F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Common issues to look for in a used 328i F30 from FL?
ARMA SPEED

12-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
stlTDIconvert
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW TDi

Common issues to look for in a used 328i F30 from FL?

New to the forums, did some digging through a few forums and was directed this way as it was inclined that everyone is pretty active in regards to the newer gen cars.

Coming over from driving a 2012 VW TDI for the last 5 years and wanting to stick with a german made vehicle b/c I've thoroughly enjoyed the car, just couldn't pass up the buyback deal from a financial perspective.

Looking at used 2013 328i's in the 40-60k mileage and opening my options to buying out of state. The FL market seems to have some very cheap prices...

First of, is there a reason why BMW's seem to be so attractively priced down here? Flooded market with leases coming up, flooded car from the hurricane, salt water environment?

I've bought a used vehicle before with about 50k miles on it (6 year old Wrangler, fyi JEEP stands for just empty every pocket) so I'm well aware of the possibilities to buying used without CPO could mean digging into the pockets down the line.

i'm inquiring as to anything specific that I should inquire about when setting up a PPI before deciding on a 328i?

Appreciate you time and input!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
F30mb
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Alpina White

We have a very high amount of lease vehicles in this state especially south Florida, flooding is not as common unless a tropical storm or hurricane has passed then you'll have the potential for many vehicles being sold with the possibility of water damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
GatorF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EBII F30

Don't buy a used car from South Florida (Miami, Ft Lauderdale). Lots of scummy people and some really shoddy work from independent shops. Be VERY weary. CPO from a dealer is ok. Small lots and private sellers BEWARE.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
stlTDIconvert
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW TDi

Thanks for the input, some of the lowball prices I see from southern FL make it seem like it would be too good to be true without buying a car that will end up having a major fix in the near future.

I know a PPI could only do so much, but is the only route you'd be comfortable with be a CPO? I just have a hard time fathoming a car having serious flaws at under 40k miles if it was a lease, but then again I've read horror stories on vehicles not being maintained and the issues that arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlTDIconvert View Post
but is the only route you'd be comfortable with be a CPO? .
YES......unless you can start putting $$$ aside into a separate bank account for future repair/maintenance costs.

BMW repair work IS NOT cheap.