F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > N47(F30) Oil Change in around 5-6k Kms
Extreme Powerhouse

02-08-2024, 10:02 AM   #1
rahulmr
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F30

Exclamation N47(F30) Oil Change in around 5-6k Kms

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a F30 320D and had an oil change in December. I used Motul 8100 X-Clean+ for the oil change and also replaced the oil, air, and fuel filters. After resetting, the next due date for the oil change was set for December 2024 or 12,000 kilometers.

However, I've noticed that the oil change due kilometers are decreasing at a faster rate than expected. For instance, after covering 250 kilometers, the due kilometers dropped from 12,000 to 11,000. Today, it shows a due of 6,000 kilometers when I've only covered 2,800 kilometers.

At this rate I feel I need an oil change every 5-6K kilometers

My daily commute is approximately 6 Kms each in the morning and evening, with varying terrain that includes uphill and downhill segments. Additionally, I encounter traffic, leading to occasional idling. Is this rate of decrease in oil change interval normal? Could it be influenced by driving conditions, or are there other factors like sensors or some other components?

Furthermore, when I filled the oil this time, it didn't reach the Max level despite adding around 5.5 liters. Could this be related to an issue with the oil sensor, and might it contribute to the frequent adjustments in the oil change interval?

I'm new to this, so any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. Please share your thoughts on this matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 11:59 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

What may be happening is that based on how much you're driving it's lowered the number of miles it expects you will drive by next December. Mine stopped showing a 10,000 mile figure years ago. It still likes to show me 6,000 miles even though I never drive more than 3500 miles a year. It won't drop the mileage based on the condition of the oil because it has no way of knowing that.
Appreciate 1