F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Our 4 Series (428xi) European Delivery Trip
Extreme Powerhouse

01-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

Cool Our 4 Series (428xi) European Delivery Trip

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So we got back from our BMW European Delivery a little while ago and thought I'd share our experience picking up our 428XI. This trip was the European Delivery we've always wanted to do before we took on a little delivery of our own, Stateside in June 2014!

I figure I'll start with the 2 key people who helped make the entire process seamless!

Steve Thomas BMW
David Aviles - bmwdavid@icloud.com

Rolf - rolf.pickupservice@yahoo.de

I found David through the forums and he couldn't have been any more helpful! He dealt with me being indecisive till the very end and didn't kill me. I can be quite indecisive when it comes to cars, which I'm sure he found out very quickly and may have bashed his head against the keyboard screaming "why me" a time or 2. He has a no hassle process. There is no need to negotiate because he gives you a great price straight off the bat. He gave me a phenomenal deal and was able to get me a pickup date in Welt during the week of Thanksgiving. I spoke with a few online salespeople as well as met with a few locally. The online salespeople didn't come close to his price and the one local person who was very competitive with David stopped returning my phone calls after he agreed to a price. Needless to say, when he did eventually call back it was a no brainer to go with someone who gave me the time of day (which I made him and his GM fully aware of). Just to make sure I had gotten a competitive deal, I checked with another local dealer where we didn't even get a chance to sit down before being thanked for stopping by when I told him what I was looking to pay. Not even sure why I bothered with other places since David made me feel very comfortable with my first online transaction. One bit of information that I learned that everyone can benefit from would be to make sure you get your changes in early. We had thought a change went through but I was surprised to see that it was missing when I took delivery. It was of no fault of David's, but it appears that the inquiry report may not always be as accurate as we think. Regardless, it was an extremely smooth transaction and I anticipate on taking redelivery next week on the East Coast.

TDLR - Go with David. He will take care of business right away with an exceptional price. Already sent my boss to him who will be doing ED sometime in February.

On to Rolf. I suggest anyone going to do ED try to get in touch with Rolf. He is a very seasoned BMW employee who acts as a guide on his spare time. Rolf picked my wife and I up with 1 weeks notice and was there waiting for us. He was a great deal of help as he sat with me for a bit after dropping us off at the hotel and went over all the things to see and do. Instead of doing the shuttle, I highly recommend getting with Rolf. You get a ride with a BMW enthusiast for the cost of a single ride in a shuttle and get a wealth of knowledge as a bonus. He was overall a great guy to spend some time with and pick his brain.

TDLR - Have Rolf bring you to your hotel instead of a shuttle or a cab. You won't regret it!

On to the trip!

Day 1/2

We left NY on 11/23 via AerLingus. I had higher expectations and wasn't all that impressed. Our leg from Dublin to Munich was like flying one of our domestic carriers without any tv monitor. Too bad there wasn't a sky mall magazine to keep me occupied on that leg. Upon arrival, Rolf took us to our hotel at the Olympia Park Sheraton. The hotel was a quick walk over to BMW Welt which was convenient because I managed to keep our car parked at the BMW garage for the duration of our trip. It is also very close to their subway system. The hotel offers those conveniences but is a basic hotel. If you're going during the warmer months, I'd reconsider as it is not air conditioned. There is, however a Donar Kebab across the walkway in the back from there which was AMAZING! There is also a bakery across the way that has some really nice baked goods if you catch them "fresh". I put fresh in quotes b/c it appears that it is all frozen dough, but still was great nonetheless.

Day 3

We picked up our Alpine White/Coral Red 428i xDrive on 11/25 after taking the factory tour. The factory tour is a must do! Afterwards, I checked in and we were lucky enough to secure an earlier pickup time but felt like I couldn't take it all in as I had planned since we are expecting and the wife wasn't feel all that well. We were able to borrow a BMW car seat at delivery to take pictures with so that we could use it to reveal our good news to our friends and families (us expecting a baby, not the 428; although that is pretty good news). With luck being on our side, we found out we were expecting after placing the deposit on the 4 series and booking non refundable tickets. Looks like the baby will have to get comfy in a coupe!

We created a little slideshow with the pictures we took and highlighted the one with the baby seat below. This being our 7th BMW (3 for me, 2 for her and 2 we both got together), I'm sure our friends and family knew that eventually we'd use our obsession to reveal the good news to them.

After taking delivery, I decided to drive into downtown Munich. Driving down there isn't for the faint of heart during the Christmas season. There were people everywhere and I had no idea if I should have been driving through the roads I was already on. So, the confident driver that I am, I turned back around and went back to the hotel and decided we will try this again tomorrow, but via subway instead.

Day 4

We took the subway to downtown to Marienplatz. We walked around for most of the day and went to the Hobferhaus. One thing everyone speaks highly about at that place is the pork knuckle, which I didn't try. This time of the year was great to go as you really got to take in the Christmas spirit. We could have easily spent another day roaming around.

Day 5

We went to the Neuschwanstein castle. Although Rolf drew me a map which seemed like anyone could get there. The navigation took us through some really beautiful parts of Germany. It was a very nice scenic drive. The wife wasn't all that happy with me since they didn't have busses available due to the inclement weather and we walked 1.5 miles uphill, and back down. If you do go there, there is a great restaurant at the base of the trek. It is the first one on the left as you leave the main parking lot. Also, be wary of the parking lot as I couldn't get out of it. The machine said something in German but I couldn't figure it out. Lucky for us, the only car left in the lot who were behind us were also Americans and I was able to tailgate my way out of the gate. Otherwise, we may have spent the night in a parking lot.

Day 6

We drove to Austria and went to checkout the Hintertux Glacier. Although we aren't skiers, we wanted to check out the Natures Ice Palace. Unfortunately, I had gotten 1/2 way there when I realized I had left my international license at the hotel and had to drive back and get it. When traveling to Austria, be sure to get the safety vest and sticker at the gas station before entering (the sticker is like an ez-pass). The drive up the mountain was awesome. It was 17KM up and got a little tight at times. On the way up, you got to see some really nice towns. Once we got to the top, we looked around and head back down before it got dark since it may have been difficult to do the 17km back down in the dark. It is well worth the trip. Just make sure you get up there before 2PM so you can check out the Ice Palace. We met some people from the States who said it was the best skiing around, so it may be worth spending some time up here if you like skiing.

While driving up there, I was tailed by Austrian Police. I'm not sure if I looked suspicious since I was driving a bit too cautiously or if they really liked the 4. I think it might have been the fact they never saw the 4 and decided to follow me around. When we came back to our car each time, we kept finding people all around it checking it out and taking pictures. I guess the 4 really isn't out there in full effect just yet!

Day 7

We dropped the car off at the airport and head back home. The drop off is connected to the airport so you literally drop your car off and walk into the Airport. It couldn't be any more convenient.

The European Delivery was well worth it. We had a great time and wanted to get this in before we had kids. It was one of the items on my bucket list so I'm glad I was able to get it done. I'd say we JUST made it. I think I also partly owe a thanks to Vlad in NJ who is on the forums. I initially went over to do a lease takeover of his vehicle, but when driving around with him, he told me all about his ED that he had just gotten back from and sold me on booking my own trip. Probably a loss of a sale for him, but a gain of an experience for me! So....Thanks Vlad!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Explorer3253; 01-03-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

Some shots from the museum and 2 from BMW Welt
Attached Images

Last edited by Explorer3253; 01-02-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
s0nu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 428i AW/CR

Man, ED is definitely something I wanna do at some point. Also, before I have kids. I'm glad you had a good time and congrats on the new car!!!

Also, even more congrats on the upcoming addition to your family!!! Wish you all the best

Edit: color combo looks so hot in the pic!! My fav combo!
[Jet Black 2009 328xi E90]
[BSM 2004 330CI E46 6MT ZHP]

Last edited by s0nu; 01-01-2014 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Pic
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Fazerfahrer
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330d touring F31, Z4 35is E89

Garage List
Good to hear that you enjoyed germany ;-)
      01-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nu View Post
Man, ED is definitely something I wanna do at some point. Also, before I have kids. I'm glad you had a good time and congrats on the new car!!!

Also, even more congrats on the upcoming addition to your family!!! Wish you all the best

Edit: color combo looks so hot in the pic!! My fav combo!
Not me. I'm too anal about the car. Wouldn't enjoy the trip. Just rent a Bimmer and enjoy all the rest.

Glad you had a good experience though.
      01-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
s0nu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 428i AW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Not me. I'm too anal about the car. Wouldn't enjoy the trip. Just rent a Bimmer and enjoy all the rest.

Anal about what exactly that would deter you from the experience?
[Jet Black 2009 328xi E90]
[BSM 2004 330CI E46 6MT ZHP]
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

haha id be the same way.

worried theyd prep the car poorly leaving swirls, worried about having to park it in tight congested areas everywhere on my trip, and worried about sloppy cleaning and repackaging the car for shipment and redelivery. basically i want the dealer touching the car as little as possible, so when it comes out of the factory all wrapped up, i want to undo the wrapping myself and take it to the safety of my home immediately and fully detail it.

i realize im ocd and dont represent most people, so, to the OP - congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nu View Post
Anal about what exactly that would deter you from the experience?
puma1552 and I are the same guy LOL. I'd freak about the same things as he.

I'd rather rent a Bimmer and put all of the other stuff out of mind. Ironically my car was delivered in SoCal while I was over in Germany last summer.

I did do the factory tour a few years back and I recommend that for anybody going to Munich.
      01-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

Congrats! Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great pictures and read, nice one and congratulations!
      01-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

AWESOME!

What a way to start of 2014! On behalf of David Aviles and all of us at Steve Thomas BMW thank you again!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: MSport F30

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [10.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Explorer thanks for posting such a great write up about your experience! Your BMW is almost home! I just checked and the status is 'Received at VPC'.

Customs should release it in approximately a week for re-delivery to you. I will continue to monitor it and let you know when it has been released back to BMW for processing out of the port.

Continue to blow up my phone. That's what I'm here for! And I have a new keyboard so email is cool too

You're great to work with and I wish you and your family all the best in 2014!
      01-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterX5
Great pictures and read, nice one and congratulations!
Awesome trip, awesome pics, curious as to what the advantages are of a euro delivery (aside from the trip)?

I could not see myself doing this unless it was for an M car or something I was shelling out big money for. Then again I don't think I would buy a BMW brand new either way. Great read, thanks for the thread
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Do they offer American Delivery for European buyers of the X3,X5,X6?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

I just wish they did the factory collection experience for UK buyers - we get lower prices than most of Europe (see my thread in the UK forum) but no factory collect :-(

Great write-up, I'm looking forward to my Welt trip once I have my 330d :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Does the msport come with those ///M door sills? cool
      01-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

I'm so happy and excited for you... for the new car but more so for the baby!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #18
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Cool! The wait is going to suck
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #19
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmegetatthat View Post
Does the msport come with those ///M door sills? cool
Yep. It's part of the MSport Package
      01-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #20
s2kroma
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
I don't think so
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #21
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92stance View Post
Awesome trip, awesome pics, curious as to what the advantages are of a euro delivery (aside from the trip)?

I could not see myself doing this unless it was for an M car or something I was shelling out big money for. Then again I don't think I would buy a BMW brand new either way. Great read, thanks for the thread
The main thing is the experience. You can save a decent amount if you get a good enough price. Some of it is lost when you factor in the airfare and hotel, but lucky for us, we had enough points for a free stay.
      01-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #22
Fazerfahrer
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330d touring F31, Z4 35is E89

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
... I never heard about this for us germans.

By the way, we picked up our 330d touring at 01.oct 2013 in the BMW world (it is just 120km far from our home) which was during the Oktoberfest. They told us that they normally deliver in average around 70 cars per day in the BMW world, but during the Oktoberfest that had to double the capacity to nearly 150 cars per day as a lot of new owners from the states used that time period for their european delivery .