F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > N55 motor issue- dealer can’t fix?
ARMA SPEED

11-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Orion335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

N55 motor issue- dealer can’t fix?

Hey guys,
So on cold starts, my N55 F30 sometimes has the RPMs jump around. Recently however, it burned through two quarts of oil in about two weeks. It also made the noise in the video I’m including. The noise went away, and I took it to the dealership, who couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Any ideas? 2 quarts doesn’t seem normal, and neither is the noise. Showed the service department the video too. No luck. Thanks!

Video: https://vid.me/GMKmb
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
That sure isn't right. Do you have another dealership that you can go to?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion335 View Post
Hey guys,
So on cold starts, my N55 F30 sometimes has the RPMs jump around. Recently however, it burned through two quarts of oil in about two weeks. It also made the noise in the video I’m including. The noise went away, and I took it to the dealership, who couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Any ideas? 2 quarts doesn’t seem normal, and neither is the noise. Showed the service department the video too. No luck. Thanks!

Video: https://vid.me/GMKmb
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
Engine issues. Transmission issues.

Sounds like you bought a used "lemon".

2 quarts is a lot. I'd have that engine replaced by warranty.

Are you stock? Was the previous owner stock?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

2 Qts in two weeks!! Unless you're driving 10,000 miles a week or running at Road Atlanta, that is an obscene amount. There are no signs of oil leaks in the engine bay or the belly pan? Is there any blue/black smoke coming out your exhaust? That oil is going somewhere!! Are you still under warranty? If so, continue pressing them to find and fix. If they cant/wont address, go to a different dealership and contact BMW of NA.

The engine sound is louder than normal even with the cover off. Part of that may be due to low oil if you have not topped it off to the full level. Does it remain that loud after it has warmed up? It is louder when first started as a cold engine, but normally quiets down as the engine comes up to temp.

Last edited by Orion4; 11-18-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Orion335
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
I can try. The dealer burned half a tank of gas and put around 10 miles on the car, I'll chalk that up to testing. But they scuffed my door, to add insult to injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Engine issues. Transmission issues.

Sounds like you bought a used "lemon".

2 quarts is a lot. I'd have that engine replaced by warranty.

Are you stock? Was the previous owner stock?
I'm totally stock, it's a CPO car, so I'd assume it's relatively unmolested. They told me that because it wasn't making that noise at the dealership, and because the tech couldn't find a leak, there's nothing they could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
2 Qts in two weeks!! Unless you're driving 10,000 miles a week or running at Road Atlanta, that is an obscene amount. There are no signs of oil leaks in the engine bay or the belly pan? Is there any blue/black smoke coming out your exhaust? That oil is going somewhere!! Are you still under warranty? If so, continue pressing them to find and fix. If they cant/wont address, go to a different dealership and contact BMW of NA.

The engine sound is louder than normal even with the cover off. Part of that may be due to low oil if you have not topped it off to the full level. Does it remain that loud after it has warmed up? It is louder when first started as a cold engine, but normally quiets down as the engine comes up to temp.
Two quarts in less than 1,000 miles. The car didn't give me the notification for low oil until I ran the check control myself. Even making that knocking it didn't give me a warning light or anything. It doesn't remain that loud once it's warmed up, but the engine "shudders" when it's being cold-started about 3/4 of the time. The RPMs jump around rather violently, instead of spiking and gradually settling like normal.

I was tempted to finally add some bolt-ons and do a JB4, but with this motor, I'm not playing that risk. I don't see any unusual smoke, but the exhaust tips get pretty dark, and there was what looked like slight oil residue on the engine cover. I don't drive it ridiculously hard either, my Charger was driven much harder and never gave me any issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If this is your first BMW you might not know, but is there more than usual oily smoke, especially on startup, and oil residue on the exhaust pipes?

Model year and Mileage?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can try. The dealer burned half a tank of gas and put around 10 miles on the car, I'll chalk that up to testing. But they scuffed my door, to add insult to injury.

I'm totally stock, it's a CPO car, so I'd assume it's relatively unmolested. They told me that because it wasn't making that noise at the dealership, and because the tech couldn't find a leak, there's nothing they could do.

Two quarts in less than 1,000 miles. The car didn't give me the notification for low oil until I ran the check control myself. Even making that knocking it didn't give me a warning light or anything. It doesn't remain that loud once it's warmed up, but the engine "shudders" when it's being cold-started about 3/4 of the time. The RPMs jump around rather violently, instead of spiking and gradually settling like normal.

I was tempted to finally add some bolt-ons and do a JB4, but with this motor, I'm not playing that risk. I don't see any unusual smoke, but the exhaust tips get pretty dark, and there was what looked like slight oil residue on the engine cover. I don't drive it ridiculously hard either, my Charger was driven much harder and never gave me any issues.
How the hell did the dealership go through a half tank of gas in 10 miles!? Out of the 5 BMWs I've owned, the most oil I've ever gone through is about 1 Qt in 6000 miles. Most have been less than a Qt in 7500 where I do an oil and filter change. Something is seriously amiss if you lost 2 Qts in less than 1,000 miles. There is no normal situation that would do that, even if you had a 'well-worn" engine. That oil is going somewhere. If out your exhaust, you will have a very oily thick residue and a lot of black smoke, terrible performance and badly fouled plugs.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
Orion335
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
If this is your first BMW you might not know, but is there more than usual oily smoke, especially on startup, and oil residue on the exhaust pipes?

Model year and Mileage?
There’s more than I’d expect there to be. 2014 335i just broke 50k Miles, CPO.

Quote:
How the hell did the dealership go through a half tank of gas in 10 miles!? Out of the 5 BMWs I've owned, the most oil I've ever gone through is about 1 Qt in 6000 miles. Most have been less than a Qt in 7500 where I do an oil and filter change. Something is seriously amiss if you lost 2 Qts in less than 1,000 miles. There is no normal situation that would do that, even if you had a 'well-worn" engine. That oil is going somewhere. If out your exhaust, you will have a very oily thick residue and a lot of black smoke, terrible performance and badly fouled plugs.
The car averages single-digit gas mileage when driven hard, and low 10s range normally. I thought it was running rich or something? I’m not sure where the oil is going either. I’ll take a look at the exhaust again.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
This is a wild guess given info you have provided, but I suspect someone was inside the engine in the past.

Most likely a Cylnder ring was installed backwards allowing oil into the cylinder. Bad performance and oily exhaust.

From your description, it could be more than one ring.

However, I can only go by what little info posted.

If it was new, I would say it came that way from factory. I had a MB SL that came from factory like that which is how I know. Took 18 months of complaining before issue found by Dealer.

That’s why I suspect there was engine issue and someone went into it.

Can your SA pull up service history on car?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

thats terrible! Have you looked at your plugs or did the dealer? If you do pull them, make note of which goes to which cylinder take a pic of each to see their respective condition. You're going through gas and oil like a Niagara Falls!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
Orion335
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
This is a wild guess given info you have provided, but I suspect someone was inside the engine in the past.

Most likely a Cylnder ring was installed backwards allowing oil into the cylinder. Bad performance and oily exhaust.

From your description, it could be more than one ring.

However, I can only go by what little info posted.

If it was new, I would say it came that way from factory. I had a MB SL that came from factory like that which is how I know. Took 18 months of complaining before issue found by Dealer.

That’s why I suspect there was engine issue and someone went into it.

Can your SA pull up service history on car?
I’ll ask him.

Quote:
thats terrible! Have you looked at your plugs or did the dealer? If you do pull them, make note of which goes to which cylinder take a pic of each to see their respective condition. You're going through gas and oil like a Niagara Falls!
Haven’t had the chance, I’ll look into it. Literally have only done what the dealer has done and what’s visually possible without being invasive.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

The car averages single-digit gas mileage when driven hard, and low 10s range normally. I thought it was running rich or something? I’m not sure where the oil is going either. I’ll take a look at the exhaust again.
Blimey, it’s either being driven at max rpm everywhere including when idling or there’s something wrong with it? I get mid 20s if I drive mine like a mad man who has gone mad squared
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #13
Orion335
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Blimey, it’s either being driven at max rpm everywhere including when idling or there’s something wrong with it? I get mid 20s if I drive mine like a mad man who has gone mad squared
I do a lot of city driving, which doesn’t help, but I commute in eco pro. Assuming it’s not normal lol
Appreciate 0