F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > B58 Bearing Material in Oil
GetBMWParts

12-05-2023, 12:15 AM   #1
blackout_335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

B58 Bearing Material in Oil

Hi All

Back story first about my experience. Youtube DIYer and forum researcher. Prior car was a 2011 n55 335i (stg 2+ MHD, stg 2 XHP, Catted DP, Intake, Intercooler) that spun a rod bearing and developed a knock at 122k. I remember how much bearing material was in my oil along with shavings. Was not a fun time lol.

Currently have a 2020 440i GC (F36) with about 35k on odometer. See attached PDF screenshot for maintenance and notes

This is the second time I noticed bearing material in the oil drain pan. The first I chalked up to not having a new pan and maybe having residual debris in the catch pan. On the next oil change I purchased a new oil drain pan and there were no issues. Last oil change (the most recent) I found small bearing material in the oil catch pan but nothing in the oil filter.

From what I read everyone recommends getting a Blackstone lab report which I shall and will upload the results after driving another 1-2k miles. There are no noticeable ticks, knocks or any weird noises to me especially after adding LM Ceratec.

Only mod not listed that affects the engine is I have a BMS oil filter housing cap. My only thought with that is maybe the oil is not circulating properly due to a break in the bypass valve that has to be transferred over?

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F36 Maintenance.pdf (36.3 KB, 45 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:32 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout_335 View Post
Hi All

Back story first about my experience. Youtube DIYer and forum researcher. Prior car was a 2011 n55 335i (stg 2+ MHD, stg 2 XHP, Catted DP, Intake, Intercooler) that spun a rod bearing and developed a knock at 122k. I remember how much bearing material was in my oil along with shavings. Was not a fun time lol.

Currently have a 2020 440i GC (F36) with about 35k on odometer. See attached PDF screenshot for maintenance and notes

This is the second time I noticed bearing material in the oil drain pan. The first I chalked up to not having a new pan and maybe having residual debris in the catch pan. On the next oil change I purchased a new oil drain pan and there were no issues. Last oil change (the most recent) I found small bearing material in the oil catch pan but nothing in the oil filter.

From what I read everyone recommends getting a Blackstone lab report which I shall and will upload the results after driving another 1-2k miles. There are no noticeable ticks, knocks or any weird noises to me especially after adding LM Ceratec.

Only mod not listed that affects the engine is I have a BMS oil filter housing cap. My only thought with that is maybe the oil is not circulating properly due to a break in the bypass valve that has to be transferred over?

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.
B-series engines have polymer coated bearings and bearings are not considered a weak point for this engine. That needless oil additive Ceratec will settle to the bottom of the pan and can look like glitter. Dump that garbage.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0