F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > xdrive w/all-seasons vs rwd w/winter tires
ARMA SPEED

01-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
xdrive w/all-seasons vs rwd w/winter tires

Ok guys. I've been reading dozens of comments of how capable your rwd car equipped with winter tires is. Could you please provide more info to support this? How much snow are we talking about? 3-4 inches or a foot or more? I live in a region where a foot of snow does occur. Would rwd with winter tires be able to blast through heavy snowfall like awd does? My xdrive is already on order but, confidently ordering an M4 next time around would be awesome.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
BimmerFan79
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I had a 2008 328i coupe rwd, with winter tires. It's not nearly as good as xDrive with all seasons. XDrive with winters would be best though.

My 2013 335i xDrive is running all seasons and its fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
Ok guys. I've been reading dozens of comments of how capable your rwd car equipped with winter tires is. Could you please provide more info to support this? How much snow are we talking about? 3-4 inches or a foot or more? I live in a region where a foot of snow does occur. Would rwd with winter tires be able to blast through heavy snowfall like awd does? My xdrive is already on order but, confidently ordering an M4 next time around would be awesome.
I've used RWD for years with snow tires. Never got stuck once. Suggest if you have a lot of snow, as opposed to more ice, then look for a winter tire that favours snow over ice (e.g. General Altimax Arctic as opposed to Michelin X-Ice 3).

In the winter, all-wheel drive is great if you often find yourself stuck in a snow drift and at least one set of wheels has traction so the power can go to the set. But I park my car in-doors and they plow the roads regularly. Roads are rare impassible.

AWD biggest problem? I don't need it all of the time. In fact, I hardly ever need it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
It all depends on what you value.

Winter tires will provide you with the best stopping and handling in ice and snow.

All wheel drive will be better suited to get up a hill, or out of a situation with less traction.

All season tires are not as effective under 45º, and will be useful for most cold/snowy/circumstances - as will RWD with snow tires.

The bottom line is that both have the potential to leave you stuck. AWD + Winter is the way to go for maximum capability. But that could be over a $5,000 investment between the different model, rims, tires.

So what do you value, the potential to never get stuck? Or adequacy in most situations? I agree with the above post, the biggest limitation of AWD is that it's not needed most of the time. When you do need it though, it may save you the aggravation of getting towed, or finding an alternate way to work or home.

My statements about this is generally the same - if you have a job or a reason why you must go out during any weather circumstance, you must get AWD + Winter setup. i.e. an ER doctor or nurse. If you can call out of work because you're "snowed in" then get whatever setup you want.

Good luck with your choice. If you want an even better visual, tire rack has some videos of E90s with all seasons vs winters and their traction and acceleration over a skating rink. Do a search for that

Last edited by Professor///M; 01-05-2014 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

With a foot if snow your car will just be a snow plow lol

PAMidge has it pretty much covered off with respect to the benefits and compromises.

At the end a good set of winters will handle 90-95% of the situations regardless or rwd or awd
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Ih8usrnms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

RWD is fine if you have a good set of winter tires however if you got big inclines or hills than you might have some issues, but other than that if you know how to drive in the snow you will be fine. We just got like 9-10" here and I had no problems getting through everywhere but there is no hills or steep inclines on my commutes. However I did see a couple AWD vehicles with all season tires stuck, most likely do to inexperience.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Keep in mind if the weather is really bad not going out is also a good option. It seems to be a shared experience of drivers around here where they swear they saw an accident involving a 15 year rusted out Sunfire or some other God forsaken piece of easily forgotten automobile history running on bald tires that has crashed into a pristine example of auto perfection which due to crumple zone (also known automobile re-purchase panels) is now being towed off to the scrap heap.

8-wheel drive and ice spikes can't prevent that. Staying home can.
Appreciate 0