F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock F30 335i Axle Back Exhaust Muffler Modification and Dissection
proTUNING Freaks

04-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #199
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedX View Post
Have we confirmed: outside/case is stainless steel and interior tubing is regular steel?
I did this on my car a few weeks ago. To answer your question, outside casing is stainless steel, inside is regular steel.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #200
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Bumping a older thread here; wondering if anyone has used exhaust wrap instead of spot welding all of the holes closed? I saw one post mention using wrap but no confirmation.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...03913138&psc=1

What i am thinking is using something like the above to wrap around the portions of tubing in chambers 1 and 3 that have holes in them, then using saftey wire/metal zip ties to secure the wrap snugly in place before sealing the muffler back up. I see two main advantages to this approach: (1) Its reversible incase the sound is undesireable and (2) you can cover the holes on the bottom of the muffler without cutting open both sides. I imagine there is not that much back pressure so the exhaust wrap should be able to "seal" over the holes reliably?

Any input is apprecaited.

(Side note just wanted to confirm the muffers are the same as the OP on a 2015 335i EWG car?)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #201
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Bumping a older thread here; wondering if anyone has used exhaust wrap instead of spot welding all of the holes closed? I saw one post mention using wrap but no confirmation.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...3138&psc=1

What i am thinking is using something like the above to wrap around the portions of tubing in chambers 1 and 3 that have holes in them, then using saftey wire/metal zip ties to secure the wrap snugly in place before sealing the muffler back up. I see two main advantages to this approach: (1) Its reversible incase the sound is undesireable and (2) you can cover the holes on the bottom of the muffler without cutting open both sides. I imagine there is not that much back pressure so the exhaust wrap should be able to "seal" over the holes reliably?

(Side note just wanted to confirm the muffers are the same as the OP on a 2015 335i EWG car?)
Yeah I don't see why the wrap wouldn't work and it sure makes things easier. Some people mentioned they were going to try JB WELD but no one has reported back yet.

Yes the mufflers are the same. Only difference on the 35i mufflers was if it's a 235i or a 335/435 they had different mounting points is all. The 235i has a slightly different curved 3" exhaust path, I'm assuming due to shorter wheel base.

I've been out of my F30 for quite some time now it's always nice to see sown of these old threads come back from the dead .
      07-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #202
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...3138&psc=1

Yeah I don't see why the wrap wouldn't work and it sure makes things easier. Some people mentioned they were going to try JB WELD but no one has reported back yet.

Yes the mufflers are the same. Only difference on the 35i mufflers was if it's a 235i or a 335/435 they had different mounting points is all. The 235i has a slightly different curved 3" exhaust path, I'm assuming due to shorter wheel base.

I've been out of my F30 for quite some time now it's always nice to see sown of these old threads come back from the dead .
I did the PE mod a couple months ago. Used wrap on one of the sections and covered the Y section in JB Weld. Also sealed the muffler back up with JB Weld. It's been solid and I'm confident it will hold fine for quite a while. Can post pics when I get some time.
Appreciate 2
Jadar1752.50
sspade2464.50
      05-06-2020, 02:19 AM   #203
harshil102
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
I did the PE mod a couple months ago. Used wrap on one of the sections and covered the Y section in JB Weld. Also sealed the muffler back up with JB Weld. It's been solid and I'm confident it will hold fine for quite a while. Can post pics when I get some time.
Is your JB Weld still holding up on the muffler? Really considering doing this and being able to do it all myself in a couple hours is always more appealing than planning and paying for someone else to do something.

Also what did you use to cut the muffler to minimize the gap to JB Weld later? Was thinking I might have to use a dremel tool rather than angle grinder to minimize the amount of space the JB Weld has to fill.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #204
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshil102 View Post
Is your JB Weld still holding up on the muffler? Really considering doing this and being able to do it all myself in a couple hours is always more appealing than planning and paying for someone else to do something.

Also what did you use to cut the muffler to minimize the gap to JB Weld later? Was thinking I might have to use a dremel tool rather than angle grinder to minimize the amount of space the JB Weld has to fill.
I am wondering the same thing. I have been inching closer toward doing this, but then i came across the following video:

Now i am just considering deleting the resonator and keeping the stock muffler because i also have fabspeed catted DP, and the resonator delete is less work than doing the muffler mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #205
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshil102 View Post

I am wondering the same thing. I have been inching closer toward doing this, but then i came across the following video:

Now i am just considering deleting the resonator and keeping the stock muffler because i also have fabspeed catted DP, and the resonator delete is less work than doing the muffler mod.
resonator delete is a lot easier, but will it not introduce more drone than a muffler delete? I'm looking into doing a muffler delete myself, and maybe a vibrant ultra queit in place of the oem resonator to help with drone.
      05-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #206
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
resonator delete is a lot easier, but will it not introduce more drone than a muffler delete? I'm looking into doing a muffler delete myself, and maybe a vibrant ultra queit in place of the oem resonator to help with drone.
Um, no. Muffler delete (not to be confused with the muffler mod from OP in this thread, delete means removing the entire muffler) will introduce way more drone than resonator delete. The whole point of the Helmholtz chamber in the muffler (see OP) is to reduce drone. The resonator may increase drone slightly, but not nearly as much as deleting the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #207
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Um, no. Muffler delete (not to be confused with the muffler mod from OP in this thread, delete means removing the entire muffler) will introduce way more drone than resonator delete. The whole point of the Helmholtz chamber in the muffler (see OP) is to reduce drone. The resonator may increase drone slightly, but not nearly as much as deleting the muffler.
gotcha, I thought about doing the "muffler mod" too when I first got the car so the valve would still work and have a queiter setting.. also thought about a muffler delete and either replacing/upgrading or adding a second resonator.. or a 1-in-2 out transverse muffler, and have it set sideways under the bumper and come back around kind of how the AWE axle back is designed.. I'm not happy with the $349 muffler I bought, you get what you pay for comes to mind. the shop said it lined up perfectly and already has tips so I was going to open it up and weld a pipe as a "muffler delete".. but all this trying to save money from buying an awe or borla atak is just going to add up in the end so my finger is itching to add to cart, checkout, and just be done with it and order the borla atak. back to stalking the classified for a while I guess..
      08-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #208
onix45
Rep
Drives: 435i

Hello,
I recently had my muffler opened up on my f36. Mine is a tad bit different inside. The center chambers' middle pipe is disconnected in the middle, probably for heat control purposes.
The active sides perforations were welded shut, but only welded the top side of the perforations on the T shaped pipe. Also about 70% of the sound deadening material was placed in the middle chamber, and about 30% of it was left in the chamber with the T shaped pipe (since there are still 50% of perforations left in there). I also have the resonator removed in the middle of the exhaust.
Result is lots of pops in sport mode, but none in comfort. Also i do not feel any more drone in highway speeds than there was before (keep in mind i have no resonator for a long time now).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
skier_du147.50
      08-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #209
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onix45 View Post
Hello,
I recently had my muffler opened up on my f36. Mine is a tad bit different inside. The center chambers' middle pipe is disconnected in the middle, probably for heat control purposes.
The active sides perforations were welded shut, but only welded the top side of the perforations on the T shaped pipe. Also about 70% of the sound deadening material was placed in the middle chamber, and about 30% of it was left in the chamber with the T shaped pipe (since there are still 50% of perforations left in there). I also have the resonator removed in the middle of the exhaust.
Result is lots of pops in sport mode, but none in comfort. Also i do not feel any more drone in highway speeds than there was before (keep in mind i have no resonator for a long time now).
Are you on stock DP and do you have a video?

I am currently running fabspeed catted DP with resonator delete on stock exhaust and i have been pondering doing this for a while if i ever want a little more volume.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #210
onix45
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Are you on stock DP and do you have a video?

I am currently running fabspeed catted DP with resonator delete on stock exhaust and i have been pondering doing this for a while if i ever want a little more volume.
Yes stock DP, no resonator and the weird configuration inside the muffler that i wrote about. I only a video inside a parking garage, with the exhaust facing a wall, so keep that in mind. But it definitely burbles for a good 2 seconds while driving, not sure i like that, seems a bit too much for me.
I am also running MHD stage1, so will double check if my burble setting is stock (99% sure it is).

vimeo.com/449356392

Last edited by onix45; 08-19-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #211
TwistedX
Really Twisted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i F23 8AT

I'm wondering what the volume of the hemholtz chamber in the muffler is and if you achieved that same volume but put it elsewhere in the exhaust system(like you see if you google hemholtz chamber exhaust) if it would be just as effective at drone reduction
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #212
BAKKI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Jadar Could the same effect be achieved by simply removing the packing material rather than spot welding the holes?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #213
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKKI View Post
Jadar Could the same effect be achieved by simply removing the packing material rather than spot welding the holes?
I would say very unlikely, and removing the packing materials would probably create unpleasant sounds as its purpose is to dampen some of the noises/air pulses as they enter the chambers. You could introduce some "tinny" sounds.

Spot welding the holes on the other hand prevents the air from entering into those chambers in the first place. So when you weld or otherwise plug all those holes, you essentially make the muffler a straight-through Y pipe while retaining the Helmholtz chamber to prevent drone.

If you are worried about being able to weld all of them, i believe some people used high temp JB weld to plug them instead.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      12-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #214
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think so, however it may cause some sound increase but to truly get the bassy sound you'd need to cover as many holes as possible. I did this on my Audi s3 resonator and it works the same way.
      12-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #215
BAKKI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Jadar thejeremyman9 Thank you, that makes sense!

You guys happen to know if this mod works for the B58 muffler?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #216
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Not sure, but i think the more popular option with B58 is to delete one or both resonators?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #217
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Theoretically you could do it to any muffler that has those perforated tubes. In fact this mod I first saw was done on e90/92 m3 and that's where it came into play for me on the f30
Platform. So short answer probably yes but like the post below the b58 cars do really well with a muffler delete.
      03-22-2021, 01:50 AM   #218
neo61uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Performance Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Theoretically you could do it to any muffler that has those perforated tubes. In fact this mod I first saw was done on e90/92 m3 and that's where it came into play for me on the f30
Platform. So short answer probably yes but like the post below the b58 cars do really well with a muffler delete.
Old thread resurrection, sorry 🙈🙈

Couldn't find anything similar for b58 in subject.
Does anyone know if b58 M140i 340i 440i muffler is done same material as 335i 435i n55?
Reading here it seems to be stainless casing and mild steel tubes.
Just wanted to make sure I got this right for b58 too.

Any help appreciated
Appreciate 0