F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

12-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #89
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Thanks Aritaurus. I will answer all the responses in one post so it is easier to respond to.

I thought that rotating it 180 degrees wouldn't work from that referenced link, since that said that the pins were mirrored horizontally not rotated. That is confirmed looking at the picture from Shawn in that thread.

The unit I am looking at already comes with a replacement GPS arial to stick behind the screen. Also I am told the screen cable is slightly different so it comes with a replacement screen cable too.

Always worried about pulling trim pieces since I have never seen it done. Do I just apply upward pressure and it on the trim piece holding the controller and it just clips out? I presume that is the same with the dash trim?

Luckily I liked the look of the Black Panel Display, so I ordered it on my original VO. Very glad that I did now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #90
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post

Luckily I liked the look of the Black Panel Display, so I ordered it on my original VO. Very glad that I did now.
6WA in an F30 has an expanded display, but is not a Black Panel Display. Black Panel displays have no gauges unless illuminated like these 6WA and 6WB Black Panels from F10:

Name:  6WA.jpe
Views: 3116
Size:  6.2 KB

6WB is 100% digital, including the gauge needles:

Name:  6WB.jpe
Views: 2626
Size:  5.9 KB

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #91
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't think that is right Shawn. In the UK the Black Panel Display is an option you can buy separately or is included with the Pro Media upgrade. Without it there is no LCD display at all other than the orange type. I have never seen an F30 without needles, only an F10.

Edit: Confirmed at this link:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781911
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #92
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think that is right Shawn. In the UK the Black Panel Display is an option you can buy separately or is included with the Pro Media upgrade. Without it there is no LCD display at all other than the orange type. I have never seen an F30 without needles, only an F10.
Do you see the gauge faces when it is off, showing the kMh and RPM's, or is it completely black, with nothing showing except the outside gauge rings and the needles?

If it is this, it 6WA, but it is not a Black Panel display:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3128
Size:  72.4 KB

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #93
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Edit: Confirmed at this link:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781911
Confirmed what? That link is for 6WB installed in an F13, but suaitable for F01, F02, F06, F07, F10, F11, F12, F13.

It is not for F30.

Where is a picture of an F30 with a Black Panel display?

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #94
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Do you see the gauge faces when it is off, showing the kMh and RPM's, or is it completely black, with nothing showing except the outside gauge rings and the needles?

If it is this, it 6WA, but it is not a Black Panel display:

Attachment 958432
It appears BMW does not agree with you. This is from the configuration screen I ordered it using on the bmw.co.uk website. It is the only black panel display option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #95
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It appears BMW does not agree with you. This is from the configuration screen I ordered it using on the bmw.co.uk website. It is the only black panel display option.
Ok. Well, if just the bottom 1/4 of the display is "black panel", and BMW feels that is enough to refer to it as a "full black panel display", I'll go with it.

But a true "full black panel display" has no instrumentation showing unless it is illuminated, which is 6WA and 6WB in the 5, 6, and 7 Series.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #96
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Ok. Well, if just the bottom 1/4 of the display is "black panel", and BMW feels that is enough to refer to it as a "full black panel display", I'll go with it.

But a true "full black panel display" has no instrumentation showing unless it is illuminated, which is 6WA and 6WB in the 5, 6, and 7 Series.
Yep. Must agree when I first specced it I expected more. But so far not an option on the 3 or 4 series, but may well be standard on the M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #97
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Does anyone know if the adapter for the USB cable from the glovebox would be the same one if moving from HU_Entry to the older CIC?

The reason I ask is I have found a BMW USB adapter cable for retrofitting the CIC unit to a HU_Entry and I want to know if the same cable will work for NBT?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #98
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Does anyone know if the adapter for the USB cable from the glovebox would be the same one if moving from HU_Entry to the older CIC?

The reason I ask is I have found a BMW USB adapter cable for retrofitting the CIC unit to a HU_Entry and I want to know if the same cable will work for NBT?
Are you planning on connecting this from the Glovebox to the NBT Head Unit?

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #99
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Apologies, I meant from the armrest to the NBT.

Here is the cable, very expensive.
http://www.caraudioexpress.co.uk/bmw...fit-cable.html
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #100
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Also wondered if for those that have retro fitted HU_NBT to a car that was previously HU_Entry, have you noticed any difference in the sound quality?

I have the HK Audio and I am distinctly unimpressed with the audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #101
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Also wondered if for those that have retro fitted HU_NBT to a car that was previously HU_Entry, have you noticed any difference in the sound quality?

I have the HK Audio and I am distinctly unimpressed with the audio quality.
My Hi-Fi sounds about the same if not better with NBT.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #102
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Strange, I coded someone's 2014 335i Xdrive today and I noticed that his NBT has different animations compared to mine.

When I go to any menu with a list or when there is something loading, the circular wheel on the screen doesn't spin like on the 2014 335i. He is on a 07/13 build date and so is my NBT. Could this be a difference between US and EU NBT head units?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #103
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My NBT unit and ENET cable will arrive today but the Emulator won't be here for a few weeks from bimmertech.

If I fitted it without the emulator for now, would I get any functionality at all that works or should I just hold on before fitting?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #104
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My NBT unit and ENET cable will arrive today but the Emulator won't be here for a few weeks from bimmertech.

If I fitted it without the emulator for now, would I get any functionality at all that works or should I just hold on before fitting?
Navigation will be greyed out, voice control won't work and you won't see BMW Apps under connected drive if it was activated. Other than those, everything else like trip computer, multimedia, office and telephone, will work.

Where did you get your NBT unit by the way? Bimmer-tech?

What did you get included with the package?

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 01-03-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #105
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Aritaurus. I will answer all the responses in one post so it is easier to respond to.

I thought that rotating it 180 degrees wouldn't work from that referenced link, since that said that the pins were mirrored horizontally not rotated. That is confirmed looking at the picture from Shawn in that thread.

The unit I am looking at already comes with a replacement GPS arial to stick behind the screen. Also I am told the screen cable is slightly different so it comes with a replacement screen cable too.

Always worried about pulling trim pieces since I have never seen it done. Do I just apply upward pressure and it on the trim piece holding the controller and it just clips out? I presume that is the same with the dash trim?

I can confirm that rotating the USB cable from the combox 180 degrees will work. I haven't tried with the glovebox cable so I can't really confirm.

Yep, the screen cable is different. My CIC cable had a ground wire that went into the CIC head unit and the NBT screen cable doesn't.

The trim pieces can actually be removed with your fingernails and it's fairly easy to take out so I wouldn't worry about breaking anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #106
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Excellent. Thanks for the response.

I got the NBT unit from a reseller in the UK from eBay. It has got the old non-touch controller with it. Weird it has no markings for DAB but does for XM. I wonder if it is a world unit that supports both.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #107
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent. Thanks for the response.

I got the NBT unit from a reseller in the UK from eBay. It has got the old non-touch controller with it. Weird it has no markings for DAB but does for XM. I wonder if it is a world unit that supports both.
My NBT came from Germany and I also have the markings for XM radio. I thought about activating it and getting the FSC code but I'm worried that it doesn't have the right hardware in there hence it'll be a waste of $250.

I have all the prewiring for XM so all I need is to get the FSC code based on the donor's VIN but it's still a $250 gamble.

I'm hoping for a way to test it so I can confirm.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #108
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I suspect it is a world radio, so will work for digital in all territories, but I'm not 100% sure.

I am hoping DAB is already enabled on mine. All 2013 cars in the UK have DAB for free.

How do you go about ordering FSC codes for a different VIN from BMW? I would have thought they would only sell you FSC's from a VIN you have bought from them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #109
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...How do you go about ordering FSC codes for a different VIN from BMW? I would have thought they would only sell you FSC's from a VIN you have bought from them.
You don't. You get someone with ASAP access to pull FSC Code Repair Kit for the other VIN (which must be newer than the current CIC / NBT VIN).

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:58 AM   #110
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Can you elaborate on that a little more Shawn?

Wow, just seen the updates for the USB cable, 1lyfe sure is a brave soul. If it involved that in my car I think I would have just left it alone!
Appreciate 0