F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i Touring - collected
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #45
Steces
Private First Class
United Kingdom
26
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: VW gone, 335d
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leithen View Post
Are yours Adaptive? Do you have link to how to adjust them?
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20939691#post20939691
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #46
ajd
Colonel
ajd's Avatar
United Kingdom
98
Rep
2,444
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steces View Post
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20939691#post20939691
Thanks for the link, I'll try that.

Looks like MOT is between 0.5% and 2% for car headlamps (<850mm high)

Last time I did this I measured the beam against a stick at distances from the headlamp. Move away 1m and the beam must drop 5mm, at 5m it must drop 25mm etc. It must not drop more than 20mm and 100mm for those same distances. It will be interesting to see where mine is set.

PS it got a wash
Attached Images
 
__________________
340i F31
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #47
ajd
Colonel
ajd's Avatar
United Kingdom
98
Rep
2,444
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

Finally realised there is a way to jump down the cogs to get the fastest gear - just pull and hold the downshifter and the car will jump immediately from say 8th to 3rd/4th - even at 70mph. Feels a bit brutal, but the feature is there.

This was news to me - does anyone else use this feature?

Anything else from a driveability point of view that I should know about (or RTFM for?)
__________________
340i F31
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #48
225
Colonel
644
Rep
2,440
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

I dont like doing that tbh as it always seems to go down a cog too much for my liking, plus I dont really see the point as if you need to floor it kick down will work or just use the left paddle.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:19 AM   #49
futureal33
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: tbc
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Preston, Lancs

iTrader: (0)

Nice looking car mate!

I also picked up a 340i touring 2 weeks ago, and I'm really pleased with it... but my observations are slightly different than yours!

Firstly....performance.. I am coming from a 235i previously... but the 340i feels lifeless after 5000rpm - whereas the 235i was much happier being revved...
I'd say tghe 340i feels more diesel in the way it delivers power, loads of low down torque but might as well change gear before 5000rpm

Strange... as I had read that the *40i engines were better at high rpm's - mine definitely seems to physically slow its pulling / torque as the revs go up!

MPG - also a bit alarmed/surprised here... Despite always going for big / fast engined cars, I do not really drive them hard (all the time!).

The 235i was averaging me 37mpg over 15,000 miles which was based on very little motorway, lots of B and A roads over an 11mi commute.

The 340i is averaging (so far) just 25mpg for the same journeys, and if I am being honest, less aggresive driving. I did a 90mi round trip on the weekend with 40miles of motorway sat at 72mph, then some fast B road around 60/70 and then a little bit of 30/40mph A road stuff. It was a good journey to really test what the car can do, with a bit of everything. Average for the trip was 28. Im convinced my 235i would have been a good 10mpg better on the same journey.

I appreciate the 340i is a lot heavier (1400kg vs 1600 kg) but with the supposedly more efficient engine, I am pretty disappointed in the mpg.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:24 AM   #50
djcowlin
Lieutenant
djcowlin's Avatar
United Kingdom
86
Rep
479
Posts

Drives: F31 340i M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Durham

iTrader: (0)

You'll find it improves as it's run in. Mine has 5K miles, and mid-30s are easily achievable on a run, even with some hard driving. Others report high 30s and even low 40s on a motorway run of the kind you describe.
__________________
2016 F31 340i | EB II | Black Dakota/blue stitching | M Sport Plus | Adaptive suspension | Icon LED lights | Interior comfort pack | Pro Plus Media | Electric seats
2016 High Up! 75PS | Red
Gone: 2013 F31 330d Luxury | MG
Gone: 2014 Golf GT 2.0 TDI | Black
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:59 AM   #51
futureal33
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: tbc
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Preston, Lancs

iTrader: (0)

Mine's already got 9000 on it :s
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:05 AM   #52
djcowlin
Lieutenant
djcowlin's Avatar
United Kingdom
86
Rep
479
Posts

Drives: F31 340i M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Durham

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal33 View Post
I also picked up a 340i touring 2 weeks ago
Apologies - I had assumed it was new.
__________________
2016 F31 340i | EB II | Black Dakota/blue stitching | M Sport Plus | Adaptive suspension | Icon LED lights | Interior comfort pack | Pro Plus Media | Electric seats
2016 High Up! 75PS | Red
Gone: 2013 F31 330d Luxury | MG
Gone: 2014 Golf GT 2.0 TDI | Black
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #53
futureal33
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: tbc
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Preston, Lancs

iTrader: (0)

I've got it going back to BMW for some warranty work (the glass decided to shatter on my speedo/cockpit this weekend for no apparent reason!) so I might ask them to give it a check

From what I've read, the characteristics of the engine, and the MPG are not what everyone else is experiencing - that is what concerns me!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #54
Chris330
First Lieutenant
Chris330's Avatar
99
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 340i F31
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal33 View Post
I've got it going back to BMW for some warranty work (the glass decided to shatter on my speedo/cockpit this weekend for no apparent reason!) so I might ask them to give it a check

From what I've read, the characteristics of the engine, and the MPG are not what everyone else is experiencing - that is what concerns me!
Really surprised reading your posts. Coming from a 435i the 340i feels in a class above for torque and 5000 + revs. What fuel are you using? The difference between standard and premium felt stark to me.

I've also got the MPPK and I'm averaging 29mpg overall and seeing 34mpg on a motorway run. I have a very heavy right foot too.
__________________
340i M F31 - May 2016 - Estoril Blue

Previous: 2008-11 320i E92, 2011-13 Mercedes C250, 2013-2015 330d M F30, 2015-2016 435i M F32
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:58 AM   #55
futureal33
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: tbc
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Preston, Lancs

iTrader: (0)

I hope there's nothing wrong with my car!

Using Shell / Tesco 99 - same as I did with the 235i.

That's the worrying thing... I don't really have a heavy right foot, at all. I drive fast on occasion, but my typical commute sees me changing gear at 2000rpm and not going above 60mph, and no stop-start - and no traffic lights - just a long B road all the way to work!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #56
Mustard3
Second Lieutenant
Mustard3's Avatar
United Kingdom
29
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: F31 340i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

futureal33:
Coming from 2 years in an M235i, your observations don't align with mine either.

My 340i pulls at least as smoothly and forcefully as the 235 in the upper rev range, and the fuel consumption is at least 10% better in all situations. 340i currently on 4800 miles.

Wondering if your 340i needs to loosen up some more or if it's not making expected boost at high revs.
__________________
Old flames: S3, M235i, E92 335d, Alpina B3, E46 M3

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #57
Mancster
Private First Class
28
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard3 View Post
futureal33:
Coming from 2 years in an M235i, your observations don't align with mine either.

My 340i pulls at least as smoothly and forcefully as the 235 in the upper rev range, and the fuel consumption is at least 10% better in all situations. 340i currently on 4800 miles.

Wondering if your 340i needs to loosen up some more or if it's not making expected boost at high revs.
Hi guys, my 2p worth here. My 340i Saloon has done just under 3000 miles now. Performance is fantastic, I must admit that I've taken it very easy and seldom red lined in but when I have put my foot down the power is just absolutely effortless and only gets stronger higher up the rev range as opposed to tailing off!

In terms of MPG, this is what has surprised me the most. I run mine of the premium unleaded fuel from Costco, not sure if that has any bearing or not. I recently drove to Cheshire Oaks from Manchester, the car averaged 52 mpg. Admittedly, a lot of the motorway journey was restricted to 50mph but even still, I was mightily pleased with that.

Last week I drove it to Bournemouth from Manchester, 270 miles. It averaged 47mpg on the journey down there, hugely impressed again. I filled it up with 65 Costco fuel before departing and topped it up with 15 Tesco fuel for the journey back (I did a bit of town driving in Bournemouth, the car estimated it had 211 miles left in the tank for the return journey so I felt I best be safe rather than sorry and top it up slightly).

Once I got back I had just under a quarter of a tank. As of today, it's done 630 miles since the initial fill up at Costco and has just gonged telling me I've got 50 miles left in the tank.

I'm absolutely astounded at that economy, particularly as I didn't expect it in the slightest. Completely in love with this car, I came back from the gym last night and drove it home in sport plus mode, wow, the power delivery is instant and the exhaust produces much more noise now at 3k miles.

In love.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #58
futureal33
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: tbc
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Preston, Lancs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard3 View Post
futureal33:
Coming from 2 years in an M235i, your observations don't align with mine either.

My 340i pulls at least as smoothly and forcefully as the 235 in the upper rev range, and the fuel consumption is at least 10% better in all situations. 340i currently on 4800 miles.

Wondering if your 340i needs to loosen up some more or if it's not making expected boost at high revs.

Hmmmm - thanks for your input. Looks like I will definitely be booking it in for a check up - something seems amiss.

Is your 340i a touring or saloon?

Mine is an ex-demo with 9000 on it, so I would have thought it should be loosened up!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #59
moff
Major
moff's Avatar
United Kingdom
292
Rep
1,450
Posts

Drives: 440i Coupe MPPSK
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nottingham GB

iTrader: (0)

I've not got my 440i yet, but I imagine it will run much better on super unleaded? This was true when I had a 135i 7 years ago, so imagine the B58 reacts better to some better quality juice?
__________________
2017 440i Coupe, BSM, Individual Opal White Merino Leather, Individual Leather Dash, Individual Piano Trim, Icon Adaptive LED's, M Sport Plus Package, HUD, Digital Dash, Reverse Camera, Lumbar, M Perf 405M 20" Wheels, M Perf. Aerodynamic Pack, MPPSK

Gone!: 2015 BMW 640d Coupe Imola Red with Ivory leather and 20" alloys
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 03:28 AM   #60
Mustard3
Second Lieutenant
Mustard3's Avatar
United Kingdom
29
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: F31 340i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal33 View Post
Hmmmm - thanks for your input. Looks like I will definitely be booking it in for a check up - something seems amiss.

Is your 340i a touring or saloon?

Mine is an ex-demo with 9000 on it, so I would have thought it should be loosened up!
It's a touring. I've taken performance figures for both vehicles using V Box and you can barely separate them.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 04:33 AM   #61
TouringPleb
Major
784
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: F31 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cambs/Beds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUFM View Post
So sweet!

That CR looks redder than others I've seen. Filter? Or as is? I did (briefly) consider red on red. Missus talked me out of it (thankfully), but when looking to get a feel for the colour, it looked duller somehow?

Your combo looks stunning!

x40i next for me. Just ticked over 10,000 miles in 4 months. Come upgrade time, should be a fraction of that and the wheelbarrow should make sense!
Yes it does appear more red in the photos! It's not so 'in-your-face' in reality.

And 10k miles in 4 months.....wow, that's some going!
Definitely agree those pics make CR look 'redder'. I've got it and to be honest I'm slightly disappointed in it. I was expecting red like the pics but would describe it as more terracotta in reality.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:08 AM   #62
225
Colonel
644
Rep
2,440
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Sounds odd. Mine has done 9k miles and certainly doesnt tail off above 5k rpm, there is another 2.5 rpm of oomph and noise left!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #63
Chompers
Colonel
Chompers's Avatar
United Kingdom
769
Rep
2,643
Posts

Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Co. Down

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll try that.

Looks like MOT is between 0.5% and 2% for car headlamps (<850mm high)

Last time I did this I measured the beam against a stick at distances from the headlamp. Move away 1m and the beam must drop 5mm, at 5m it must drop 25mm etc. It must not drop more than 20mm and 100mm for those same distances. It will be interesting to see where mine is set.

PS it got a wash
Are your wheels 403M's, they look like they have been painted

Just looked back over your spec, they look great
__________________
Curent: F31 335d xDrive MSport Individual TB / OW Merino

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport

Last edited by Chompers; 04-19-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Should have read original spec!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #64
ajd
Colonel
ajd's Avatar
United Kingdom
98
Rep
2,444
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
Are your wheels 403M's, they look like they have been painted

Just looked back over your spec, they look great
The wheels in the picture are 270M M3 (18"x8J) wheels from an E90, fitted with winter tyres.

It now has some 437M M4 wheels in ferric grey, which I think look great!

My unmarked 442M are now up for sale in the classified.
__________________
340i F31
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #65
RustyBitz
Captain
RustyBitz's Avatar
United Kingdom
191
Rep
693
Posts

Drives: Seat Ibiza
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cheshire Cat

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancster View Post
Hi guys, my 2p worth here. My 340i Saloon has done just under 3000 miles now. Performance is fantastic, I must admit that I've taken it very easy and seldom red lined in but when I have put my foot down the power is just absolutely effortless and only gets stronger higher up the rev range as opposed to tailing off!

In terms of MPG, this is what has surprised me the most. I run mine of the premium unleaded fuel from Costco, not sure if that has any bearing or not. I recently drove to Cheshire Oaks from Manchester, the car averaged 52 mpg. Admittedly, a lot of the motorway journey was restricted to 50mph but even still, I was mightily pleased with that.

Last week I drove it to Bournemouth from Manchester, 270 miles. It averaged 47mpg on the journey down there, hugely impressed again. I filled it up with 65 Costco fuel before departing and topped it up with 15 Tesco fuel for the journey back (I did a bit of town driving in Bournemouth, the car estimated it had 211 miles left in the tank for the return journey so I felt I best be safe rather than sorry and top it up slightly).

Once I got back I had just under a quarter of a tank. As of today, it's done 630 miles since the initial fill up at Costco and has just gonged telling me I've got 50 miles left in the tank.

I'm absolutely astounded at that economy, particularly as I didn't expect it in the slightest. Completely in love with this car, I came back from the gym last night and drove it home in sport plus mode, wow, the power delivery is instant and the exhaust produces much more noise now at 3k miles.

In love.
Finally someone with a 340i and fills up at Costco

I will be using Costco premium fuel when the car arrives.
__________________
ON ORDER
F30 340i M Sport Shadow Edition
CURRENT
Seat Ibiza SC FR DSG
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #66
XAlp
Lieutenant
58
Rep
484
Posts

Drives: 335d XDrive M Sport+ Touring
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Cambridge

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd View Post
Just picked up a 340i Touring.

Impressed so far overall.

Engine is quite something - it is very very quick. Its quick in a way that is actually a bit disturbing - it will take some getting used to and things happen so quickly. Extreme care is needed.

Quick questions:

- what happens to the RTTI after three years (I guess this works through the 4G) - does it revert to TMC like the old days or are you stuck paying?

- how do you set an address as "home"? I'm sure its in the manual.....
My 3 years are up but RTTI seems to be still working...
__________________
Previously:
2010 Alpina D3 Biturbo Saloon, 2007 Alpina D3 Saloon
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST