F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Sky Q.... Am I the only person who thinks it's rubbish?
Studio RSR

02-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Sky Q.... Am I the only person who thinks it's rubbish?

We have constant technical issues with the mini boxes, usually needing reset at least once a day, and one box replaced so far.

The new user interface is actually worse than the original Sky+ one.

There isn't enough in ultra HD to really enjoy that all that often.

So pausing in one room to pick up where we left is the only thing that seem like a genuine benefit, along with (theoretically) less hassle to have a multi-room set up.

What's other folks thoughts on it?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

I had it fitted before Xmas and had a few issues at first for a couple of weeks but since then it's been fine. I had problems with the mini box upstairs too. Rang Sky and they talked me through a hard reset. Turned the main box at plug for 3 mins and started main box then went upstairs and started mini box. Because the box upstairs was getting hot, I kept turning it off at the plug but I think that was the problem. Apparently, the updates are done at night so I just then left it on and it's been ok since.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Hmm sounds like standard issue scripted response from CS.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i m sport MPPSK

So far so good for me, the picture quality in HD seems better and it's a bit of a ball ache getting use to the new operating system lay out.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Cancelled sky when we moved into a rented place - thought it was just a temp thing as have friends working there who can get me staff prices....

Even at staff prices not sure I will go back to it - not missing it with net flix and free view and smart hub...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
We have constant technical issues with the mini boxes, usually needing reset at least once a day, and one box replaced so far.

So pausing in one room to pick up where we left is the only thing that seem like a genuine benefit, along with (theoretically) less hassle to have a multi-room set up.

+1 exactly the same experience. 1 box replaced and constant resetting which is a ball ache.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

The new interface is taking some getting used to. Not liking how you don't have favourites anymore, that is annoying.
The sound quality is noticably better, i have Sky Q running through an Onkyo receiver that upscales to 4k as well as the TV so picture is good even in HD and with the Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 the dog is getting well confused, he can't figure out where the sound is coming from!!
The processor speed is much quicker too, i did have an pretty old Sky box and it was getting slow.

It does have some good features, like if you select a programme that's part way through, hit select again and you have the option to start the programme from the beginning.

So far so good, but only had it a short while.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

Completely agree! I'm pretty disappointed in it. I can't believe they took all the years of feature and UI development and seem to literally started again. Feels to me like they've just skinned some cheap third party bit of kit from the Far East. Not at all in house and a backwards step.

The uselessness of the remote boggles my mind. The touch one is so hard to manipulate if you have anything bigger than child's hands and the basic one is like a bar of soap, it's ready to fly out of your hand at a moments notice! Don't get me started on how it fails to 'remotely' consider being accessible for older people or those with dexterity problems. The old Sky remote is a dream comparatively.

I'd been planning to sell our Sky+ HD box but I'm hanging on to it as I'm on the cusp of getting Sky to de-install and refund. The saving grace is the Discovery channels staying. If they'd have lost them it would have been the last straw!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Works perfectly.
Like the UHD, ability to record more than 2 profs, down load to iPad, and no need to record the same stuff in different rooms.
Menus are a bit pish, but a programmed remote solves a lot of button bashing.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #10
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

I've pretty much had it with sky, don't really watch any TV any more. I only really have it for f1 and TBH I think I'm just going to resort to alternative methods. Plus. since having the extension built I've lost signal on a few channels which is my fault but I can't be bothered to get the dish moved.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Completely agree! I'm pretty disappointed in it. I can't believe they took all the years of feature and UI development and seem to literally started again. Feels to me like they've just skinned some cheap third party bit of kit from the Far East. Not at all in house and a backwards step.

The uselessness of the remote boggles my mind. The touch one is so hard to manipulate if you have anything bigger than child's hands and the basic one is like a bar of soap, it's ready to fly out of your hand at a moments notice! Don't get me started on how it fails to 'remotely' consider being accessible for older people or those with dexterity problems. The old Sky remote is a dream comparatively.

I'd been planning to sell our Sky+ HD box but I'm hanging on to it as I'm on the cusp of getting Sky to de-install and refund. The saving grace is the Discovery channels staying. If they'd have lost them it would have been the last straw!
The technical issues I can sort of understand, frustrating as they are, and no doubt they'll sort those out, but I think it's the UI changes that annoy me the most. I've given it 6 months just see if it was a matter of getting used to it after many years of Sky+, but I think it really is just nowhere near as intuitive or as usefully functional as before.

I love the rest of the improvements in theory, but what's the point if it's not reliable.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
DexGC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D Gran Coupe

I've not had any technical issues but really disappointed by the lack of UHD content and the quality of it is nowhere near as good as 4K Kodi streams.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

One thing I really like about Sky+ HD is the interface. So the comments regarding the Q one puts me off. Apart from having a shite internet connection, I will stick with Sky+ and 'borrow' any UHD stuff and stick on a USB 3.0 straight in to the TV.

Apart from UHD (limited) content, what else does Q give you over +HD?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #14
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Theres a new UI update coming early this year. Apparently customisable home page, voice functionality amongst other things - restart live sports from the start, record six whilst watching a seventh etc. Likely to be some stability updates too.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 04:31 AM   #15
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

The interface is truely terrible, I'd like to know what idiots actually tested it as it really is poor.

Losing 1/4 of the screen on the left to a tiny picture is crap.

Taking 7 presses to get to the HD TV Guide is beyond stupid.

I'm glad I have a Logitech Harmony as I can at least use macros to get round some of the irritation.

Have occasional glitches requiring the boxes rebooted but to be fair not that often anymore it's settled right down.

Only other thing that really boils my piss is the noise of the HDD, its constant, loud and irritating.

Way too easy to delete multiple programs by mistake.

"My Q" keeps showing stuff you've deleted.

Other than that it's great lol

Last edited by SkyJawa; 02-18-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 04:35 AM   #16
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut View Post
One thing I really like about Sky+ HD is the interface. So the comments regarding the Q one puts me off. Apart from having a shite internet connection, I will stick with Sky+ and 'borrow' any UHD stuff and stick on a USB 3.0 straight in to the TV.

Apart from UHD (limited) content, what else does Q give you over +HD?
Mainly ability to record 4 things at once and watch another already recorded.

Mini box so you can watch tv and recordings from the main box in other rooms.

Think that's about the 2 main things.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #17
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

No problems with our set up, I guess we're one of the lucky ones with regards to the bugging issues people apparently have. I find it all very easy to live with from the UI point of view, can't fault it all so far.

Early days for us, so maybe the wheels will fall off soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #18
Esto-Grande
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d Gran Coupe

I came back to Sky (Sky Q) last October and immediately liked it compared to the Virgin set up.

I tend to use the older style remote hand set as I find the touch one intermittent.

I too have be plagued with the loss of connection of the mini box to the main 2TB box.

I've repostitioned the router all over the house and now it sits next to the mini box.

My son works in IT and has looked at all our (so called router IT issues) and has suggested those plugs which use the house wiring to help with signal loss and resetting the Virgin router on a weekly basis. Really, never had these issues before.

The mini box still drops out regularly and always when you want it the most.

It's bloody annoying and still don't know whether to contact SKY or keep resetting the kit.

I'm going to keep tab on this thread.
      02-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #19
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I've had no technical issues so far, no issues with the UI as I came from Virgin TiVo which must have been developed by a retarded Trump supporter on acid (let's see if the yanks invade this thread now). I use a Logitech Harmony rather than the Sky remote so that probably makes things a little easier. 4K content is sparse but it will be for a while as it's not been widely adopted by the public yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I have it now and it's been pretty stable recently. My annoyance is with occasional sound cut out and that's really annoying!
      02-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #21
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
I have to reset the mini box once a week, but at least it doesn't take 20 minutes like it did on the Sky + box. I recently moved into the new home and registered as a new customer so did get a few perks inc free mini box, free booster and a LG 43'' 4K UHD Freeview play TV which I must say is fabulous. The picture quality is superb and of higher quality than the Sky + system. 'Q' formerly op Nathan was originally intended as a limited run for Sky's high net worth clients and undoubtedly has some good features but still needs some glitches sorted out. Don't start me on Sky prices which seem to go up twice a year. Like another poster I would have left Sky when able to do so if the Discovery channels had gone .... watching Turbo at the moment featuring a Porsche 912 bliss!
      02-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #22
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

A lot of negativity here it seems...

I have but one question. If it wasn't for the £200 fee for the UHD box, (i.e. you still pay the same fortune to sky as currently) would you still bother?
is it worth getting?
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0