F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Cold Air from Central Vents
proTUNING Freaks

11-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Cold Air from Central Vents

Hi all,

Anyone experienced an issue where the central vents are not blowing hot air and the central dial (just below the hazard light button), is set between red and blue. The strange thing is when I switch on the front windscreen heater button, it pumps out lovely warm/hot air!

Any tips would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Hi all,

Anyone experienced an issue where the central vents are not blowing hot air and the central dial (just below the hazard light button), is set between red and blue. The strange thing is when I switch on the front windscreen heater button, it pumps out lovely warm/hot air!

Any tips would be appreciated.
The knurled knob below the vent with a blue dot and red dot is the temperature control for those vents. Rotate it to the red. (Or perhaps it has a blue/red fader icon on the knob itself.)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Tried that as well. It kind of gets warm but need to set the temp to max to get it warm.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

Does anyone know if there was a software update to cover the air con ?
My centre (and side) vents have very strange behaviour. You can be driving a while and everything will be fine. Temperature stable, then without a change to the level of light - i.e. it doesn't suddenly become sunny, the drivers vents will start blowing icy cold air. Then after a while, it will go back to normal and slightly warm air will come out and the passenger air will blow icy cold.

I understand it is automatic A/C, but the air is so cold you have to close the middle vents. All my previous 4 BMW's didn't do this. And it is unrelated to the centre position of the blue red dial
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

I have a similar issue. When I start the car up it sometimes blow A/C cold air even though the A/C is turned off (no green light) and the centre vents knob is on hot. Switch the climate control off/on solve the issue
kevinjt151.50
      12-20-2016, 04:10 AM   #6
hakisalapaki
Private
Rep
Drives: BW 2012 F30

check coolant wather if there is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
grancoupef36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: gran coupe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by simnew View Post
Does anyone know if there was a software update to cover the air con ?
My centre (and side) vents have very strange behaviour. You can be driving a while and everything will be fine. Temperature stable, then without a change to the level of light - i.e. it doesn't suddenly become sunny, the drivers vents will start blowing icy cold air. Then after a while, it will go back to normal and slightly warm air will come out and the passenger air will blow icy cold.

I understand it is automatic A/C, but the air is so cold you have to close the middle vents. All my previous 4 BMW's didn't do this. And it is unrelated to the centre position of the blue red dial
hey this is normal. its a big flaw in my opinion. our cars have a humidity sensor built it and when it senses too much humidity it will turn the a/c on without notice and theres no control over this. theres a few threads about this actually
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #8
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

The automatic climate control is a complete disaster.

I have to change the temp in four places
  • Drivers side
  • Passenger side
  • Center vents
  • Rear vents

I don't think they could have implemented a worse system if they tried.

As you stated, the AC comes on whenever it wants, despite having it off. Also, the temp in mine has gone haywire a few times -- I'll have it set to 67 in the winter and the automatic climate control system starts cranking out 90 degree heat. I just can't figure this thing out. Total fail.
Appreciate 0