec', so looks very good value, but we don't get sport suspension, only as a further option. It is all so variable.

Stock 'lines' in the UK still need many of the option boxes ticked, to get a decent specced car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Remember that the lines specification is different for the various markets, so costs are related to those variations.

Our sport line in the UK is £1000 (sterling) above the normal SE model, for a given engine spec', so looks very good value, but we don't get sport suspension, only as a further option. It is all so variable.

Stock 'lines' in the UK still need many of the option boxes ticked, to get a decent specced car.

HighlandPete
This is true, I understand other countries lines don't have as many options included.

For the U.S. though, it's a pretty complete package.
Appreciate 0