F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Brake Rotor Upgrade
ARMA SPEED

04-03-2024, 12:25 PM   #1
340r3ddy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
F30 Brake Rotor Upgrade

The time has come to replace my brake pads and rotors on my 2016 340i and I decided to upgrade to something with better performance. I have the base, non m-sport brakes. I decided on the Stoptech slotted rotors but after trying to find them online, they are out of stock everywhere. After some more digging, looks like the whole company is in trouble and I will be waiting a very long time if I wanted their rotors. I was suggested slotted rotors by a company called Dynamic Friction which I have never heard of. I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with these and if they are a good option for street and occasional canyon driving and autocross. If not, what other companies should I be looking at?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 01:07 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Slotted rotors are no better than plain for a daily driver. They may not even be as good. I'd be inclined to avoid them in sandy conditions too. They have their advantages on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 01:23 PM   #3
PininMargherita
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 + F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Slotted rotors are no better than plain for a daily driver. They may not even be as good. I'd be inclined to avoid them in sandy conditions too. They have their advantages on the track.
yeah plain rotors ftw. Slotted/drilled/etc can make too much noise.

your 340i probably already has the upgraded OE calipers.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 03:08 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340r3ddy View Post
The time has come to replace my brake pads and rotors on my 2016 340i and I decided to upgrade to something with better performance. I have the base, non m-sport brakes. I decided on the Stoptech slotted rotors but after trying to find them online, they are out of stock everywhere. After some more digging, looks like the whole company is in trouble and I will be waiting a very long time if I wanted their rotors. I was suggested slotted rotors by a company called Dynamic Friction which I have never heard of. I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with these and if they are a good option for street and occasional canyon driving and autocross. If not, what other companies should I be looking at?
What’s your budget for the brakes upgrade project?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 09:56 AM   #5
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340r3ddy View Post
Zero issues with OEM BMW M Performance 370/345mm brakes (discs & pads); no noise to speak of bar some very slight ticking, but you need to be driving slowly to hear that and with windows down/a surface for the sounds to reflect off etc

Superb brakes from cold; great when out pushing the car and slowing down from high speeds etc

Probably not the best for the track; but that's not what they're aimed at

I have no reservations in recommending decent slotted/grooved/dimpled discs with decent pads; I wouldn't recommend cheap crap that's cheap for a reason... That's why most folk have brake issues as they've cheaped out

But blank discs give you a much better option; I'd personally go with OEM BMW or ATE blank discs with whichever more aggressive pads you choose (Ferodo, HAWK, Stoptech etc); personally I wouldn't recommend EBC as I've found them to be crap recently (red & yellowstuff); never tried their Bluestuff. But the issues I've had were enough to put me off them full stop

That and decent braided lines and good fluid; you'll be at about the best you can get without going as far as upgrading the calipers/carriers also