F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Need Help opening a hood (bonnet) with a broken latch without relying on C4.
GetBMWParts

01-15-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
bulletpr00f
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Need Help opening a hood (bonnet) with a broken latch without relying on C4.

Despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to find a solution to open the hood of my wife's 2011 BMW 328i xDrive, and I could really use some help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. The facts are:
  1. The latch on the driver's side and the one in the middle are both open, but it's the passenger side that's acting up. I'm pretty sure the cable going into the lock is completely messed up and is no longer attached to the latch.
  2. I attempted to access the latches by going up through the wheel well on the driver's side. By pulling on the latch cables, I successfully opened both the driver's side and middle latches.
  3. After that, I attempted to reach the damaged latch by taking off the liner of the passenger's side wheel well. However, there are numerous parts obstructing my access to the lock or linkage manually. The equipment is blocking my view of the lock as well.
  4. I tried removing the kidney grills above the front bumper in order to access the broken latch. Unfortunately, there's an air duct blocking my way, which leads to the radiator. I'm unable to find a solution to remove this vent, and even if I could, I'm not confident that I could reach the latch.
  5. Finally, I attempted to open the lock by inserting a bent clothes hanger into a small gap near the passenger's side headlight and pushing on the release.

Your input would be highly valued and appreciated. Let me know if you need more information.
Appreciate 0